A Little Disappointed in Mcleod

03zincyellowsvt

Established Member
I recently bought a mcleod sfi bellhousing from lethal p. because of all the good things ive heard about their rst and rxt clutches, but after installing it im pretty disappointed. first the rear plate part of it wouldnt sit flush to the block until i ground a little notch for one of the heater core tubes and i also had to grind one of the nuts that were welded to the back of it off to get it right. second the bolts that they supply for the transmission are way short two of them wont even catch the threads and the rest are barely even in. i know this is small stuff but i guess when i spend money on parts i expect them to fit right and not have to dick around with them.

03zincyellowsvt

Established Member
i plan on doing a lot more drag racing this year and if you run faster than 11.49 i believe you need a blow proof bell housing

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
The first time I picked up my Spec twin disc clutch I was quite happy I spent the extra money and bought a QuickTime bellhousing/scattershield to go with it. That clutch is quite heavy so the amount of energy stored in it and the flywheel when you're revving your engine up to 7000rpm is huge. If it were to fly apart which clutches/flywheels certainly can, it's nice piece of mind to have something solid between you and it. The stock bellhousing must weigh all of 5lbs and it wouldn't stop anything if something were to go south. It's cheap insurance considering it could save the use of your legs.

03zincyellowsvt

Established Member
The first time I picked up my Spec twin disc clutch I was quite happy I spent the extra money and bought a QuickTime bellhousing/scattershield to go with it. That clutch is quite heavy so the amount of energy stored in it and the flywheel when you're revving your engine up to 7000rpm is huge. If it were to fly apart which clutches/flywheels certainly can, it's nice piece of mind to have something solid between you and it. The stock bellhousing must weigh all of 5lbs and it wouldn't stop anything if something were to go south. It's cheap insurance considering it could save the use of your legs.

thats my reasoning it may be like a one in a million that the clutch/ flywheel comes apart but if it does i will still have my feet, and i like my feet they may not be pretty but they are MY feet

pdm

Established Member
yeah exactly man, it's better to buy it and if you don't need it no big deal. Better than living the rest of your life without your legs

The real truth. May or may not ever happen, but confidence in your equipment will make faster.

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
Damn you guys are crackin me up hahah. I didn't think this type of thing happened but now I am thinkin of getting one when i pull the trans for a rebuild.

mmustangsrus

boost makes daddy happy
Established Member
QuickTime > McLeod

THIS !!!!!

i almost bought a mcleod until i heard this too & then called friend that has lots of exp. with both & he said the same ! sucks you had to find out that way

i plan on doing a lot more drag racing this year and if you run faster than 11.49 i believe you need a blow proof bell housing
same here ! but i`m doing for my safety more plus my car is a vert & is knocking on that door with dr`s

i bought a metco d/s loop too

mds370

Established Member
I recently bought a mcleod sfi bellhousing from lethal p. because of all the good things ive heard about their rst and rxt clutches, but after installing it im pretty disappointed. first the rear plate part of it wouldnt sit flush to the block until i ground a little notch for one of the heater core tubes and i also had to grind one of the nuts that were welded to the back of it off to get it right. second the bolts that they supply for the transmission are way short two of them wont even catch the threads and the rest are barely even in. i know this is small stuff but i guess when i spend money on parts i expect them to fit right and not have to dick around with them.

Are those the only issues you had? I ask because I just bought one directly from Mcleod through Ebay. I wont be ready to install for a few months while I build my motor. The price was right so I had to grab it.

03zincyellowsvt

Established Member
Are those the only issues you had? I ask because I just bought one directly from Mcleod through Ebay. I wont be ready to install for a few months while I build my motor. The price was right so I had to grab it.

yea i know its small stuff but with the rep that mcleod has i expected it to fit right in. but to be honest the part that really pissed me off wasnt the fact that i had to grind stuff but the fact that the bolts they supplied to bolt the trans to the bellhousing werent nearly long enough i mean what if i hadnt noticed that and they came apart while i was driving on the street or at the track.

mds370

Established Member
yea i know its small stuff but with the rep that mcleod has i expected it to fit right in. but to be honest the part that really pissed me off wasnt the fact that i had to grind stuff but the fact that the bolts they supplied to bolt the trans to the bellhousing werent nearly long enough i mean what if i hadnt noticed that and they came apart while i was driving on the street or at the track.

I understand exactly what you mean. I purchased mine thinking it would be a direct drop in, with no modifications. After reading your initial post, I just wanted to make sure there were no other surprises.

thanks

03zincyellowsvt

Established Member
yea so i ran into another little issue with this thing today the little plate where the clutch fork goes also doesnt fit because there is no slots for it. seriously **** this thing, im about to pull everything apart and put the stock one back in.

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
Are you talking about the dust shield? Yeah I can't say I am surprised that doesn't fit, shouldn't be too hard to rig something up if you really want to cover the opening. Not sure if it's covered on the Quicktime either.

03zincyellowsvt

Established Member
I was also having a bitch of a time getting the clutch adjusted, does anyone know if your supposed to use an aftermarket clutch fork as well? i called mcleod and got to conflicting stories, but a friend of mine that is a more experienced racer said that i might need one.

Spoolx

Established Member
I think you need an extended clutch fork, I know I did for my mcleod bellhousing

Users who are viewing this thread