A9L swap, ?'s

JParm93

Established Member
I am going to be going to get the rest of the parts from my buddies totalled 92' LX. I am taking his computer. Is there any precautions I might not be aware of when taking it out and therefore putting it in my 93' Cobra? Any help is appreciated....

Jeff

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
No reason to make the computer swap. And, if you don't have an aftermarket MAF calibrated for 24's, it will not run right...

You will gain nothing with the swap, and prob. lose some drivability in the process...

trey193

Established Member
True you will have to have a diferent maf for the swap but its well worth it IMHO. I picked up 2tenths and 2mph with the swap to the A9l and C&L76 combo. Car ran 12.85 @108 at full weight on drag radials with a stock motor & E cam and other minor bolt ons with a 3.55 gear. ON a less than impressive 1.92 60ft. No doubt it would have went 12.50's with a better 60.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I will hazard a guess and say you picked up your gains from the C&L's leaner transfer curve, vs. the swap from the X3Z to the A9L. The only way to really tell for sure is to swap only the EEC itself, vs the EEC/MAF swap.

Don't know of anyone who has went through the trouble of doing so and then documenting it. I could do so with back to back dyno runs by loading the diffent binaries in with my tweecer, but I know the differences between the two profiles (I have a spreadsheet with EVERY difference between them), and trust me when I say that for all intents and purposes, they are very very close. In fact, there are prob. more differences between the stick and auto cars vs an A9L and X3Z car... :D

Geez, trey, almost in the 10's already? Don't waste any time, do you?

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Originally posted by 93Cobra2771
I will hazard a guess and say you picked up your gains from the C&L's leaner transfer curve, vs. the swap from the X3Z to the A9L. The only way to really tell for sure is to swap only the EEC itself, vs the EEC/MAF swap.

Don't know of anyone who has went through the trouble of doing so and then documenting it. I could do so with back to back dyno runs by loading the diffent binaries in with my tweecer, but I know the differences between the two profiles (I have a spreadsheet with EVERY difference between them), and trust me when I say that for all intents and purposes, they are very very close. In fact, there are prob. more differences between the stick and auto cars vs an A9L and X3Z car... :D

I have done back to back dyno pulls between the EEC's and there were no gains for me. X3Z/ported cobra MAF vs. A9L/Pro-M 75.

JParm93

Established Member
The reason I am asking is because I am getting a s/c from him and his A9L has been chipped to run with 24lb injectors (which I already have) and I got his 73mm C&L from him that is calibrated for the set up. So that is why I am thinking of changing the computers to keep from having to get a chip for my computer.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
If there is no other way to control your timing (such as an MSD BTM or the like), then you better do the switch - the chip prob. has the timing tables adjusted for blower use.

If he is using something for timing control, then I would stick with your stocker plus timing control. The only thing you may run into is pegging your MAF at WOT, and that depends on how much boost you will be running.

Regardless, I would shy away from the C&L and go toward a non bullet ProM, as their metering system is more accurate than C&L's...

Last edited:

02_Lightning

Established Member
I swapped my Cobra processor for the A9L the first day I had the car in 1996. The computer was tuned by Mike Wesley using Autologic though. The rest of the engine is stock aside from headers, H-pipe, 3.73, and Flowmaster..... the car runs 12.90's and screams for the lack of mods that it has.
I would highly suggest the swap as the Cobra processor does have its flaws. What I did not like was the fact that it jumped into a secondary program above 85mph with a lesser tune. My A9L is awesome - I love it. There are a few on here that have seen the car run and can attest to how it runs.

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
Originally posted by 93Cobra2771

Could you e-mail a copy of that spreadsheet to [email protected] ? I would appreciate it :D

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I switched mine when I put a different MAF and cam. This was after 2 weeks of a hunting idle problem with the cobra ecu.

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
i know richard is gonna roll his eyes when he reads this :-D
-but i took my a9l out of my gt and installed just the eec. no maf swap. just to see what happened. cobra was nat. asp. then and it ran great. im not gonna agrue that it made more hp. cause i dont know, but the manners the a9l had during and right after shifting were much better. the only way i can describe it is that the cobra eec feels like its retarding timing during shifts. i definently felt this seat o' pants. and could be why trey picked up 2tenths,2mph. :shrug:
thats just My experience. everyones combo is different though...
bryan

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Bryan - you made the swap leaving the stock injectors and stock MAF in there? If so, then the car was running rich, which would explain why the during and after shifting was running better. Bad behavior during and after shifting is usually due to a momentary lean condition... Oh, and hear you go :rolleyes: :D

Lee - no shift retard on 93 Cobra - didn't start that until 94 Cobra...

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
About what RPM in 4th gear would a stock geared 93 Cobra hit the first 95 MPH speed limiter? I want to take a look at my dyno graph to see if there is a noticable drop in power after that point.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I wouldn't expect a noticable drop, just a "leveling off" in the rate of power climb. And, the difference should be evident in your a/f - it will richen up at the same time that a degree or two of timing is pulled.

People tend to make a lot out of the 93mph speed limiter, when it is prob responsible for less than 5hp on a stock car. Course, it is prob worth more on a modded motor, maybe 10hp...

Users who are viewing this thread