About to undertake the turbo build...have a few ??s

Jonny00GT

Established Member
End goal is 550rwhp +/-

I have a 2000 mustang GT that will be home to a rebuilt '99 teskid block cobra motor with .030 over 16cc pistons, stock length I-Beam rods, stock 99 cobra heads and stock terminator dual fuel pumps. I'll have an SCT BA2800 I will run in blow through so metering is coverd. I plan on a 70-76mm turbo with .81A/R. I have a QA-1 tubular K and A-Arms and plan to switch the manifolds DS on PS and visa versa and face them forward. My battery is already in the trunk, 10guage wire to the fuel pumps, '94 Ford Countour over flow radaitor res where the battery was. Moroso adapter plate and remote oil filter. 3" down pipe and still debating if I should run it through a cat and maybe a cherry bomb strait through muffler and out the back, dumped or side exhaust or just run pipe.

Inspection is not really a problem, but I tote the kids around in it and don't want it too loud..."sleeper" is the operative word.

I should have plenty of room to work as long as the headers clear everything...if not, I'll check out the eBay header kit...

My main questions are:

-Will my dual stock '03/'04 cobra pumps be enough for 500-550? ...or will I need a BAP?

-Should I upgrade the diameter of fuel line? 3/8 or something to help?

-I've seen some big kits only running 42s on the '96-04 cars...will that be enough?

-What kind of boost do I need to hit my goal? I was thinking 10-12psi??

-How big should my waste gate and blow off valve be? I'm on a budget, so who makes a quality piece that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

-Turbo timer necessary?

-External manual boost controller...how does that work? Do I need one?

-Turbo cover, header wrap, etc...good idea or bad idea?

Any other advice would be great. I plan to built my own piping with 2 1/4-2 1/2 exhaust pipe...use my pipe expander to slip fit and weld and leave some coupled for easy removal if the need arises, run a 3" intake through 3" intercooler and maybe add meth injection later just to keep things cool.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

-Jonny

TRBO VNM

sounds like you have a pretty good plan.

I would recommend the BAP, it will give you more room to grow later and for safety I would use it.

no need to change the fuel line or rails for that power.

on the gate and BOV sizes, not 100% sure. meaning, the power you are planning on isn't a lot, so you shouldn't need to go large, but you do want a quality part. I know some of the stuff that hellion uses just went up in price. you may want to look into the tial or turbosmart stuff.
typically with a 76mm, people are seeing about 500rwhp with 10#, so I would say 10-14# you should be in that range.

turbo timer not needed. just don't shut the car off immediately after pulls. let some cool oil run through.

blanket I would do for the 76. if you were doing a 62 or something, depending on location, I would say no need, but with the 76, I would definitely. header wrap, well, turbo's love heat to spool, so I would recommend it or coating the pipes.

boost controller, you need one to increase boost. the gate will probably come with some washers and maybe a set screw that will allow you to increase the spring pressure for more boost, but only so much and then you are set at that boost lovel unless you manually adjust it at the gate. the manual external controller or electronic allow you to adjust boost on the fly.

on the turbo, why go that large? for your power goals, a 66 would be nice, spool faster and make plenty of extra power than what you are looking for.

Last edited:

Jonny00GT

Established Member
I've gotten lots of advice on the turbo size from 62mm to 76mm. I don't want to over spin, but I'm really not looking for a street freak either...600max maybe some day down the road. I definately want fast spooling! If a smaller one will get me there, that's the way I wanna go.

Thanks for the response...any advice on injector size? Probably gonna be my next purchase on Tuesday...

Also, does anyone know if the stock manifolts fliped around and swapped sides so they still point down will clear tubular K??

-Jonny

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

the 66 is probably what you are looking for then. most 66 or 67mm turbo's will support over 700rwhp. the 60-62's are going to be a little over 600, but you will have to spin them pretty hard. the 66's will hit the 600 a lot easier. the 76 will support more, but won't hit full boost till upper 3000rpm range or 4000.

injectors, is that what you meant by 42's? I would just go with the 60's now. it will support the power later and then you are only spending the money once.

not sure about the manifilds. never tried that, but would think they will be ok from the K. not sure about the AC compressor or power steering.

Jonny00GT

Established Member
I guess we'll find out together! ;o)

Eyballing it, I think it will clear it all...better part of a U bend should get me around everything and not having that big hunk with the oil filter attached to it will help!

-Jonny

Jonny00GT

Established Member
What do ya'll think about a Grand National Garrett Turbo 60mm with .60 AR. Will that be good for a street car making 500-550rwhp starting with 9:1 compression? Compressor side only has a 3" inlet and 2" outlet. Upgraded everything and the price is right. Or is that just too small for a V8? I figure no boost lag and should still be able to get a good 14+lbs of boost out of it, right?

Opinions?

Also, at what point do I need to upgrade the stock COPs?

Last edited:

Alb Cobra

Established Member
I would use a manual boost controler it will save you well over 300$ and unless you want it for show it will keep you at the boost level you want for your power goals. My friend had a Halman manual boost controler and he liked it so that is what I bought. He was able to change his boost while on the dyno and it had a pretty good range too.

I don't plan on changing my boost levels while driving. In a way it will keep me out of trouble of having that option. I got mine for 89$ with the ceramic ball.

Jonny00GT

Established Member
Cool, yeah, I plan on using one...got one with a set screw so I can lock it down and it doesn't accidently change on me...

Users who are viewing this thread