About head replacement!

BenD

Established Member
That is really interesting. The replacement heads have 9 threads for the plugs whereas the original heads that is currently on my car as well as many others have only four threads. It isn't a wonder that more haven't blown out.

I would say that one fact is more important then the "TICK" that seems to be the top complaint. As far as I'm concerned that is by far the most serious production screw up by Ford.

Having to check plug tightness every 3 or 4 thousand miles is a big PIA. I didn't plan to have my heads replaced unless absolutely necessary. But on that note alone I guess I will....or try! So far I've had good luck at the local Lincoln/Mercury Dealer with warranty issues.

Last edited:

predator

Established Member
That is interesting. You have to wonder when Ford does something like that why they don't just come out and say they messed up instead of "quietly" making the replacement as the problem surfaces. :rollseyes

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I wasn't aware that the new head had 9 threads. Wow! It surely would make EVERYONE (owners!) happy if Ford replaced the stock 4-thread heads. But the cost to Ford would be very high. And a relatively small percentage of owners even know about the issue. I surely would go to the dealer if my plug blew out and "request" a replacement. But it wouldn't surprise if they put up a fuss and said 'no', especially if I was modded.
:shrug:

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
I wasn't aware that the new head had 9 threads. Wow! It surely would make EVERYONE (owners!) happy if Ford replaced the stock 4-thread heads. But the cost to Ford would be very high. And a relatively small percentage of owners even know about the issue. I surely would go to the dealer if my plug blew out and "request" a replacement. But it wouldn't surprise if they put up a fuss and said 'no', especially if I was modded.
:shrug:
Yep, I just got a new set of complete 03/04 heads a couple weeks ago to replaced my melted ones. 9 threads. I head rumors they have improved coolant flow as well.

I dont think ford is going to issue a recall, mainly due to the fact that on unmodded cars having plugs blow out isnt common. When I fo8nd out I had a damaged head I was tossing around my options, but now I am glad I went with the new heads.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is great that you got the 9-thread heads. Big plus in my opinion. I have a feeling that over time we're going to hear more and more issues with plugs blowing out. Especially with so many running 15+ lbs. of boost.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Originally posted by predator
...You have to wonder when Ford does something like that why they don't just come out and say they messed up instead of "quietly" making the replacement as the problem surfaces.
Ford (and probably most manufacturers) would go broke if they had to own up to all of their engineering issues. The Cobra problems are nothing compared to other issues Ford has had...

There are thousands of late-model Ford trucks running around right now with oil leaks at the right side head gasket (due to bad deck surfaces on the block from the factory). The "fix" is a new gasket. If/when that repair fails (and it often does fail), the only real fix is a complete, new engine assembly! Ford doesn't recommend attempting to correct the block deck in the field due to the close clearances required by the new style head gaskets. Can you imagine how much money it would cost Ford to correct all the F-150s, Expeditions, Navigators, etc that had this problem? They'd be in bankruptcy tomorrow.

Many customers have had to foot the bill for new engines in Ford trucks. Can you imagine having 38,000 miles on your $40K Expedition...then you find out you have to spend $6K on a new engine...just to stop an oil leak?!?!? I know two Expedition owners personally who have been through that nightmare.

Techs have come up with the fastest way to replace a Navigator/Expedition engine...you have to SEE IT to believe it.

-Greg

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Any idea whether or not the "9-thread" heads made it into any production Cobras? Anyone have the heads off an '04 yet...or maybe someone has a bore scope to check it out. :shrug:

-Greg

grnenvy

Established Member
I think you will only hear of problems if the guy installing them doesn't no what he's doing. Not trying to be a know it all but there are alot of people on these sites that ask stupid questions and half of them should just leave there cars alone. These kinds of people always have problems and make the cobra look like a junker and give it a bad rap when they sell it.

Users who are viewing this thread