a.c. line too close to longtubes.

kennycoulter

Established Member
finally got to charge up my a.c. last saturday, but it turns out that the foil heat shield wrapped a.c. line was actually touching my passenger header.

i ordered a new line, started takign things apart, but it seems that no matter what, it will be sort of forced onto the pipe.

i was trying to see if i could tie the line up to anything/anywhere, but the best idea seems to be to tie it to the upper a.c. line. didn't seem to be anywhere to tie it to the shocktower.

i am worried that this will put too much stress on the condensor or core (whatever it is called).

has anyone ran into this problem?

this is the silver/aluminum line coming from the accumulator, shoots straight down towards the exhaust, then runs forward underneathe the airbox and into the condensor.

it is really rigid, other than the area right above the exhaust.

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
I had a small rub on the passenger side from when I put my bassanis on. I ended up putting a 1/8 plate in the motor mount to give me that little extra.

TRBO VNM

I pop the clip from the line out of the frame and use zip ties up to the line above it. Those lines flex and bend easy. So I bend them up a little higher as well. Haven't had any issues with anyones cars yet.

kennycoulter

Established Member
I pop the clip from the line out of the frame and use zip ties up to the line above it. Those lines flex and bend easy. So I bend them up a little higher as well. Haven't had any issues with anyones cars yet.

do you think that you could describe this a little better?

TRBO VNM

hmmm, well, if you removed the bad line, you had to pop the retaining clip/plug that keeps it attached to the frame rail. I pop that off as well so that I can pull the line up.

then I use 2 to 3 zip ties and tie the bottom line to the top line. one or two where it runs along the frame rail and another up closer to the evaporator. I then bend the silver section of the ac lines up or just pull it up a little to add clearance between them and the header.

does that help anymore?

kennycoulter

Established Member
yeah, i was confused about the clip and frame part.

the lines are easier to bend than i thought. i bent it before i put it in, then was still able to tweak it after it was in.

my biggest concern ended up being the force that i had to put to the firewall line. i really hope it will still last a long time.

i will be ziptying mine, but was also concerned about zipties rubbing through the top rubber line.

in case anyone else has to deal with this stuff, or replace a line for any other reason:
i got the most clearance by moving the vacumm lines on the passenger side. i took off the throttle body, and also the passenger side coil cover. my hands are big but skinny, and still had a lot of trouble fitting them in there to get the tool and line into/out of the area. also happened to lose a coil cover bolt.........

Users who are viewing this thread