A warning to GT500 owners; Fake Carroll Shelby Autographs

samcrac

Established Member
Hey there guys. I just wanted to share a warning to everyone. Just a little background; I own a couple pieces of what I know to be authentic Carroll Shelby autographed memorabilia. They were done during the charitable programs where you donate to Carrolls Children's Foundation and he would sign something. Anyway I just wanted to send out a warning to anyone who is reading this, and might be considering ordering a signed piece off of eBay or someone else.

A few months ago I lost a bid on an auction from a gentleman in Canada for a Carroll Shelby signed airbag cover. Shortly after the auction end, I was contacted by the seller basically stating that even though I lost, he'd offer me another one that he just got in. He told me he was a dealer in Canada, and if they purchase a GT500 and it has a signed dash, they remove it to sell it separately. The story made some sort of sense so I agreed to purchase it after getting photos of it and a COA. He sent me pictures of a COA, the signed cover, and a receipt.

A couple weeks later it shows up (remember shipping from Canada) and I get it; the COA wasn't a piece of paper though, it was ink printed on a piece of particle board, which is also called "Perma-Plaqued." Also the receipt that came with it was missing a ton of info and it was obvious that it was a copy of an original that had information edited from it.

When I reached out to the seller with my concerns he told me that the "Perma-Plaqued COA" is how it came with that car, and that Canada has a privacy policy that forbids them to pass on previous owner information and that is why the receipt had blanked out information. Obviously there are a lot of red flags here.

To sum up the finish of the story, I requested a refund, and he agreed to one minus a few fees, but then offered to refund me to keep it for just the cost of the replacement dash cover (which parts cost is like a couple hundred dollars). I didn't accept any of these options and opened up a paypal case.

I bring all this up because the same seller went and posted basically the same thing he sold me and a few others on eBay again. The big issue is that this username, and another (don't know it off the top of my head) from the SAME area in Canada is selling various signed Shelby items. All of them come with a COA, however, every single COA is "Perma-Plaqued."

Anyway, NONE of his items come with an original COA, and he is continuously selling them over and over. I am convinced this individual is not being honest, although I don't have any real way of confirming his items authentic or not, I thought I would just issue a warning to the community.

Here is a link to one of his current listings:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2013-F...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a42829ca3&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
I have a poster of my car with an authentic signature from Shelby that came with a certificate of authenticity. I think my real signature has 2 vertical lines on the underline and the autopen comes with three (not sure need to double check). If you are going to buy a Shelby autographed part you need to ask for the COA.

Brute

Established Member
It is curious that the eBay seller has 100% positive feedback (in red font too) on the eBay link OP provided.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Are the COAs numbered so they can be tied back to the item?

Report this to Shelby directly so they can go after him. They have a whole legal team that focuses on these issues.

Tom

nxhappy

Established Member
I have a signed armrest.....where can I get a COA for it, or have it verified ??

bossnova3

Established Member
Again the seller has 100% feedback why didn't the OP gave him a negative feedback for all the problems?

Users who are viewing this thread