99 cobra vs 135i

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
Not real sure, those 135i are twin turbo low boost with 300hp stock. With mods I have seen one run at the track run in the low 12s. The wifes Lexus is also 300hp but N/A. All in all pretty good I would say. What do have done to the car??

Shoot, there are a few members over at the E90 forum that have clipped off high 11s with those and the 335s with a few mods and some DRs.

sweet88gt

You really look at this??
Established Member
The facts are facts. Just because its not a Mustang doesnt mean its not capable of catching you sleeping.

F8L BYT

Established Member
Quick question to your above post. What does a stock S197 Gt trap where you run??

I am also unaware that the above Cobra was capable of trap speeds in the 110mph range. Intresting.

I must be out of the loop on some of these cars, but my buddy that has a 135i trapped 102-103mph with a stock 6 speed. I trapped 100 mph with the Lexus but was out in front easy off the line with the auto. I ran the same et and trap as a 05-07 Gt with filter and programmer. That is sad.

My car trapped 102 with a filter and an x pipe... I dont see how you think that a 40,000 car that traps the same is so much better and makes a much cheaper car sad.

LOL! Your mistaken his car won't trap 110... maybe 106-108 at a good sea level track.... headers are his only mod of note and shorties aren't worth very much, the diablosport tune isn't doing much either..... If you actually read my posts I said it should have been closer I didn't say he should have lost. With mods the BMW 135 or 335 will destroy him in his current form! Sorry it is a fact, maybe you should visit a track sometime......

Now I am a BMW guy coming out of the woodwork? Dude I have been here longer than you and don't own, never had, and never will own a BMW..... however that doesn't mean I don't respect them and know what they are capable of. Just trying to give a realistic perspective which most people around here don't like to hear, I guess you are one of them.

Oh and 99 Cobra's are on par with a S197 GT anyway so that is a weak ass analogy which has no relevance. later Ron

You should do some research yourself, JBA shorties only made 3hp less than Kooks longtubes and made more than the shittier BBK's and such. We know what the 135/335's are capable of we never said we didnt but you are acting like they are god and they arent. They should be able to out perform a car that is 10 years older and much cheaper! But you are giving them way to much credit.

primetime

Established Member
You should do some research yourself, JBA shorties only made 3hp less than Kooks longtubes and made more than the shittier BBK's and such.

Link please, with dyno or track times..... shorties making within 3hp of longtubes! LOL Now that is good....

We know what the 135/335's are capable of we never said we didnt but you are acting like they are god and they arent. They should be able to out perform a car that is 10 years older and much cheaper! But you are giving them way to much credit.

LOL again.... Please do me a favor read my original post.... Your basically agreeing with me and don't even know it..... Not giving the beamer too much credit, as they are what they are..... I think your giving a mildly modded 99 Cobra too much credit....

Blaizon

Established Member
Nice kill OP.

Stock 335/135 run mid to low 13's anywere from 105-108 *much easier to do with an 6AT*. The problem at the track with these cars are the manuals, they're tough to get out of the hole & once you mess up it's pretty much over. My mustang on the other hand was much easier to drive at the strip add to the fact the lsd is nice also.

sweet88gt

You really look at this??
Established Member
My car trapped 102 with a filter and an x pipe... I dont see how you think that a 40,000 car that traps the same is so much better and makes a much cheaper car sad.

The fact that it is a 4 door v6 with no business being on the track but performs well enough to make people look silly when you pass them up. All while doing so with my kids toys in the back seat and my wifes crap in the car. What my point is that just because its a Mustang, Camaro, or whatever doesnt make it the fastest car at the track. Its sad becuase people ( I dont even me you I mean the majority ) think that because it make the right sounds and has a name it will automatically be faster and better.

You guys do understand I do own a Mustang all while saying this. I am just trying to open some eyes that it is not a given because of the car you have has a long standing tradition of being fast, doesnt make the one you sit in the cats meow.

x99blacksnakex

Horsepower over Willpower
Established Member
Nice kill OP. A kid at my school had a 335i hardtop convertible with the sport package on it. That thing hauled ass for what it was. 135/335s are nice cars, but its always nice when American Muscle beats a Euro turd.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Nice kill OP.

Stock 335/135 run mid to low 13's anywere from 105-108 *much easier to do with an 6AT*. The problem at the track with these cars are the manuals, they're tough to get out of the hole & once you mess up it's pretty much over. My mustang on the other hand was much easier to drive at the strip add to the fact the lsd is nice also.

Show me a 108mph stock 135i/335i and i will show you a forum full of fellow BMW owners who will call BS. :lol:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Quick question to your above post. What does a stock S197 Gt trap where you run??

I am also unaware that the above Cobra was capable of trap speeds in the 110mph range. Intresting.

I must be out of the loop on some of these cars, but my buddy that has a 135i trapped 102-103mph with a stock 6 speed. I trapped 100 mph with the Lexus but was out in front easy off the line with the auto. I ran the same et and trap as a 05-07 Gt with filter and programmer. That is sad.

13.6~13.8 @ 103~105mph seems to be the running range for stock S197 Mustang GTs where I live. I've seen them go slower with crap driving like everyone else but when everything lines up they run well.

I'm not sure where you live but a filter/tune only S197 is capable of high 12s.
CAI+tune only 12.877 @ 106.79 w/ 1.819
http://mustangforums.com/forum/street-strip/373289-finally-did-it-12s.html

As stated in my post I might be mistaken (I trap 109.33 with a lid/fra and I figured a cobra with that many mods would be on par with me at the least). It looks like I gave the 4v too much credit and for that I apologize. :beer:

Last edited:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
LOL! Your mistaken his car won't trap 110... maybe 106-108 at a good sea level track.... headers are his only mod of note and shorties aren't worth very much, the diablosport tune isn't doing much either..... If you actually read my posts I said it should have been closer I didn't say he should have lost. With mods the BMW 135 or 335 will destroy him in his current form! Sorry it is a fact, maybe you should visit a track sometime......

As stated (twice now) I was mistaken... even with his 106~108mph traps he would pull on a stock N54 so it still all adds up. Not sure what the last comment was supposed to mean... I visit the track frequently (which should be obvious since I have track times listed. :shrug:) Fail on that one.

Now I am a BMW guy coming out of the woodwork? Dude I have been here longer than you and don't own, never had, and never will own a BMW..... however that doesn't mean I don't respect them and know what they are capable of. Just trying to give a realistic perspective which most people around here don't like to hear, I guess you are one of them.

AHAHAHA AHAHAHAHA... wow if I have to explain that one. BMW guy != BMW owner... you 'attempting' to school everyone on 335i/135is and acting like the rest of us are retarded is why you got the label. :nonono: Other people here respect them and are more than familiar with what they are and are not capable of. Apparently I don't like the truth.. I should let the guys at n54tech know about this.

Oh and 99 Cobra's are on par with a S197 GT anyway so that is a weak ass analogy which has no relevance. later Ron

99 Cobra = S197 = 335i/135i... so a modded 99 cobra vs a stock 335i would result in?? No relevance? Everyone here knows what a stock S197 is capable of (well..I would LOVE to hear what you think the numbers are) so it makes a great reference point.

Last edited:

primetime

Established Member
As stated (twice now) I was mistaken... even with his 106~108mph traps he would pull on a stock N54 so it still all adds up. Not sure what the last comment was supposed to mean... I visit the track frequently (which should be obvious since I have track times listed. :shrug:) Fail on that one.

AHAHAHA AHAHAHAHA... wow if I have to explain that one. BMW guy != BMW owner... you 'attempting' to school everyone on 335i/135is and acting like the rest of us are retarded is why you got the label. :nonono: Other people here respect them and are more than familiar with what they are and are not capable of. Apparently I don't like the truth.. I should let the guys at n54tech know about this.

99 Cobra = S197 = 335i/135i... so a modded 99 cobra vs a stock 335i would result in?? No relevance? Everyone here knows what a stock S197 is capable of (well..I would LOVE to hear what you think the numbers are) so it makes a great reference point.

Dude, Your a tool who can't form a logical argument with facts so I am done with you.... have a good one. later Ron

Timber Wolf

Established Member
I have a 135i as a daily driver. I did JB3 software and intake, and the car is an animal! Has to be 380hp with 400+ft/lbs tq. Its the perfect sleeper since the shelby gt500 is like a bull in a china shop!!

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Dude, Your a tool who can't form a logical argument with facts so I am done with you.... have a good one. later Ron

Really?
Stock 335i/135i = mid 13s @ 103mph (just going for a nice average)
Stock S197 = mid 13s @ 103mph
Stock 99 Cobra (post fix obviously) = mid 13s @ 103mph

All 3 cars are relatively close in stock form. The 99 Cobra owner adds headers, tune, exhaust, gears, etc and then gets informed by you that it should have been a close race.

Did I miss anything?

No one is selling the N54 short here which is what you are claiming.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
I have a 135i as a daily driver. I did JB3 software and intake, and the car is an animal! Has to be 380hp with 400+ft/lbs tq. Its the perfect sleeper since the shelby gt500 is like a bull in a china shop!!

Timber did you catch this one?

[ame=http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7209]7.846 @ 91.39 Tune Only 1/8th mile - N54TECH.COM : BMW Twin Turbo Performance forum[/ame]
1.870 60ft
7.846 1/8th
91.39 mph

Map 9, 100oct, DRs
:rockon::beer:

You need to get that thing to the track and report back ASAP! lol

Blaizon

Established Member
Show me a 108mph stock 135i/335i and i will show you a forum full of fellow BMW owners who will call BS. :lol:

I wish I could. I was at the strip 2 weeks ago and I met a younger guy with an 6AT 135. He couldn't launch well *running 13.9-14.0* but trapped 107 & 108 on two runs. This was at e-town btw although having no proof doesn't help me much. I also I stated a range, although it's high for stock and most drivers won't get that type of mph it has happened.

http://www.dragtimes.com/BMW-135i-Timeslip-18109.html
This is apparently a stock 6AT.

I do think you won't find many 6mt's trapping that high stock, most will be 104-106 maybe 107...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread