'99 BMW 540it (wagon) with 6 speed swap FS/FT

RedBirdin96

Established Member
I know it is not exactly the typical car for this crowd, but it is definitely a unique and fun to drive car.

1999 BMW 540it
4.4L V8 (289 HP/320 TQ)
6 speed manual trans (this was not an option in the US on the 540 wagons, only the 540 sedans could be bought from the factory with the manual)
103k miles
excellent condition for its age
lots of recent maintenance done including spark plugs and cooling system overhaul (known weak point of these cars)
these engines easily run for 300k miles when properly cared for
rear air suspension to always keep car level
no engine lights or other fault codes

The car does carry a rebuilt title, but it has had nearly 60k put on it since the repair and there are no ill effects. The repairs were done well and without compromise to the cars overall structure. Must see and drive to appreciate. I am also willing to trade for a clean lower mileage Excursion preferably 2WD and the V10. Would need to be similar price range for an even swap. I might be able to put some cash with it, but not much.

IMG_0112.jpg

See my craigslist link for more details:

https://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/4812362639.html

The car is my daily driver so mileage will continue to go up.

Thanks for looking,
Kevin

Last edited:

Teal Terminator

Established Member
I can vouch for this car and seller (my brother). It is super clean and runs great. Definitely a looker and something you don't see every day.

stangposse

Established Member
Awe man....if I had the room I would love to scoop this up....much cheaper than a CTS-V or an S4 and still fun I'm sure.

I'm assuming the swap was done after the accident....true? Any idea on the mileage on the tranny? Clutch life? Shift smoothly in all gears?

I'll pass this onto a friend...I'm sure he'll have same questions.

RedBirdin96

Established Member
Awe man....if I had the room I would love to scoop this up....much cheaper than a CTS-V or an S4 and still fun I'm sure.

I'm assuming the swap was done after the accident....true? Any idea on the mileage on the tranny? Clutch life? Shift smoothly in all gears?

I'll pass this onto a friend...I'm sure he'll have same questions.

The swap was actually done before the wreck. I bought it from the owner that bought it from the salvage yard, and the swap was already done at that point. Since owning it I have done all I can searching the BMW forums to find the owner that actually performed the swap, because the time frame during which it was done it had to be one of the first tourings to have the swap completed successfully. Based on some info from the previous owner, it was speculated that the swap was relatively fresh when it was wrecked and the components were new at that point, so I put tranny life at approximately 50-70k miles. Clutch feel is great, no slop/slip. The shifter is a little notchy, but that is a common issue with these cars especially once a short shifter is installed which this one has. Definitely a fun daily driver and gets a lot of looks.

Users who are viewing this thread