A little different Mod from the norm

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
This won't be for everyone, but I've had a lot of fun with this mod. The pics are just from my phone so they arn't great, but you can get the idea. I'll get better pics of the car at some point, probably after I get it detailed on March 8th. Some sun and warm weather would be helpful as well. This mod rounds out "Phase 1" for me. :-D

eca14e7d-2e10-4b1b-a6bb-441ef3f76201_zpsbbc7d308.jpg

84efee7a-da99-4fac-83e4-4616e718afbe_zps89fb4b44.jpg

ada34529-1edb-4741-8b9b-ee0058c0bad6_zps82cebd0b.jpg

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Just be careful. Those won't do you any favors in a rollover without a cage.

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Looks good...functional, not so much.

I like it though!

DareBear

Established Member
Yup yup need some pics of the back to see how much is involved. Looks real boss from the front bad ass mod:rockon:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Thanks for the comments guys. Several of you have posted legitimate points, but they are all ones I am aware of and that I've considered. I'll get better pictures of the inside of the car for you this Friday or Saturday when it's supposed to be sunny and warm.

I'll address a couple of comments real quick though:

- The belts will work for my needs just fine without significant risk to me. These are perfect for autocrossing in a massive parkinglot where speeds rarely get over 50mph and there is nothing to run into except a little orange rubber cone.

- The belts do not limit me in any way whatsoever, whether it be track conditions/rules or state laws. Why? Because the factory belts are still installed and in working condition in addition to these belts. If there is ever a situation where the use of these belts would be inappropriate I will simply slide the belts back out the hole in the seat and out of the way (or I can unwrap them and take them out completely in all of 5 min) and I'll just use the stock belts. I can use either the harness or the factory belts at any time. Whichever i'm in the mood for that day. This mod isn't "instead of", it's "In addition to". :thumbsup:

- No, the rear seats are still functional. I sat in the back seats while wrapping the the excessive belt webbing up out of the way. There is a support bar on each side which connects to the harness bar itself. You have to duck beneath the harness bar to get in the seat, but it's not any big deal. The bigger question would be how safe someone would be back there though. I don't have any padding on the bar because I don't have kids and don't expect anyone to be riding back there, but I wouldn't let anyone ride there without rollbar padding on it.

- The bar is bolted into the car, not welded. I don't have any interest in doing anything to my car that I can't undo if I decide I don't like it. I always want to be able to return my vehicles to stock condition if I ever felt the need. Everything you see can be unbolted and removed. There was no cutting or damage to the vehicle required.

Last edited:

Shhhh

Established Member
Thanks for the comments guys. Several of you have posted legitimate points, but they are all ones I am aware of and that I've considered. I'll get better pictures of the inside of the car for you this Friday or Saturday when it's supposed to be sunny and warm.

I'll address a couple of comments real quick though:

- The belts will work for my needs just fine without significant risk to me. These are perfect for autocrossing in a massive parkinglot where speeds rarely get over 50mph and there is nothing to run into except a little orange rubber cone.

- The belts do not limit me in any way whatsoever, whether it be track conditions/rules or state laws. Why? Because the factory belts are still installed and in working condition in addition to these belts. If there is ever a situation where the use of these belts would be inappropriate I will simply slide the belts back out the hole in the seat and out of the way (or I can unwrap them and take them out completely in all of 5 min) and I'll just use the stock belts. I can use either the harness or the factory belts at any time. Whichever i'm in the mood for that day. This mod isn't "instead of", it's "In addition to". :thumbsup:

- No, the rear seats are still functional. I sat in the back seats while wrapping the the excessive belt webbing up out of the way. There is a support bar on each side which connects to the harness bar itself. You have to duck beneath the harness bar to get in the seat, but it's not any big deal. The bigger question would be how safe someone would be back there though. I don't have any padding on the bar because I don't have kids and don't expect anyone to be riding back there, but I wouldn't let anyone ride there without rollbar padding on it.

- The bar is bolted into the car, not welded. I don't have any interest in doing anything to my car that I can't undo if I decide I don't like it. I always want to be able to return my vehicles to stock condition if I ever felt the need. Everything you see can be unbolted and removed. There was no cutting or damage to the vehicle required.

I think they look tits :beer:

Nice write up as well.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Looks good. I guess you found some bolts?

I went a different route so I didn't end up needing them.

Also, I noticed a thread was damaged when I took the upper bolt out on the stock belt assembly. I was trying to get a fresh new bolt but didn't have much luck. Ford required I buy an entire $300 assembly just to get the bolt so I used a Tap and Die set to fix the thread on the original bolt. It wasn't bad, I would just have prefered "perfect" because I'm goofy like that. lol

I think they look tits :beer:

Nice write up as well.

Thanks! I like how they break up all the black in the interior and give it a little subtle color change. I think they go well with the silver pieces on the dash area and the black patches on the shoulder harness ties it all together. Since this car is all about having fun for me, I liked the idea of doing this mod (especially since the seats are already made for it). I'll probably do lots of little things that won't help me go any faster in the 1/4. I'm just having fun. :burnout:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
It looks neat. No way in the world I would do it, though, unless there was a roll cage in the car.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Very true !

Doesn't have any Anti-submarine belts that can lead to broken legs or ankles.

The anti-sub belts came with the kit and I have them, I just chose not to install them. I may add them later if I feel the lap belt creeping up a bit, but these have only been in for 4 days so I'll wait and see.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread