99 Cobra Vortech chip problems

Wildcard

Established Member
Glad to hear that you fixed your problems. Right now I am in the same boat with a bad tune from a Diablo Dealer that I use. I've switched my pump to a 03 and my fuel pressure slowly jumps around starting from 40psi,which is good, to sometimes 60psi at idle or crusing. The reason is because the chip is not tuned for it. The new tuner will address these issues, but it sucks, non the less.

akatherazor4

If you see this tag, Run!
Established Member
Originally posted by Wildcard
Glad to hear that you fixed your problems. Right now I am in the same boat with a bad tune from a Diablo Dealer that I use. I've switched my pump to a 03 and my fuel pressure slowly jumps around starting from 40psi,which is good, to sometimes 60psi at idle or crusing. The reason is because the chip is not tuned for it. The new tuner will address these issues, but it sucks, non the less.

www.socaldiablo.com , ask for Shawn.;-)

Razor.

akatherazor4

Established Member
Originally posted by juicedgt02
............and what about me and my problem, any help/advice :nonono: :shrug: :read:

You either need to get your car to an experienced local shop or contact Fordchip and set up a time to fix it. It may not be the actual tune in the chip. It could very well besomething different.

No offense, but this is why I don't deal with traveling tuners. If your car isn't right after they head out of town then your pretty much screwed. (Again no offense to you or Fordchip)

Razor.:beer:

juicedgt02

Established Member
Thanks razor, I feel like I just got the RAZORS EDGE chico.:thumbsup: I will wait and see what fordchip has to say i hope i wont have to :kaboom:

Wildcard

Established Member
You know this discussion is making me think a lot about tuners and their efficiency. If you find a good one then you are set, but the fact is that there are many tuners out there who practice bad business tactics, and that can make life hell for the consumer who is left with a car that does not proper functionally or possibly doesn't even function at all. That leads me to wonder what can we do to eliminate the middle man... the tuners.

However, that is ACCEl DFI, and other stand one fuel mangement systems.

But every state only has so many tuners. In Cali I can count the well known ones on my hand. This leaves a person to only so many options.

akatherazor4

Established Member
You know this discussion is making me think a lot about tuners and their efficiency. If you find a good one then you are set, but the fact is that there are many tuners out there who practice bad business tactics, and that can make life hell for the consumer who is left with a car that does not proper functionally or possibly doesn't even function at all. That leads me to wonder what can we do to eliminate the middle man... the tuners.

However, that is ACCEl DFI, and other stand one fuel mangement systems.

But every state only has so many tuners. In Cali I can count the well known ones on my hand. This leaves a person to only so many options.

Well even stand alone systems need to be setup. You still need someone familiar with the program and your setup. The well known tuners are far and few between, buth there's great ones who aren't well known too. My tuner is not a well known guy and my cars tune is solid. This guy knows his stuff when it comes to mustangs. Just shop around and you will find the right person.

Wildcard

Established Member
I've had an extended relationship with tuners over this past year. Even including your recommedation, and I can definately say it's been a headache. One that I am not looking forward too anymore. They are far and few, but what I've noticed is there are only so many, so the options are very minimal. Finding a good is hard.
However, I hope things turn around in the upcoming days/weeks.:beer:

juicedgt02

Established Member
Do any of you anyone around Boston are, I need a good tuner and as we all learn the hard way they are very hard to find.:read:

akatherazor4

Established Member
I've had an extended relationship with tuners over this past year. Even including your recommedation, and I can definately say it's been a headache. One that I am not looking forward too anymore. They are far and few, but what I've noticed is there are only so many, so the options are very minimal. Finding a good is hard.
However, I hope things turn around in the upcoming days/weeks.:beer:

You had problems with SoCalDiablo's tuning? Please tell me more. Shawn is a Diablo tuning god.:eek:

Razor.

Demonio1023

Established Member
Hi, I am experiencing the same problems and I need a good tuner in the DC metro area so if anyone can help me out it will be great the car is a 99 cobra with a procharger thanks .

akatherazor4

Established Member
Originally posted by Demonio1023
Hi, I am experiencing the same problems and I need a good tuner in the DC metro area so if anyone can help me out it will be great the car is a 99 cobra with a procharger thanks .

Hey I PM'd you back and I see your from the area. Please disregard me asking where you were from.;-) If you get down to the shop this week then you can see my car. It's there getting clutch #3 put in as we speak. Who did your blower install/Tune ?

Dagwood

Established Member
Back to the drawing board

OK the vortech chip I got back made the car run much smoother than the JMS chip; however, I had it dynoed and I have lost 90rwhp since beginning the s/c install. :shrug:

I also learned that JMS chip has been sold to another company and that is why we have had trouble with them.

I spoke to Vortech and the guy who is suppose to be the guru told me I should only expect 325 RWHP on a 99 cobra.

I say; you advertise a 140 hp gain, I dynoed at 283 stock so I should see 423 rwhp which is what I had originally. . :nonono:

He says; duh, let me check, oh yea 140 but thats not rwhp thats shaft, :??:

I say: OK 320 stock 140 advertised gain = 460 shaft - 15% = 390 something rwhp (conservative) and most are getting over 420. I dynoed at 325. :gt:

He says; duh, - long silence- longer silence - uncomfortable silence- duh, :??:

Then my "tuner" talks to somebody at Vortech that says they need to pull my tank and check for fuel leaks at the pump. Of course this is at my expense. :uh oh:

I was at an On Track event this past week and the car ran but did bog down at times, no detonation though. So, its back to the drawing board. My "tuner" and I use that term carefully, is going to go over the whole car and make sure we don't have another problem. I'm starting to wonder about the fuel pump that has been mentioned earlier.

I'm really happy this is not my daily driver. At this point I would never do mods like a supercharger again. :bash:

I did speak to the mechanics at Kenny Browns shop this weekend. They suggested the Ford.com guys. They will be next for sure. Ill keep you posted. :cryying:

akatherazor4

Established Member
Dagwood,

It's good to hear your car is running a bit better. I see it's still not 100% though. I got a few questions for you. When you say "Tuner" what exactly do you mean? Does he have a dyno and if so could you post the dyno sheet with the A/F readings. My guess is that your car is pig rich and the timing is retarded big time. If your tuner can monitor timing then please ask him where you car is set at with the chip.

I also know that JMS changed there name from "Johnson Motorsports" to "JMS Chip". I was not aware that Chris Johnson sold this facility though. I will see if i can confirm that for you through a few contacts I have.

akatherazor4

Established Member
Dagwood,

I feel really bad for you bro.:nonono: Once your car's tune is correct you will love every minute of that cobra. I want to suggest something else to you that may be tough for you to do, but it's the way to go. First let me say that a "Traveling tuner" won't be much better then mail order stuff. I'm not trying to knock Fordchip at all or any other Traveling tuner, but if it get's tuned and something goes wrong then your screwed once again.

I did some brief research on your location opposed to the location of top tuner's in this country (My geography skills suck:lol: ). It looks to me as if your in Chi-Town. Well there are 2 very notable shops within about 300 miles of you. Alternative Auto Performance and Pauls High Performance. Why don't you call both of these shops and try to set up a weekend where you can travel to them and have your car tuned right. Take a 1-3 day trip there and get that cobra rolling. I listed the links to both places below for you.

http://www.alternativeauto.com/

http://www.paulshp.com/paulshp.htm

Maximus67

Established Member
Dagwood,

Both of these places below are great. Personally, I would suggest Alternative first ... Lidio is supposedly the best there is.

Users who are viewing this thread