99 Cobra T-45 to T56 Swap

danny14gnx

Established Member
Another swap thread i've searched and can't find my answers. I have a 99 Cobra, just purchased a t56 04 cobra tranny without a bell housing I need to know what it is exactly that I'm missing to complete the swap. Tranny also came with the crossmember and Tri-ax shifter.Also what clutch and flywheel size do i need same as stock? and wiring & sensors?Also I dont understand the reverse lockout to much. thanksss. :shrug:

Last edited:

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
You will need a 03 Cobra driveshaft & the proper bellhousing. If it has a 10 spline input shaft, you can use your factory clutch and flywheel. If its 26 spline, then a 26 spline clutch is needed.

The reverse lockout is beyond my knowledge, although I do recall seeing something about a GM part that actually works for it

danny14gnx

Established Member
the pinion flange I need is the original 03/04 cobra flange and do i have to swap out the u joint on the drive shaft? thanks for the help so far.

Last edited:

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
If you use the 03/04 flange you just use 03 U joints. They are too big for an 01 driveshaft. I got the 03 driveshaft with my swap so I used it. Works great. Reverse lockout you don't need. I never hooked it up in mine and I just use 2 hands for reverse. Its easier and less wiring.

danny14gnx

Established Member
So then the only other wiring is the extension of the brake light harness? And are you saying it's possible to use my 99 drive shaft by swapping out the 03 flange and u joints or do i need the 03 drive shaft and pinion flange regardless. Sorry for all the newbie questions.

Last edited:

danny14gnx

Established Member
so basically i could use my 99 driveshaft and just swap out the pinion flange to a 26 spline as well as the u joints? Also the only other wiring that i need to do then is the brake light extension? Sorry for all the newbie questions. Thanks.

01yellercobra

Established Member
so basically i could use my 99 driveshaft and just swap out the pinion flange to a 26 spline as well as the u joints? Also the only other wiring that i need to do then is the brake light extension? Sorry for all the newbie questions. Thanks.

The 26 spline they're referring to is the input shaft. The stock one is a 10 spline unit. If your transmission has the 10 spline input shaft you can use your stock clutch.

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
Do not reuse your stock driveshaft, now is the perfect time to upgrade to the 03/04. In that case, all you need is a correct pinion flange which only ran me about 30 bucks brand new. For the reverse lockout, the shop that did mine wired it so I can easily put it in reverse when the brake pedal is pressed. I had a buddy who didnt wire his up and putting it in reverse was a bitch.

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
Slip yoke from 99-01 will not fit Terminator trans.
I was pretty specific in the description, been there done that.
Terminator trans has different slip yoke than a 2000 R T56.
2000 R T56 has same slip yoke as 3650, T45. (T5 is different)

Terminator trans has a different one.

Again, if using Terminator trans and DS, use the hybrid U joint
mentioned above (one) for the rear U joint and your stock DS flange.

If using stock DS, use one Hybrid Ujoint for the FRONT U Joint
and use Teminator front slip yoke.

Basically you MUST use a Terminator front slip yoke on which ever
DS you use, so long as you are using a Terminator trans.

OR:
As stated in above post,
use a Terminator DS and get the Terminator diff flange (clicky).

BTW: Terminator DS is aluminum!!

Last edited:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
I used the delco harness, and just wired it to a cheap flip switch. Works perfectly and I don't have to force the shifter or cycle the solenoid every time I hit the brakes.

Users who are viewing this thread