A/F Ratio at Idle

GostaFly

Established Member
What A/F ratio does everyone run at idle? I just put a wideband in my cobra and at the rear o2 sensor location at idle, my car is idling at about 10.2:1 which seems incredibly rich to me. It idles ok but you can definatly smell the rich burn.

Mike@TCI

Established Member
10.2 idle? Something is off...

Which wideband unit do you have, and how old is the sensor? Periodicaly these things require recalibration. I'll usually recal mine to fresh air for a couple minutes, every few months. I use the NTK WB unit, with the Bosch sensor ( std on almost all units, now days).

GostaFly

Established Member
The wideband is an AEM gauge UEGO and is brand new has about 7 minutes on it.

GostaFly

Established Member
Thats what I figured. I just fired off a question to fastlane motorsports who built the car. The driver side front O2 sensor is not installed, it is zip tied to the downpipe because the coolant pipe interfears with the bung, and I now wonder if the tune was using the drivers side rear o2 I removed to install the wideband o2 sensor.

I am new to the mustang world and came over from a supra with an AEM standalone so I am trying to pick up SCT tuning as quickly as I can.

TRBO VNM

imo, that is not good. something else should have been done to get the driver side o2 in there. there are aother ways to tune, but not by just using the rear 02 location in a turbo application. not that yours will, but motors have fried because they weren't tuned properly with the o2's in the correct locations.

piping should have been redone or something.

Last edited:

GostaFly

Established Member
I dont know if they did use the rear or not. I will just have to have it retuned.

andreas.e

User from Sweden
Established Member
Thats what I figured. I just fired off a question to fastlane motorsports who built the car. The driver side front O2 sensor is not installed, it is zip tied to the downpipe because the coolant pipe interfears with the bung, and I now wonder if the tune was using the drivers side rear o2 I removed to install the wideband o2 sensor.

I am new to the mustang world and came over from a supra with an AEM standalone so I am trying to pick up SCT tuning as quickly as I can.

wtf, that sounds weird. You should use your front O2 sensors for idle and part throttle.

Do you have cats? The rear O2-bungs are located after cats. You should not read AFR after cats.

It sounds like they have your car running forced closed loop.

Verify the AFR and then call them. Something is very wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread