About to pull the trigger on a Whipple GT500. Good deal?

Native

Established Member
Hey guys, thinking about pulling the trigger on a 07 GT500. It's such a beautiful and well kept car I don't think I can pass it up. Details are below.

07 GT500: White w/ blue painted stripes
17k miles
2.9 whipple (3.0 17lbs)
Forged CCW SP500's
AFCO
Tuned by reputable shop
JLT RAI
TB
Magnaflow
Gauges etc. etc.
I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple things

670whp 612TQ
Price $26,000

Thoughts?

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
My first thought with the painted on stripes and the price, is that it's been previously wrecked. It sounds like a great deal, but I'd dig into its history first.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
too cheap for there not to be something going on IMO.

either a scam or it's a salvage car

Native

Established Member
The carfax is clean. The guy painted the stripes because they were faded. He actually paints cars for a living so painting the stripes on costed him little to nothing. First thing I thought too though.

Any ideas how much the 18x11 SP500 CCW's are worth? I'd probably end up selling them and putting stock wheels on.

rlhay2

Established Member
Any ideas how much the 18x11 SP500 CCW's are worth? I'd probably end up selling them and putting stock wheels on.

I'll trade you my staggered OEM stock wheels for the CCWs! OEM 18x9.5 up front and Weldcraft widened 18x11.0 rears!!

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
If he paints cars he does bodywork too. I doubt he'd turn it in to his insurance if it was wrecked. Probably just fix it himself. Even so, if it's fixed correctly its a great deal. Doubt it will last long if he's got it advertised.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
The carfax is clean. The guy painted the stripes because they were faded. He actually paints cars for a living so painting the stripes on costed him little to nothing. First thing I thought too though.

A painter/body guy selling a car that's been repainted, for cheap... I'd be even more weary.

Native

Established Member
Dammit. Did some more digging and the guy bought the car from insurance and it had 38k in damage to it. The entire exterior and interior was vandalized by someone. The guy fixed it all himself. You guys are right he was hiding something. He told me that the seats and door panel had been cut but repaired but that was it. :nonono:

nxhappy

Established Member
ya sounded too good to be true lol . be patient man, you will find a nice one :beer:

TheGovernment

Established Member
I'm sure he means $3800 not $38,000. If it was keyed or something, 3800$ would be super easy to get. It's impossible it had 38K damage, it would be a non salvageable car and have EXTENSIVE frame damage for that much.
If he had the car for over a year, likely he fixed it to drive and did a good job, if he's only had it a few months, he butched it to sell. I've buy and sell wrecks all the time but being a painted for almost 20 years, I would never butch a personal ride... a write off? Ya, I'm not putting a bunch of time into it,.... in, out and done.

Users who are viewing this thread