A few questions(i'm new)

weatherman

Established Member
So I have had my cobra for about 2 weeks now and absolutely love it. I am new to this game and have owned lifted trucks my whole life so I have a few questions.

First is it normal to be in 3rd gear around 2800rpm and hammer down and have a bit of hesitation, not right off the bat but maybe a split second after hitting full throttle. This almost feels like the car is starving for gas for a split second. This problem gets worse if i hammer down in 5th or 6th at low rpm(I know I shouldnt be doing this, but it may help to diagnose the problem)

Secondly I have a good deal of noise coming from the transmission, especially in 1st gear. I have read up on the cobrabob gasket and will do this when I switch from my steeda triax to the mgw.

Finally I have a high pitch whistle when under light accel or when I get off the throttle, I have read on other threads that this may be the throttle body.

I have a list of all the known mods below

Whipple 2.3 (new kind), #60 injectors, k and n intake, sct maf? accufab throttle body, steeda triax, kenne bell BAP, sct tuned by speed shop in CT.

Thanks for the help!

yellow03cobra

Established Member
If you want my opinion forget about those problems and enjoy the car. Also stop doing that in 5th and 6th at low rpm it's super hard on the car.

divided

Established Member
You shouldn't hammer it down in 5th or 6th in low rpms. But hammering at any low rpms in any gear there is going to be a bit of lag before you get into the powerband. But sounds normal to me.

yellow03cobra

Established Member
also since you are a new owner get it dynoed and verify a/f and other potential problems.

RussZTT

Established Member
When these cars get around the 500rwhp mark the hesitation your experiencing is a known issue. The best way to get rid of it is by deleting the PPRV. You need to lower the gas tank to delete it. Lethal Performance sells a kit you can buy to do it or read up on how to do it and you can do it yourself.

Yes, get the gasket for the shifter, that will help.

Do you have an aftermarket TB? Make sure it's clean and also make sure it's adjusted correctly.

So I have had my cobra for about 2 weeks now and absolutely love it. I am new to this game and have owned lifted trucks my whole life so I have a few questions.

First is it normal to be in 3rd gear around 2800rpm and hammer down and have a bit of hesitation, not right off the bat but maybe a split second after hitting full throttle. This almost feels like the car is starving for gas for a split second. This problem gets worse if i hammer down in 5th or 6th at low rpm(I know I shouldnt be doing this, but it may help to diagnose the problem)

Secondly I have a good deal of noise coming from the transmission, especially in 1st gear. I have read up on the cobrabob gasket and will do this when I switch from my steeda triax to the mgw.

Finally I have a high pitch whistle when under light accel or when I get off the throttle, I have read on other threads that this may be the throttle body.

I have a list of all the known mods below

Whipple 2.3 (new kind), #60 injectors, k and n intake, sct maf? accufab throttle body, steeda triax, kenne bell BAP, sct tuned by speed shop in CT.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

weatherman

Established Member
thanks for the replies...I enjoy the car as is, I just wanted to make sure nothing is wrong. I don't normally do that and know that it isnt good. I was just checking to see if the problem was more noticable in different gears, I have the dyno sheet in front of me but there is no a/f on it. the max power is 508 and tq is at 480

RussZTT

Established Member
You shouldn't hammer it down in 5th or 6th in low rpms. But hammering at any low rpms in any gear there is going to be a bit of lag before you get into the powerband. But sounds normal to me.

Please don't take this the wrong way but where in the world do you get this info from? Why can't he or anyone hammer it down in low gears? The hesitation he is experiencing wont hurt the car, it just falls on it's face for a split second. Supercharged cars don't have lag. Sure, not as much torque as higher rpm's but NO lag, its not a turbo car. :beer:

RussZTT

Established Member
thanks for the replies...I enjoy the car as is, I just wanted to make sure nothing is wrong. I don't normally do that and know that it isnt good. I was just checking to see if the problem was more noticable in different gears, I have the dyno sheet in front of me but there is no a/f on it. the max power is 508 and tq is at 480
Removing the PPRV will fix your hesitation issue. :beer:
Like it was mentioned, I would get the A/F checked, especially if your in a different location than where the car was originally dyno'ed.

weatherman

Established Member
Removing the PPRV will fix your hesitation issue. :beer:
Like it was mentioned, I would get the A/F checked, especially if your in a different location than where the car was originally dyno'ed.

Thanks for the help, maybe in the spring I will do this. The car really won't get driven much for the next 4 months due to weather here in Boston.

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
PPRV may or may not be his problem. The PPRV problem only tends to rear it's ugly head after a slow shift on a heavy throttle run. He said he just nails it from a 2800 RPM cruise and it hesitates. I don't have any kind of hesitation in mine and it's right around 500HP. I will get the PPRV face fall though but only on a lazy shift.

weatherman

Established Member
PPRV may or may not be his problem. The PPRV problem only tends to rear it's ugly head after a slow shift on a heavy throttle run. He said he just nails it from a 2800 RPM cruise and it hesitates. I don't have any kind of hesitation in mine and it's right around 500HP. I will get the PPRV face fall though but only on a lazy shift.

I get it on lazy shifts aswell, and the split second of lag isnt right away, its maybe a second after I punch it

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
I have the dyno sheet in front of me but there is no a/f on it. the max power is 508 and tq is at 480

For a Whippled car those numbers seem kinda low. How much boost are you running and what size upper do you have on the car?

weatherman

Established Member
For a Whippled car those numbers seem kinda low. How much boost are you running and what size upper do you have on the car?

the car is at 13lbs with a 3.5 upper, the original owner didnt want to take any chances and has it on a very conservative tune. Most likely I will drive it this way for a while then go with a 3.0 upper...

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
the car is at 13lbs with a 3.5 upper, the original owner didnt want to take any chances and has it on a very conservative tune. Most likely I will drive it this way for a while then go with a 3.0 upper...

Gotcha. Your car will WAKE UP once you put that 3.0 upper on it! :coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread