ABS Light after HID install

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
Does anyone know whay the ABS light comes on after an aftermarket HID install. Last year I installed a Bi-Xenon 9007 system from HidGuy.net. Rarely I got the ABS light after turnng on the lights. No real problem....

I recently went to D2S bulbs and projectors from the retrofitsource.com using the previous Ballasts from the earlier system. Now I get the ABS light all the time when I turn the lights on after the car is started. If I put on the lights before I start the car there is no ABS light. There is no voltage drop in the system when the lights are put on approx 13.9 or so constant per my Aeroforce gauge.

If I bypass the headlight switch and activate the relay for the HID's with a direct 12V source the lights come on and no ASB.

There must be something in the Headlight switch and ABS ECU circuitry that is common that is causing the problem. Any of you guys know if a fix for this.
Thanks

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
Bought a 9007 AMP harness from the Retro Fit Source where I bought the projectors from. Installed in minutes and no more ABS light. One main difference I noticed were separate ground wires at each ballast connection instead of one main ground wire as was supplied on the original harness. The Relay Box was also entirely different. Either way it did the trick. Thanks to 006 for the suggestion....

Last edited:

spikyflame

Right Near The Beach
Established Member
I had the ABS light turn on in my car, but fixed it. Turns out the ground wire wasn't bolted down tight...which caused the light to come on aswell as other things.

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
I am resurrecting this thread as I still have the ABS light problem. Wanted to see if anyone has come up with a fix for this lately.

cbrown9064

Established Member
What about putting a relay in line with the headlights? I know you mentioned it previous, but was thinking you could take the 12v power coming from the headlight switch and send it to a relays to activate the relay, instead of the ballast. Then get a new 12v power source (isolated) for the relay to switch to the ballast. Effectively what you have done is take the ballast/headlights out of the car harness, but still turn them on via the headlight switch. No feedback from the ballast into the car harness.

?

Last edited:

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
What about putting a relay in line with the headlights? I know you mentioned it previous, but was thinking you could take the 12v power coming from the headlight switch and send it to a relays to activate the relay, instead of the ballast. Then get a new 12v power source (isolated) for the relay to switch to the ballast. Effectively what you have done is take the ballast/headlights out of the car harness, but still turn them on via the headlight switch. No feedback from the ballast into the car harness.

?

I have depo lights which come with their own harness and relays but Ive driven the car so little I can't remember if I get an ABS light or not lol

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member

?

I have a relay harness in the system already but are you saying have a another relay with yet another 12V power supply activate the relays in the harness instead of having the power from the light switch activate the relays going to the ballasts directly? I am not sure if this would do any more than the relays already in the system but I could be wrong. Maybe a diode in line going to the relays would correct any feedback issues? What do you think?

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
The relay would serve as the isolator. No diode needed

But are you saying to have another relay with yet another 12V supply activate the relays in the harness instead of having the power from the light switch activate the relays going to the ballasts directly?

Last edited:

cbrown9064

Established Member
But are you saying to have a another relay with yet another 12V supply activate the relays in the harness instead of having the power from the light switch activate the relays going to the ballasts directly?

I wasn't clear that you already had a rely between the headlight switch and the ballast. That should do it. Where are you getting 12v from for the relay power?

Users who are viewing this thread