9lb of weed = 20 years in prison in Bali

Smokinbago

MN Sports Fan!
Established Member
9lbs of weed = 20 years in prison in Bali

And from my first read, she may have been set up.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/05/27/corby.appeal/index.html

(CNN) -- The Australian government is offering to send a team of lawyers to help Schapelle Corby fight her 20-year prison sentence for drug smuggling in Indonesia.

The 27-year-old Australian beautician's fate was sealed Friday, when an Indonesian court found her guilty of smuggling nine pounds of marijuana into Bali. Her enraged mother screamed, "Our government will bring you home."

She could have received life in prison or the death penalty. The Associated Press cites a report by the state news agency Antara that prosecutors are planning to appeal the sentence, saying 20 years is too lenient.

In addition to the prison term, Corby must also pay a $10,700 (10 million rupiahs) fine.

She has been held in a Bali jail since her arrest at an airport in Denpasar last October.

Her verdict and sentence have generated outrage in Australia, where the government is trying to negotiate her returning home to serve her prison sentence.

The case has triggered threats against Indonesian diplomatic missions in Australia and Indonesia.

A recent survey among Australians found 90 percent believed Corby to be innocent.

Even actor Russell Crowe has jumped in, asking how his government could let Corby "rot away in a foreign prison."

Corby has maintained her innocence and insisted that the drugs found in her boogie board bag were planted by baggage handlers in Australia.

During the trial, Corby's team was buoyed by news that the Australian Federal Police and Qantas Airways were investigating the role of baggage handlers in a cocaine smuggling operation.

The scene in the courtroom turned chaotic Friday when the guilty verdict was read.

Corby appeared confused after the verdict and sentence were read, but after conferring with her interpreter, reality sank in and she glared at prosecutors.

She turned toward her mother, Rose Corby, and said, "Mom, it's OK," before breaking down in tears.

Corby's sister, Mercedes, screamed shrilly at the judges: "It's not all right! How dare you!"

As she was being led away, Schapelle broke free from guards and hugged her mother.

"Schapelle, you will come home. Our government will bring you home," her mother vowed after guards separated them.

One of Schapelle's attorneys told a reporter, "I don't think she can survive [in prison]."

Her financial backer, Australian businessman Ron Bakir said he would do whatever it took to get her home and called the verdict "a massive injustice."

Outside the courtroom, an emotional Mercedes said the family would appeal the verdict. "To all our family and friends, we love you all," she said. "Schapelle is innocent. This verdict is unjust. The case now enters a new phase, and we'll stand by Schapelle every step of the way.

"Our lawyers have done their best and with the support of all the Australians, thank you. Schapelle will be coming home soon."

The sister then screamed, "I don't even know why [they had] the bloody trial. They didn't take any of our witnesses into account."

Dismissed key evidence
"The defendant has been proven legally and convincingly guilty," a translator quoted the judges as saying on Sky News.

In rendering the verdict Judge Linton Sirait said Corby had "convincingly carried out a crime" by unlawfully importing the drug.

"The actions of the accused were a danger to the community," he said. "This was a transnational crime that could damage the minds of young people."

The panel of three judges dismissed every defense witness, including testimony from Australia prisoner John Ford, who backed Corby's claim that she was an unwitting "drug mule."

The judges found Corby's defense team unable to prove if there was another person responsible for the drugs.

But her defense team raised concerns about the failure of police to fingerprint the plastic bag containing the drugs or to videotape the search. In addition, a request to have the marijuana tested to reveal its source was denied.

Home reaction
Prime Minister John Howard said he understood why Australians feel so deeply about the Corby case.

"The fact that we are a nation whose young travel so much, it is an issue that has touched this country very directly," he said.

Many callers to radio talk shows in Australia said they regretted making donations to Indonesian tsunami victims, The Associated Press reported.

Others called for Australians to boycott the popular holiday destination of Bali and Indonesian products.

Trying to keep a fragile relationship with Jakarta intact, Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said any criticism of Indonesia or its justice system would be counterproductive and reflect very badly on Australia.

Last edited:

Bass

pour me another
Established Member
and to think the men involved in the bali terrorist bombing only got 2 years

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Her story is completely plausible. There have been numerous internal conspiracies between airline "ramp rats" at different airports. For instance a bag handler for American Airlines in Jamaica will place 2 kilos of cocaine into a persons bag on the flight as it is being loaded and will mark the bag with tape/string/etc. and when it arrives in Miami the bag handler there will open that bag in the bottom of the plane and remove the cocaine and let the bag go.

But if the markings were lost or the baggage handler in Miami got moved to another flight quickly or someone else grabbed the bag too fast, it would be out of the plane and into the terminal. Then subject to U.S. Customs inspection as well as Customs Canine inspection.

Hence an innocent person now is admitting that the bags belong to her and all the contents are hers. That includes the cocaine.

Not a good situation.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
no not good at all
ill tell ya what if i am going to rot in a different country i am going to make my sentance fit the crime

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
That is f*cking unbelievable. I don't even know what I would do if I were in that situation.

Smokinbago

MN Sports Fan!
Established Member
Bass said:
and to think the men involved in the bali terrorist bombing only got 2 years

I forgot about that. This may have been their chance get back at a westerner; the ironic thing is that it was mainly Aussies that died in the bombing.

jshen

Established Member
Pretty tough law....I'll bet they don't have many drug users over there.......

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
WTF? It's weed, nothing big. If she's guilty she only deserves a year or 3. I also think she's innocent, since no one (not even a stoner) would carry that much weed on vacation.

Big 8

Established Member
astrocreep96 said:
Or Midnight Express. Though that guy was actually smuggling drugs.
Ah yes the seventies flicks! I dont stay up that lat anymore, I am old. So midnight express is out.

Broke down had two girls and an Aussie.... so it fits better and if I remember it was Thailand or Indonesia. The one Girl was for sure innocent at least as far as the movie goes :pop:

I have heard of this kind of crap before and obviously it happens so often they have made movies about it. The aussies should ban travel to that place for a month. That might make the Indonesians wake the fjck up! When a terrorist gets two years for killing Aussies and an Aussie gets twenty for giving Indonesians a buzz....thats just wrong!

Perhaps we should look for a free the Aussie web site :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread