About to buy a 97 Cobra.... maybe

BlownTBird

Established Member
I'm looking at buying a SN95 Cobra before winter or next spring. Anything specific I should look out for? I'm partial to the 96-98 Cobra's, and I'm going to take a look at a 97 Cobra tomorrow. 65k miles, stock. Any specific Cobra advice would be cool.

F8L BYT

Established Member
Transmission, make sure it shifts smoothly especially at high rpm's. Other than that just check for the normal things as you would any other car like fluids, and other conditions of everything

mark23svt

Established Member
What they said about the tranny, besides that and the usual maintance these cars are great in every aspect especially for the price can find a better performance car IMOP.

Cob97ra

Established Member
My T.O.B went at 75,000 miles. Replaced clutch parts along with it but the clutch disc was pretty worn.

aloo1

Established Member
if you can try to take a handheld tuner or code reader and read codes... if it gives you a p1000 code that could me it had a cel code and it was recently deleted and you will want to find out what it was before buying. (i wish i would have done this before i got mine....) check your ball joints, tires, and other things like that to see when they will need replacement b/c that could affect what you want to pay.and when driving just listen for odd noises.
good luck,
alan

Salmonsnake

Established Member
my stock clutch blew up at 127k and i got a stock 03 cobra clutch on craigslist for $150 bucks. its an 11'inch over the stock 10.5 and i love it. good luck finding a car !

BlownTBird

Established Member
So I ended up buying the car I was looking at. It's in great shape, no rust anywhere appears to have never seen winter. Only modification is subframe connectors. Fluids have all been recently changed along with spark plugs allegedly. On the test drive the car didn't exactly pull like I expected these cars to with 305 horse. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely quick. I guess that's why they say gears are a smart thing to do. My plan is to do plug wires (frpp 9mm red wires) as the originals are still on the car. Other than that, I'm not completely sure. I hear a shifter is a smart idea, so that will probably happen while the car sits over the long cold winter here.

mrxr250rider

Established Member
So I ended up buying the car I was looking at. It's in great shape, no rust anywhere appears to have never seen winter. Only modification is subframe connectors. Fluids have all been recently changed along with spark plugs allegedly. On the test drive the car didn't exactly pull like I expected these cars to with 305 horse. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely quick. I guess that's why they say gears are a smart thing to do. My plan is to do plug wires (frpp 9mm red wires) as the originals are still on the car. Other than that, I'm not completely sure. I hear a shifter is a smart idea, so that will probably happen while the car sits over the long cold winter here.

shifter gears and wires are a good idea. these motors like to rev high to about 6700 they dont come alive till 4k in my opinion

BlownTBird

Established Member
shifter gears and wires are a good idea. these motors like to rev high to about 6700 they dont come alive till 4k in my opinion

Yea I'll for sure be doing gears when I get the funds to do so. I'm debating between 3.73s and 4.10s. I'm not looking for break-neck acceleration if I have to sacrifice motor reliability by reving the thing at 4 grand constantly. What do other say about the streetability of 4.10 gears in these cars?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Transmission, make sure it shifts smoothly especially at high rpm's.
No t-45 shifts smoothly at high rpms.
these motors like to rev high to about 6700 they dont come alive till 4k in my opinion
Yea I'll for sure be doing gears when I get the funds to do so. I'm debating between 3.73s and 4.10s. I'm not looking for break-neck acceleration if I have to sacrifice motor reliability by reving the thing at 4 grand constantly. What do other say about the streetability of 4.10 gears in these cars?
3.73s are waste of money for a B headed engine. no less than 4.10s, 4.30s are better yet. 4.56s if you're a real man and have the tire to back it up.
7k isn't a problem for these engines and if you wanna be quick in the 1/4 you have to shift at 7k.
Alright, how long does the stock clutch usually go for on these cars? I'm not completely sure but I would guess the clutch on this one is still original.
I've seen stock clutches go at 12k and at 80k, their life depends on the driver and how the car was driven.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread