A bit disappointed with Dyno #s today

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
So where I work just got a dyno, and so my car was the 5th one they've dyno'd so far.

For starters, anyone else have any of the lights go off when strapped down? Everything was fine, and when they started to slowly roll it, all the systems tripped. Advanced Trac, ABS, etc.

Put down 569rwhp and 572tq. SAE 5 smoothing. Seems a bit low no?

No graph yet.

EDIT

Turns out those numbers are low. As I mentioned, this a new dyno and they were apparently still configuring stuff.

An actual guy from Dyno Jet was out there, and ended up finding out the weight for the drums was set wrong. I didn't get a chance to get another pull, but a couple other cars they dyno'd previously they did again, and their numbers all went up.

So I'll have to get my updated numbers up here when I get a chance to get her on there again.

EDIT #2

After correcting the previous mentioned issue, the accurate numbers are: 605.80rwhp and 611.06tq.

Graph:

markscobra_zps26c46f0e.png

Last edited:

BOD89LX

Established Member
So where I work just got a dyno, and so my car was the 5th one they've dyno'd so far.

For starters, anyone else have any of the lights go off when strapped down? Everything was fine, and when they started to slowly roll it, all the systems tripped. Advanced Trac, ABS, etc.

No graph yet.

Dyno jet ?

Shhhh

Established Member

No graph yet.

Turn off tc.
#'s seem fine for SAE. My stock runs were 584/596 SAE.

Last edited:

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
Dyno jet ?

Yes sir.

Turn off tc.
#'s seem fine for SAE. My stock runs were 584/596 SAE.

It was off. Actually, like I mentioned in my post, for whatever reason, (I'm thinking because only the rear wheels were spinning) all the systems tripped and deactivated. Said ABS was off, said TC was off, Advance Trac off, etc.

Weren't a bunch of people putting down 590+rwhp in hotter weather?

Shhhh

Established Member
Yes sir.

It was off. Actually, like I mentioned in my post, for whatever reason, (I'm thinking because only the rear wheels were spinning) all the systems tripped and deactivated. Said ABS was off, said TC was off, Advance Trac off, etc.

Weren't a bunch of people putting down 590+rwhp in hotter weather?

Each dyno is different. My stock #s were done in 87*F. My dash lit up like a Christmas tree when they forgot to turn off TC haha. Car died, my buddy running the dyno got embarrased, It was funny. You can actually see all the lights on a dyno video on youtube.
2013 Ford Mustang GT500 200mph dyno run - YouTube

Last edited:

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
So the 606/624 in the video were STD #s?

And yeah that's what my dash did too.

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
Turns out those numbers are low. As I mentioned, this a new dyno and they were apparently still configuring stuff.

An actual guy from Dyno Jet was out there, and ended up finding out the weight for the drums was set wrong. I didn't get a chance to get another pull, but a couple other cars they dyno'd previously they did again, and their numbers all went up.

So I'll have to get my updated numbers up here when I get a chance to get her on there again.

SVTKen

Established Member
Why is everyone around here so hung up with the dyno numbers? Dynos are all different and their operation and configuration is not always consistent. I personally don't think dynos are even necessary. Just use a tuner and open road or track to tune your car and make some test & tune runs. That's why they call it test & tune. The only numbers that don't lie are the ETs and trap speeds at the track. Have you taken your car to the drag strip and made some passes yet? What were your ETs/trap speeds?

Last edited:

Poppacapp

Established Member
Why is everyone around here so hung up with the dyno numbers? Dynos are all different and their operation and configuration is not always consistent. I personally don't think dynos are even necessary. Just use a tuner and open road or track to tune your car and make some test & tune runs. That's why they call it test & tune. The only numbers that don't lie are the ETs and trap speeds at the track. Have you taken your car to the drag strip and made some passes yet? What were your ETs/trap speeds?

The only thing I worry about dyno number wise is to track how much hp gain my mods give me since I did a stock baseline pull.

Ryan23

Established Member

Because "seat of the pants" tuning isn't accurate. Trap speed is great but not everyone wants to sit at a TNT event for four hours to get 2 runs in.

FWIW, the ET DOES lie because that's left to the nut behind the wheel.

Ryan

SVTKen

Established Member
Because "seat of the pants" tuning isn't accurate. Trap speed is great but not everyone wants to sit at a TNT event for four hours to get 2 runs in.

FWIW, the ET DOES lie because that's left to the nut behind the wheel.

Ryan

You have to go early, and it's not about seat of the pants. It's about real world performance on a track, not strapping a car on a dyno and worrying about the dyno results, which are not always reliable to begin with. I suppose if you go to the same shop and have the same experienced operator and correct the numbers for DA the dyno results can be compared before and after mods. I look at it like this. For the money spent on a couple of dyno sessions, I can have fun at several TNT sessions and pay for a programmer with my leftover money.

Last edited:

Collspec2

Established Member
What really matters is that you do your mods and go back to the same dyno. No matter what kind it is. Then youll realize true gains. Typically I see the highest numbers when the correction factor is set to "std". The lowest usually "sae" sometimes if you lower the smoothing you'll catch a higher peak but the graph will be very sparatic.
My .02 cents

Poppacapp

Established Member
What really matters is that you do your mods and go back to the same dyno. No matter what kind it is. Then youll realize true gains. Typically I see the highest numbers when the correction factor is set to "std". The lowest usually "sae" sometimes if you lower the smoothing you'll catch a higher peak but the graph will be very sparatic.
My .02 cents

I would go with the correction factor that is closest to the actual weather conditions at you location on that day. ie... STD corrects for lower temp than SAE... if the temp is in the 60's or 50's etc, then STD will be closer to what you were actually making that day. SAE pretty much assumes you are in your beach trunks on a 70+ degree sunny day in california. Just be sure to use the same correction for the post mods pull so you can see actual hp gained

SVTKen

Established Member
I like a combination of fun at TNT, data logging, and track times for evaluating my mods :) Dynos certainly do have their merits though. I'm just saying don't sweat the dyno numbers. Chances are you have nothing to worry about and your car is just as strong as every other stock GT500 out there. Now go to the track and have some fun!

662HP631TQ

Established Member
What really matters is you enjoy the car you bought...No numbers period! Bragging rghts and loyalties aside...The damn thing is fast and fun. IF you need a dyno or track or any other number to tell you that...then you are just crazy!

I refuse to let a dyno or track be the indicator whether I am happy with Ford's product or not. I am way different than most though, I would never buy a GT500 as a track car, I'd build something way faster, cooler and cheaper. The GT500 is my Cool car with a story... and yeah it is FAST!!

SVTKen

Established Member
What really matters is you enjoy the car you bought...No numbers period! Bragging rghts and loyalties aside...The damn thing is fast and fun. IF you need a dyno or track or any other number to tell you that...then you are just crazy!

I refuse to let a dyno or track be the indicator whether I am happy with Ford's product or not. I am way different than most though, I would never buy a GT500 as a track car, I'd build something way faster, cooler and cheaper. The GT500 is my Cool car with a story... and yeah it is FAST!!

What exactly are you saying? I agree that you shouldn't let the dyno or track be an indicator of if you like your car, but it's so much fun to go the track that the urge would be hard to resist for me. The Shelby is built for the track! Why not enjoy it at the track and on the street? I don't think I could drive to the track in my car just to watch other cars race. Oh, and how could you possibly build something cooler? Faster: yes. Cheaper: yes. Cooler: Maybe. I think it would be tough to build something faster, cheaper, and cooler!

Last edited:

662HP631TQ

Established Member
What exactly are you saying? I agree that you shouldn't let the dyno or track be an indicator of if you like your car, but it's so much fun to go the track that the urge would be hard to resist for me. The Shelby is built for the track! Why not enjoy it at the track and on the street? I don't think I could drive to the track in my car just to watch other cars race. Oh, and how could you possibly build something cooler? Faster: yes. Cheaper: yes. Cooler: Maybe. I think it would be tough to build something faster, cheaper, and cooler!

Cooler is subjective. I have nothing against the track. But if that is why I bought a car like this...Solely to track it I couldn't do it. MAYBE a Cobrajet. This car is a cool cruiser you can take to the track in my opinion, not a cool track car you can cruise. Again THIS IS SUBJECTIVE.

Tracks and Dynos are fun, but I can tell you with ABSOLUTE truth that neither influenced my decision to buy this car...Well the HP number did, but it wasn't the fact that I was going to track or dyno it.

Last, Those things are cool but all I am saying is that they don't add to my enthusiasm for the car as much as driving it will.

Ryan23

Established Member
LOL... if you just don't understand the value of a dyno for validating the true benefit of modifications...then I guess I'm done here.

I suppose if my car was otherwise stock, I wouldn't care...but then again, it's not the "coolest" car I've ever owned either ;-)

Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread