About the '05 Z06 vs the Cobra

BenD

Established Member
The February issue of "Motor Trend" has a comprehensive article about the new Z06. Very impressive, but what's interesting is the fact that most '03 and '04 Cobra's with basic mods, especially if they have trimmed a little weight, have practically the same power to weight ratio.

Mine for example with only a 2.80 upper, Accufab, 10" S&B filter, Bassani Cat Back and Predator canned tune dyno'd at 461 RWHP. This equates to about 542 at the crank giving me a 6.599 power/wt. ratio. However, my car has been trimmed down to 3577 lbs.

The new 06 has a power/wt. ratio of 6.3.

We ran the numbers on sambandt's car before the Stiegemeir update and he is under the magic 6 lbs per HP figure. So bottom line our Cobra's with very few mods can still blow off GM's $75,000 new car. Some of you Kenny Bell and Whipple guys with, cams, valves, polished heads etc. can really hurt the new Z06 owners feelings badly.

We're not comparing technology to technology, just brute force off the line in one quarter mile. As far as technology goes I am impressed with the pure racing characteristics of the new Z06, but not for $75,000 plus tax and insurance.

Besides this idiot dealer in Colo. Spgs., CO expects to add $10-15 grand to that. Of course no one ever said Corvette owners were brain surgeons.

04cobratorchred

I Love Being Blown
Established Member
My two brothers both have Z06's right now a 02 and 04 they were both going to traid them in for the new one, but with a $80,000 tag on them there is no way. Thats just crazy, the thing most people loved about them before was they were cheap and they could still rap 100k cars. Now it is just about 100k and if that was the case i would get a viper.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The '05 Z06 is a much better car than the last generation. Better technology and upgrades that could have resulted in the new one priced in the 70-80s but it has been said by a least one magazine that GM wouldn't make the same mistake they made with the ZR1 (overpriced for the market) so it is expected the new Z06 will sell in the 60s. Is it worth it? In my opinion, YES (if you can afford it). Can I afford it? NO. I just read an article in the latest issue of Road and Track and the performance of the new Z06 is identicle with the Ford GT. It's is by far the most powerful/fastest production Vette every produced. And as stated above, we all know that the Mustang Cobra and new Z06 are completely different vehicles so you really can't compare them apples for apples like you might between a Cobra and a Camaro SS. The Z06 is a much better car overall which is why you're paying potentially $65+ grand for it. But as far as bang-for-the buck the Cobra still rules! :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread