99/01 harness/ecu help?!

tug speedman

Established Member
Hey guys as you can tell im new to this forum as I'm in the process of doing a 4v swap on my 99 GT. I have just bought a 99 cobra engine harness from a fellow member and looking to buy a ecu. Will a 01 ecu work? I realize the part numbers are different and the most I can find out is on a pin out in comparing a 99/01 cobra to 03/04 mach 1. Ive looked on the forum and check the FAQ section but can't seem to find anything. If it comes down to a tune issue Im not that worried. I've been reading as much as I can and have decided not to modify my 2v harness and wanted to go for a easier route and wouldnt have to worry about connectors and or soldering with electrical current drop offs or something to that degree. I'm open to thoughts and advice if anyone has experience with this. I'm always willing to learn and expan my knowledge.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/new-edge-cobras-51/578345-questions-2001-motor-into-1999-a.html

99 wired car, 99 motor, use 99 ECU

99 wired car, 01 motor, use 99 ECU

01 wired car, 99 motor, use 01 ECU

01 wired car, 01 motor, use 01 ECU

Basically, the 99-01 interior wiring is different and a MAJOR headache to deal with. Since your car's wiring is 99, find yourself a 99 ECU so that all the functions will be compatible with each other and will work. If you use an 01 ECU, you will lose your AC function and rear window defrost functions. Also make sure you use a 99 gauge cluster as well since the 01 is slightly different from the 99 (AC and defrost is wired into it as well).

Last edited:

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
You can also modify your GT harness to work with the 4V motor and 2V PCM.
You would lose the knock sensor capability though.

Users who are viewing this thread