ABS hasn't worked right in years, a little help?

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
My ABS light hasn't worked in years but I've never really minded it because I learned to cadence brake (manually working the brakes exactly like ABS does) a long time ago, BUT I think it's time to actually get it fixed.

The ABS works every so often but much more often than not it doesn't work and the stupid little light stares me in the face.

My main question is this...

How do I figure out which sensor has failed? The ABS codes aren't stored in the computer and I'll be dammed if I'm going to Ford so they can plug in some stupid special computer to that little ABS plug in front of the fuse box. Do you guys know of any way to figure out which sensor is bad without going to Ford?

Last edited:

b dub

4.10's or 4.30's??!!
Established Member
ABS codes are just as easy to pull as OBD codes. Out of curiosity what size tires do you have on there?

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
why hate on people such as me? may not be a sensor either just so you know, could be the pump, module bolted to the pump... air in the lines, or plain wiring..

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
ABS codes are just as easy to pull as OBD codes. Out of curiosity what size tires do you have on there?

As I said, ABS codes don't show up in the computer so they don't come up when you plug into the ODB 2.

I have 285's right now but I'm going to 295's in the next few months.

why hate on people such as me? may not be a sensor either just so you know, could be the pump, module bolted to the pump... air in the lines, or plain wiring..

I'm hating on you by asking everyone how to fix my ABS? :??:

b dub

4.10's or 4.30's??!!
Established Member
As I said, ABS codes don't show up in the computer so they don't come up when you plug into the ODB 2.
I have 285's right now but I'm going to 295's in the next few months.
I know. You don't pull them by going into the OBD port. 285 what? 35's? How bout the front?

SVT CAMR

Established Member
Before you do anything check the fusses. I drove around for 2-3 years with my light on. all it was a fuse was missing that I borrowed one day forgot to put it back. Ha ha. Yours could be blown or something simple. Other wise start checking resistance on the sensors and see if the fronts match and the back match the back. After if they check out then maybe start looking at the abs pump controller. There are a ton of people taking them out so they are somewhat plentiful. From what I know the 98's ABS thingy in the engine bay are specific for the year. not sure about 96-97. I think there is a guy who has a abs right out of his 97 available around here in Illinois. If you need let me know very very cheap. good luck.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
Kinda simple,but have you tried cleaning the sensors?They get pretty nasty.

Yeah, tried that a while back, made no difference :(

I know. You don't pull them by going into the OBD port. 285 what? 35's? How bout the front?

285 40 17's all around, the 295's will be 35's though

If you don't pull the ABS codes from the ODB port then where do you pull them from???

Before you do anything check the fusses. I drove around for 2-3 years with my light on. all it was a fuse was missing that I borrowed one day forgot to put it back. Ha ha. Yours could be blown or something simple. Other wise start checking resistance on the sensors and see if the fronts match and the back match the back. After if they check out then maybe start looking at the abs pump controller. There are a ton of people taking them out so they are somewhat plentiful. From what I know the 98's ABS thingy in the engine bay are specific for the year. not sure about 96-97. I think there is a guy who has a abs right out of his 97 available around here in Illinois. If you need let me know very very cheap. good luck.

Checked the fuse too, I was hoping it was just a bad connection there but no dice :(
Thanks for the other advice, next time I work on the car I'll check the resistances :)

b dub

4.10's or 4.30's??!!
Established Member
285 40 17's all around, the 295's will be 35's though.
Oh. When you run a 40 in the rear and a 35 in the front you can have problems.

If you don't pull the ABS codes from the ODB port then where do you pull them from???
You said it yourself, the diagnostic connector with the red cap near the fuse block. But you don't need a computer or anything like that, all it does is flash the ABS light on the dash.

Thanks for the other advice, next time I work on the car I'll check the resistances :)
It's easy to do this from the fenderwells where that 180 degree coupler is. It's a pain doing it from the pump.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
Oh. When you run a 40 in the rear and a 35 in the front you can have problems.

Yeah I know better than to do that, plus it would screw with the balance I've spent 2 years dialing into this thing at autocrosses :)

You said it yourself, the diagnostic connector with the red cap near the fuse block. But you don't need a computer or anything like that, all it does is flash the ABS light on the dash.

How do you make it do that?

b dub

4.10's or 4.30's??!!
Established Member
Yeah I know better than to do that, plus it would screw with the balance I've spent 2 years dialing into this thing at autocrosses :)

How do you make it do that?
Wish I could say the same, I had a light on for over a year due to different size tires. :bash:

Pin 2, the orange and white wire, in your ABS data link connector is the one that pulses your codes for you. Ground it with the key off, then turn the key on. Then count the ABS light pulses for your codes. I like to use one of those pick lights so I don't have to get back in the car, I can just stand there and do it.

Edit: If this isn't in the sticky, it should be.

12 - system ok
19 - anti-lock control module
22 - right front valve
24 - left front valve
26 - rear valve
31 - right front ABS sensor continuity fault
32 - right rear ABS sensor continuity fault
33 - left front ABS sensor continuity fault
34 - left rear ABS sensor continuity fault
41 - right front ABS sensor
42 - right rear ABS sensor
43 - left front ABS sensor
44 - left rear ABS sensor
61 - pump motor/pump motor relay fault
63 - voltage supply interruption
69 - vehicle battery voltage less than 10VDC
78 - ABS sensor frequency fault

78 is the one I got for different tire sizes. I had 40's on the back and 35's on the front.

Last edited:

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Wish I could say the same, I had a light on for over a year due to different size tires. :bash:

Pin 2, the orange and white wire, in your ABS data link connector is the one that pulses your codes for you. Ground it with the key off, then turn the key on. Then count the ABS light pulses for your codes. I like to use one of those pick lights so I don't have to get back in the car, I can just stand there and do it.

Edit: If this isn't in the sticky, it should be.

12 - system ok
19 - anti-lock control module
22 - right front valve
24 - left front valve
26 - rear valve
31 - right front ABS sensor continuity fault
32 - right rear ABS sensor continuity fault
33 - left front ABS sensor continuity fault
34 - left rear ABS sensor continuity fault
41 - right front ABS sensor
42 - right rear ABS sensor
43 - left front ABS sensor
44 - left rear ABS sensor
61 - pump motor/pump motor relay fault
63 - voltage supply interruption
69 - vehicle battery voltage less than 10VDC
78 - ABS sensor frequency fault

78 is the one I got for different tire sizes. I had 40's on the back and 35's on the front.

Great post! I don't have any problems with my abs, but if/when I do I'll be able to diagnose it now! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread