99 GT starting in Road Racing

99 GT

Established Member
^^^yes my brother and his friends with 350z's, M3 ,etc have been telling me to. So far i have been reasearching via the computer and forums. But i definately will look for the books you said. thanks!

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I agree with what the others have said. Spend the $1200 on track time. At $300-400 per event, you will get about three events out of that money (event money plus hotel, gas, fluids, food, etc). That $1200 can buy you at least six hours of track time and most likely about 15 hours of classroom time.

6 hrs track time + 15 hours of class time > anything you buy for the car (other than safety equipment, brakes and maintenance items)

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
Yea...get some ducting to your brakes and put the $1200 in savings. Go to the track and have some fun. Get some seat time before you start spending that money. THEN spend it like its your last buck. You will go faster with experience than what parts can bring you.

After you have some experience then you will have a better idea of what you want.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Even for a beginner... Cobra PBR calipers and SS lines up front wouldnt hurt. I dont know how well the stock GT brakes perform on track when pushed hard, I dont ever plan to find out either! If it was my car I would upgrade, brakes fall into a safety category.

99 GT

Established Member
what brand and type of sub frames should i get...im thinking the full length bare maximum motorsports-$120...what do you think?

majinprodigy

Established Member
they are great ones, i had the stock bolt in ones on the bullitt then upgraded to weld-ins and it made a huge difference.

99 GT

Established Member
Hey guys i found a set of new Cobra R front brakes for $650!!! Should i go ahead and do it, sooner or later i would upgrade them to Brembos anyway.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
No dont buy them.
you should send me the link instead so I can buy them! haha

Definitely for that price get them!

99 GT

Established Member
Haha i picked up at brand new set for $575!!!

I have a question though, i got cross drilled and i kind of wanted the slotted. He said to call him tomorow if i want to swap for the slotted. Can anybody explain which is better?

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Cross drilled removes mass from the rotor, mass is good. The more material there is the better it can sink heat away. Removing that material while it looks good and may seem like a good idea is the perfect starting point for stress fractures/cracks. Swap them out for the slotted then when those are done buy Brembo blanks from TireRack.

Cross drilled rotors are for blingy street cars, not for use on track cars.

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
Cross drilled removes mass from the rotor, mass is good. The more material there is the better it can sink heat away. Removing that material while it looks good and may seem like a good idea is the perfect starting point for stress fractures/cracks. Swap them out for the slotted then when those are done buy Brembo blanks from TireRack.

Cross drilled rotors are for blingy street cars, not for use on track cars.

+1
:beer:

I know its tempting, but doooooon't do the bling!! LOL

Users who are viewing this thread