A brush with disaster...

jaxbusa

Established Member
There’s not a 10 feet stretch of concrete barrier wall here without paint or tire marks on it. Think about that next time you want to help. And let’s thank the op for picking up his tire tread. I can’t believe how lazy people are when they leave the damn tread on the road and they’re near it on the shoulder. I hope you guys aren’t helping those lazy bastards.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
Sucks but I do t stop for anyone. Too much risk these days. I can’t get a CCW in MD or it’s at least crazy hard. My wife has orders if she gets a flat she can slowly limp it to a safe space for me to meet her, I couldn’t care less the damage done to the car.

My wife carries but has been instructed to do the same or st least call for officer assistance. Sad that law abiding citizens have to prove a need just to exercise a right.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I brandished on a guy one time when I was broken down. He stopped to help but I already had my shop bringing a tow truck. I was polite to him as he asked if he could help. I explained that the problem was a sensor and that a tow truck was coming and not to worry about it, but he insisted and was getting really pushy and unreasonable. I would say I wasn't justified in brandishing my pistol but the situation was getting weird and the guy was weird so I put my hand on the grip like I was about to draw and told him to get back in his car and leave. That did the trick.

Love that story, I had a similar situation where I would have rather been carrying.

I was following my last GF home late from Sea Isle City, NJ and she got a flat in an area with run down houses on the way towards the pine barrens (for anyone who knows Jersey). I had her pull into a small parking lot for some little church or something, it had a light outside. I pointed my CTS-V at her car and left the fogs on for some extra light, but I shut the car off. While I'm jacking her car up I hear something coming, this skeevy looking dude on a rusty old beach cruiser bicycle roles up. I'm thinking, you gotta be kidding me. He wants to know if we need help. My girlfriend looked worth sticking around for but the guy took the no thanks and rode off.

Like 2-3 minutes later I hear that ****ing bike squeaking it's way back towards us. I tell gf to sit in my car and lock the doors. I'm a tire change pro and I was highly motivated to get it done so I'm almost finished by this point. Dude rolls up again, says something like "thought maybe you'd reconsidered" I'll have to thank GM for putting an solid and oddly long one piece lug wrench, with a pointy end, in the trunk of her car. I smacked that wrench hard against the steel wheel and said, thanks but I'm already done. Then I kind of pointed it at him and told him to be careful riding around in the dark, you might get hurt or something. The guy just rode off, didn't say anything.

I watched Unsolved Mysteries all the time as a kid. I'll pass on help from people when I'm broken down.

Last edited:

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I trust people as far as I can throw them. Prove me wrong, then I'll trust you. Until then, yea no thanks.

OP, any tire over 5 years old will mostly likely delaminate on you while on an extended ride like that. I would never road trip 5+ year old tires. The glue heats up and breaks down, then you get a separation and what you have. Obviously you figured that out, but word to the wise for everyone here, it's true when tire shops tell you 5 years max from the date of manufacturer. Around town I bet they would've been fine, but out of town yeaaa no.

TheShadow

Hey, you're a funny guy.
Established Member
I trust people as far as I can throw them. Prove me wrong, then I'll trust you. Until then, yea no thanks.

OP, any tire over 5 years old will mostly likely delaminate on you while on an extended ride like that. I would never road trip 5+ year old tires. The glue heats up and breaks down, then you get a separation and what you have. Obviously you figured that out, but word to the wise for everyone here, it's true when tire shops tell you 5 years max from the date of manufacturer. Around town I bet they would've been fine, but out of town yeaaa no.

Yup, lesson learned. As the tread was still 70% or so, I really didn't think there was any concern, but obviously, age does play a big part, especially with a vehicle that lives outside like my X.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Biggest thing is 99.9% of people have cell phones now. Help is a call away unless you are in a deserted place. Before cell phones, someone stopping to help was pretty much all the help you were going to get so it was much more relevant then.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Last summer I had a shifty looking guy approach me for a jump as I was stopping in front of a store to toss my trash out. I thought for sure that it was not going to end well for me, but I drove my car over to his beater to jump it. He actually just needed a jump. All hope is not lost.

We're really not helping the world either by assuming everyone is evil & not helping our fellow man. However, I still carry because you never know. If that guy did mean me harm, at least I would have had a chance.

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
Last summer I had a shifty looking guy approach me for a jump as I was stopping in front of a store to toss my trash out. I thought for sure that it was not going to end well for me, but I drove my car over to his beater to jump it. He actually just needed a jump. All hope is not lost.
I've been reading too many of yer homo posts cuz I started to laugh whilst reading this.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I will not stop to help someone unless its in a pretty public place. I once stopped to help someone on the side of the highway and the amount or rubbernecking is unbelievable. Cars screeching tires from slamming on their brakes cause they are looking at me and not whats in front of them.

Users who are viewing this thread