99 Cobra Fuel system upgrade

Sleepinbeauty

Established Member
I just finished the rebuild on my shortblock and I'm almost ready to assemble the rest of the engine. I have not selected a power adder yet, but what is the easiest modification to make to fuel system to ensure I will have enough fuel for a turbo or SC setup that yields around 700 hp to the wheels. Is there anything easier than welding an modifying the 03/04 cobra fuel tanks?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Why would you have to weld the 03/04 tank? Are you wanting to keep the returnless or go return style?

Sleepinbeauty

Established Member
Why would you have to weld the 03/04 tank? Are you wanting to keep the returnless or go return style?

I was going by this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nceHUmm_izI

Can you explain the return and returnless style tanks?

I figure I'll throw this in while I'm at it. Do you know anyone who has drilling fixture for upgraded 9 mm dowel pins for the chain guides?

Last edited:

Sleepinbeauty

Established Member
03/04 cobra tank convert to return with a Fore hat!

Can you give me the link to the "fore hat?" I think that is the Fuel Pump hat and I'm thinking that your saying that the return is built into the hat so I can interchange the hat with the factory 03/04 Pumps or the GT500 pumps. Is that correct? Are there any other mods required or can I just do a direct swap of the 03/04 tank with what you mentioned? The video mentioned cutting a bracket from the '99 tank and welding it onto the 03/04.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
I was going by this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nceHUmm_izI

Can you explain the return and returnless style tanks?

I figure I'll throw this in while I'm at it. Do you know anyone who has drilling fixture for upgraded 9 mm dowel pins for the chain guides?
That doesn't look like much to do really. You'll want the 03/04 style tank because of the baffling for the train pumps.

Returnless and return are exactly what they sound like. There is no line to return the extra fuel to the tank in a returnless set up. You're car has a returnless system from the factory. IMO a returnless set up is fine to about 600hp. Above that I'd go return style.

Yes, Fore is a company that makes fuel hays. But I'm pretty sure we can't use GT500 pumps. There are enough choices out there that it really isn't a problem.

Sleepinbeauty

Established Member
That doesn't look like much to do really. You'll want the 03/04 style tank because of the baffling for the train pumps.

Returnless and return are exactly what they sound like. There is no line to return the extra fuel to the tank in a returnless set up. You're car has a returnless system from the factory. IMO a returnless set up is fine to about 600hp. Above that I'd go return style.

Yes, Fore is a company that makes fuel hays. But I'm pretty sure we can't use GT500 pumps. There are enough choices out there that it really isn't a problem.

Ok, I'm still trying to answer the question of what modifications do I need to make to the 03/04 tank to get it to work in the '99. It doesn't seem like I can just bolt it in and hook it up especially with a newly added return line. Where does the return line go? Is all the welding necessary as shown for the '99 vapor return?

Thanks

Brutal Metal

Established Member
depending on what fuel you use, for pump gas you could go with twin AEM 320's or Walbro 405's in a Fore Hat, for E-85 Walbro 465's. NO welding required for anything. If you wanna approach 700RW your gonna have to convert your current returnless to return, if your goal was 100RW less you could stay oem lines, 60lb injectors,03/04 tank, twin GT pumps.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Since you are new and don't really know what you are doing, I'd suggest buying a complete bolt in kit from Glenn's Performance or Lethal Performance. The Cobra and GT pumps can't be used return style. In return style, your pumps run at full speed constantly. The pressure is regulated by a...pressure regulator, based on demand. In returnless, your FPDM controls the pump. When people add a boost a pump, it's sending a signal to the pump to pump more than the FPDM is telling it to. The fuel system is something you don't want to goon up. It may be cheaper to piece together a system, but if you don't know how, you'll miss something and screw it up. Buy a kit. You just have to decide if you want internal or external pumps. Internals are quieter and are cooled by the fuel in the tank. Externals are louder, cooled by the air under the car, and are easier to access.

Sleepinbeauty

Established Member
I've never had a 99. It was a bolt in deal with my 01. However, the video seemed pretty clear. And there's a thread in the how to section.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655165

If you get the Fore hat it has a port for hooking up the return lines.

Did you have a vapor return port on your 01 tank? From that link you sent me (thank you), it looks as though I can just cap off the other end off the originating end of my vapor return port, on the filler neck, and bolt the tank in. I just need to make sure that the 03/04 wiring harness for the fuel tank is there so I can plug in the connectors.

Do you feel like with this returnless style setup equipped with "GT pumps" (GT what?) that I could safely support 700 to 800 rwhp?

Last edited:

Mach828

Established Member
I'm about to test the limits of a single 465 walbro, 60lb injectors, stock fuel hat, and upgraded 8an fuel line staying returnless.

After running the 255 pump, 340, and 465. I think the 465 is the best returnless pump on the market.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Did you have a vapor return port on your 01 tank? From that link you sent me (thank you), it looks as though I can just cap off the other end off the originating end of my vapor return port, on the filler neck, and bolt the tank in. I just need to make sure that the 03/04 wiring harness for the fuel tank is there so I can plug in the connectors.

Do you feel like with this returnless style setup equipped with "GT pumps" (GT what?) that I could safely support 700 to 800 rwhp?
No I didn't. I didn't have to do anything special to run an 04 tank in my 01. I dropped the 01 tank and installed the 04 tank.

If you're even semi-serious about 700hp forget messing with the returnless set up. Go straight to a return set up. In fact I think 04sleeper on here is a vendor for Fore. I'd contact him with your needs.

Sleepinbeauty

Established Member
Right on I think I have my answers. Do I need to even worry about a 03/04 tank then if my plan is to go a return style setup? Also, is there a thread where someone installs a setup like this on a '99 from a bone stock setup? If not I'll post one when I'm done.

I'll contact 04sleeper too.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
The 03/04 tank has a baffle in it for the twin pump set up. So that's the ideal set up. You can run the 99/01 tank, but you need to keep at least a quarter tank in it.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
03 tank goes right in if you want to run it for now. I ran one in my 01 on a stock motor without issue. If you're going for big numbers have you thought about running an E85 setup? There are a lot of benefits to it when it comes to tuning and the power you can make. It's not as common as pump gas, but some guys get a pump gas tune and and E85 tune. Now is the time to figure that out. You may find that E85 is a worthwhile upgrade and in the long run could save you money. There are a lot of guys on here running E85 with great results.

01yellercobra

Established Member
03 tank goes right in if you want to run it for now. I ran one in my 01 on a stock motor without issue. If you're going for big numbers have you thought about running an E85 setup? There are a lot of benefits to it when it comes to tuning and the power you can make. It's not as common as pump gas, but some guys get a pump gas tune and and E85 tune. Now is the time to figure that out. You may find that E85 is a worthwhile upgrade and in the long run could save you money. There are a lot of guys on here running E85 with great results.
There are differences between 99 and 01. For an 01 it's plug and play. The 99 has a couple more steps. As outlined in the other posts.

Users who are viewing this thread