A/F Ratios?, AEM Wideband

SVT0346

Established Member
I just installed an AEM UEGO Wideband A/F kit. Can someone help me with gauge readings? I do not know what are considered normal readings for regular cruising (2,000 rpm and under) and WOT. This installed on a 2003 Cobra.

Thanks in advance!

01yellercobra

Established Member
Between 14 and 15 while cruising. It'll never stay in one place place because the computer is constantly making adjustments. WOT will depend on what your tuner commanded. It should be between 11.5 and 12.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
My AEM reads around 13.8-14.5 at idle
Cruising part throttle around 13.8-15 depends
WOT is 11.0

Main thing you want to look for is wide open throttle readings, and those should never go beyond 12.0. Optimal range is 11.4-11.8 IMO

SVT0346

Established Member
Why does it matter if the sensor is in the downpipe or not?

I have mine installed just before the hi-flow converter just after the downpipe.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Why does it matter if the sensor is in the downpipe or not?

I have mine installed just before the hi-flow converter just after the downpipe.

Closer to the manifold or header the better the reading. Mine is about 3" from the header collector.

HIonPSI

Established Member
Apparently you are supposed to mount as close to manifold as possible in order to get the quickest/most accurate readings. But how about the proper postion to mount the sensor? Some say 3 o'clock, some say 9 o'clock...

ctgreddy

Established Member
as far as positioning either 3 or 9 work fine, you just dont want it on the bottom where it can get hit with condensation and things when the cars off which could impact longevity.

your computer will be constantly looking for 14.7 afr at idle and cruising, it will never stay as there as it's constantly adding and removing fuel to try and keep it there but it never can. it'll vary when accelerating, and like said really anything in the 11's is good at wot, between 11.5-11.8 is what i seem to always hear being optimal. Mines around 11.4-11.5.

93L-STCA

Established Member
14's- mid 15's is good for cruising/ idol. 11-11.6 is great for WOT but always shoot for the middle 11.3, i've never installed my sensor more than a foot away from the header/ exhaust manifold, and 3/9 o'clock is best, but i've also heard 12 is good if it can fit. different cars, different strokes.

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
Don't forget, stoich for todays "blended" gas (typically 8-12% ethanol) is NOT 14.7. You must 1st figure out what % your local favorite gas stations are using, then mathmatically you'll have to change stoich to something closer to 14.4 (on a 10% blend) ..... you get the idea. My innovate came with the cables and software to do this. SO, to those that didn't know this and still using the factory pre programmed 14.7..... figure your AFR to be about .3-.4 leaner then what you're seeing.

Sagittaria

Established Member
I'd really mount it straight down. I live on the coast and humidity for me is almost always 100%... I fried so many sensors from condensation mounted at 3 o clock... Good thing I got a replacement sensor from autozone... warranty :rockon:

I don't know if anyone else has had that issue but I've since moved it and it's been a lot better... I make sure to not start the car either until I've waited for 5-10 seconds either for the sensor to warm up... I get whole puddles of water underneath my tailpipes in the morning...

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Don't forget, stoich for todays "blended" gas (typically 8-12% ethanol) is NOT 14.7. You must 1st figure out what % your local favorite gas stations are using, then mathmatically you'll have to change stoich to something closer to 14.4 (on a 10% blend) ..... you get the idea. My innovate came with the cables and software to do this. SO, to those that didn't know this and still using the factory pre programmed 14.7..... figure your AFR to be about .3-.4 leaner then what you're seeing.
The stoich for E10 is closer to 14.1, not 14.4. (14.078 on a new Ford)

Also, an O2 sensor reads in Lambda so it doesn't know or care what fuel it is burning. So you are NOT running leaner if your gauge is reading correctly because it is measuring Lambda anyway and just converting it.

My suggestion is to read Lambda. That way it never changes based on fuel.

Users who are viewing this thread