99 SS vs. 04 Cobra

2004BlackCobra

Established Member
Well I haven't had to many stories to tell but ran into a SS camaro the other day. I saw him moving up fast and he got next to me and reved up and then rolled his window down. He was cool and asked if I wanted to run and I said sure. We turned around to try to find a place to go and we were stuck behind some traffic and he yells out the window that he won't go from a roll because he knows what I have in there, motioning toward my hood. So we find a street to turn off and stop. He counts it off and we go on three. He gets a jump right away and I am having a little trouble getting traction. He is still ahead of me into second. We went until I just get to third and we come up on traffic and have to slow down. He is about a car ahead of me at this point. I really felt like third gear was where I started to reel him in and would have gone by....I think. Does this sound right or am I missing something here. He said he was a stock 99'. Sounded pretty loud for stock but I don't know much about the LS1. He also said he had a 250 shot and a torque converter waiting in his garage. Seems odd that those would be his first mods IMHO. I am not too proud to post a loss, just want to make sure because I almost drove straight home to order the whipple ;-) Any feedback is appreciated.

03svtsnakevert

COPASNICKA
Established Member
I think that you were having trouble driving the car, getting it out of the hole...if you were able to get it out of the hole you would have killed him...

Unless he has more mods than he is letting on...a H/C/I SS can be handful for a stock Term...

good run though...get some DRs and try him again

331SC

EGO Sum Deus
Established Member
If it was loud it wasn't stock. F-body's are very quiet in stock exhaust form.

Probably had LT's and a lid.

QuikGT

Banned
03svtsnakevert said:
Unless he has more mods than he is letting on...a H/C/I SS can be handful for a stock Term...

handful for a "stock" terminator would be a complete understatement.....try buslengths ahead

SSmoked99

Burn that sh*t UBZ
Established Member
03svtsnakevert said:
I think that you were having trouble driving the car, getting it out of the hole...if you were able to get it out of the hole you would have killed him...

I think and I KNOW a H/C/I LS1 will be more than a handful for a 03/04 cobra...stock for stock the cobra can beat it, but not by much. When I use to race my friend in his stock terminator is my stock SS he use to pull on me once I hit 4th

jboss11

Established Member
QuikGT said:
handful for a "stock" terminator would be a complete understatement.....try buslengths ahead

I drove a 02SS with h/C/I and a tune. My cobra felt faster that the SS. :coolman:

Steve Gunn

Established Member
2004BlackCobra said:
I really felt like third gear was where I started to reel him in and would have gone by....I think. Does this sound right or am I missing something here. He said he was a stock 99'. Sounded pretty loud for stock but I don't know much about the LS1.
Even if he had a catback, I expect you would have come around him on the big end... probably by 4rth.

StangJason

Established Member
jboss11 said:
I drove a 02SS with h/C/I and a tune. My cobra felt faster that the SS. :coolman:

I've raced one and it was a car or more from my back bumper just after a shift into 4th with me pulling...but in the LS1 world on the internet my car is slower.

99SVT3753

5.4L Snake
Established Member
Yup from a dead stop they have more torque off the line and since you didnt have gears to help you he woulda ate ya .. it's why he knew not to do it from a roll when your setup kicks in and kills him.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I ran an auto Camaro SS last spring, from a stop he would pull a couple lengths on me then about 60 mph which is where I'd stop his pull on me he'd let off of it..

2nd race with a Camaro SS was a from a roll with a 6 speed, we started about 40 mph and were reasonably even in 2nd with me pulling slightly, wasn't till upper end of 3rd and into 4th that I really started pulling away from it good..

sutn

Established Member
StangJason said:
but in the LS1 world on the internet my car is slower.
+1
The LS1 internet world is the only place I've seen h/c/i LS1's "rape" or put bus lengths on 03/04 Cobra's. I havn't seen it yet on the street or the track.

grey03mach1

Speed Junkie
Established Member
StangJason said:
I've raced one and it was a car or more from my back bumper just after a shift into 4th with me pulling...but in the LS1 world on the internet my car is slower.
:lol: This is so true!

1999WhiteSVT

STLMustangs.com
Established Member
if it was loud it "might" have had the SLP exhaust. maybe off road pipe. it really comes down to what people call "stock". ive heard people call their car stock when they have cat back CAI and gears

1999WhiteSVT

STLMustangs.com
Established Member
sanchez is surname number 57 in the USA
why am i NOT surprised?
holy shit this toally went in the wrong thread

Last edited:

2004BlackCobra

Established Member
Jamie33 said:
are you near chino hills and did this "ss" happen to be white with tinted windows?

Yeah I am relatively close to Chino Hills and it was a white SS with tinted windows.

I definitely could have gotten off the line better, but I felt like if we had been able to go in to fourth gear I would have pulled ahead. Not that it was him stopping and saying he won, just that is all the traffic would allow.

Thanks for the input guys. I am ready for some more mods, just would like to find a reputable shop to go to here in so cal. I like my car too much to just let anybody mess with it.

Jamie33

Up in smoke
Established Member
2004BlackCobra said:
Yeah I am relatively close to Chino Hills and it was a white SS with tinted windows.

I definitely could have gotten off the line better, but I felt like if we had been able to go in to fourth gear I would have pulled ahead. Not that it was him stopping and saying he won, just that is all the traffic would allow.

Thanks for the input guys. I am ready for some more mods, just would like to find a reputable shop to go to here in so cal. I like my car too much to just let anybody mess with it.

haha, i ran into the same guy in my brothers 04 cobra (highlife22) w/ 2.93 and 4lb lower. I pulled him pretty hard. we went from a 50 roll or so on the 71freeway and i just left it in 4th gear. He kept up with me to 80 or so and then i prob put 3 -4 cars on him by 115mph.
then he said he wanted a dig race. I followed him off the freeway and we raced at a downhill stop light. He jumped the light, but i was still i was 2 cars ahead at top of second. The cobra has the Nitto 315's which hooked up great from the dig.
Kinda funny he yelled after "i just raced another black cobra and a str-4".

Users who are viewing this thread