99 purchase help.

Feary

Established Member
Buying a 99 tomorrow. 40K on it, my question is the dealer is obviously a buncha idiots but we wont even go there. I had a 98 Yellow Vert I recently traded for my 02 Harley truck, great truck im just not a truck kinda guy. So anyway how do I find out if my 99 has had all the fixes? I know I hear alot of horror stories about 99's so you guys help me out. And with 40k on it what am I looking at that will probably go wrong with it anytime soon? The guy who had it before me has a ton of badass cars and bikes and he rarely drove this one, and didnt race it b/c well it was like the slowest car he had. I am still trying to get in touch with him to see what all is done to the motor so im unsure at this time. I know the exterior mods are badass and the system is molded in the trunk so I like that even though I wont be ummm bumping around town much. But anyway ill post pictures soon you guys just throw me a coupel ideas on what to lookout for and how to see if it has had the fixes done.

KGblack99cobra

Back N Black
Established Member
Like he said, Vin it. then Call SVT... They will tell ya everything they can about the car.. And once you buy it, fax them a copy of your Ownership papers, and get her Birth Certificate(sp)
Mines in the mail... been lazy and waited 3yrs to get mine..

Feary

Established Member
Are the 99's really that slow? Say the 99 has Exhaust and Intake. Would it beat my 98 with, Exhaust, 4.10's, Custom Chip, K&N intake, Eibach Upper/Lower control arms, Eibach Springs, ....maybe a few more things but how would they compare? How do you think a 99 should Dyno? Im really suprised im buying it but I can definatly say when I saw it I fell in love with it. I was getting a vette, I can still get a 02 vete easy but im getting the Cobra instead......Call me stupid but I love the look of this thing to bad a vette will suck my doors off as it pulls away from me. I owned a 02 WS6 so im no stranger to LS1's still working on my Cobra knowledge some. Some help me out fellas how slow is it gonna be?

Feary

Established Member
Would it beat my truck? lol I hope so......What should I dyno? say Exhaust and Intake...? ill add gears of course when I get it.

chuckstang

Established Member
yes it will beat your truck lol, mine is basically stock and dynoed 281 rwhp. but u need gears, get 410's or 430's and trust me, it will be plently fast.

AzDropTop

Established Member
Feary said:
Would it beat my truck? lol I hope so......What should I dyno? say Exhaust and Intake...? ill add gears of course when I get it.
Mine made 293-297 and 289tq with c/b and JLT RAI.

Stock they dyno around 272/278ish

At 40K I would made sure the Throw out bearing ins't making noise. A new battery would be nice too. 1 800 ford svt can give you the goods on all the recalls.

Feary

Established Member
gears wont make it plenty fast...not with the people I hang out with. It looks good so im covered on that. But it lakes perf mods which is good b/c it hasnt been beat on much. I hang with alot of LS1 boys and 03/04 cobras and some pretty fast imports so....well it dont matter I will beef it up. I still got raped by LS1's in my 98 anyway. Im more into bikes than cars for racing now anyways. But thanks for all the info and def keep it coming anything you can advise me of ahead a time.

casey99COBRA

Just a rookie!
Established Member
well just with my intake/catback/x pipe/dr's i can take a 2001 ws6 trans am with exhaust! that is plenty for me.

dtd01svt

Established Member
Save yourself alot of trouble and just find an '01 Cobra. Just my opinion though....

Feary

Established Member
I got it today, I got one thing I see wrong with it. When you shut the passenger side door the window catches the top. How do I fix that? or is the top just not shut all the way. Its raining tonight so tomorrow ill put the top down and back up and if that doesnt fix it..............What do you guys think I should try?

AzDropTop

Established Member
Feary said:
I got it today, I got one thing I see wrong with it. When you shut the passenger side door the window catches the top. How do I fix that? or is the top just not shut all the way. Its raining tonight so tomorrow ill put the top down and back up and if that doesnt fix it..............What do you guys think I should try?

You need to get the top adjusted. Fairly common on the 99 verts.

chuckstang

Established Member
well, if u put 430 or 456 gears in your cobra, if u can get traction, you will be dam fast, easily take a stock ls1 no prob.
but just put a blower on it, 6 to 8 pounds of boost ,and just like that 425hp

Feary

Established Member
How much does getting the top adjusted run? I'll do it monday.....First night out in the car last night and I got a ****en ticket already. I will post some pics soon it definately catches everyones eye.............Including the State Troopers.

dtd01svt

Established Member
99cobrablack said:
I don't see why or how that would be saving himself alot of trouble.
Because, like I said, its just my opinion but I didnt like the interior of the 99's and they didnt have the h.p. they said to have until the "fix". And like AZDROPTOP said some people thought they were POS. Like I said it was my opinion...take it or leave it. :shrug:

"So anyway how do I find out if my 99 has had all the fixes?"
" I know I hear alot of horror stories about 99's so you guys help me out. "
----FEARY

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
dtd01svt said:
Because, like I said, its just my opinion but I didnt like the interior of the 99's and they didnt have the h.p. they said to have until the "fix". And like AZDROPTOP said some people thought they were POS. Like I said it was my opinion...take it or leave it. :shrug:

"So anyway how do I find out if my 99 has had all the fixes?"
" I know I hear alot of horror stories about 99's so you guys help me out. "
----FEARY
Alot of horror stories, before I got into the late model muscle I was told that 70-80% of the low HP cobras were bought back and crushed by ford. There are horror stories about anything, mostly by idiots. Personally I feel that the ticking issue was more serious on the 03's, and well, the detonation problems that some of the 01's had was more serious than the low hp rating wich was simply fixed. "The fix" and low hp claims are made out to be more than what they are IMHO. Just the saying "didn't meet advertised hp" stopped alot of people dead in there tracks, but what % of the 99's didn't have "the fix"??? 5% at the very most?? I prefer the interior of the 99 because the seats are more comforatble for taller, bigger framed people(6'4-240)the only downfall to the 99 is the 28 spline rear, but isn't that big of a deal to me, because if I had an 03 it would either get A. upgraded halfshafts, or B. a solid rear so 28 spline isn't an issue to me. You have your opinion and I have mine, but there is no "saving yourself alot of trouble" buy just buying an 01. also, you have any pics of your cobra, sounds wicked.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread