98 or 99 cobra?

PiMpOnAnR1

JIBBIES!
Established Member
i would like to know your opinios on the challange i think the 99 is better looking but i believe that the 98 will beat it and be better for racing because of the solid rear what are your opinions? :banana:

SVT Lurch

Good times
Established Member
I would say it depends on which 99 shows up. I've heard some dynoing less than GTs and others pretty close to 300. I personally would go with the 98 becuase i like their look better.

Snarf

Lacey Chabert FTW!
Established Member
Get the '99 The only advatage a 98 might have over a 99 is the solid axle. Personally, I hate solid axle cars, they handle like pigs. Also, I don't drag race at all. The only way you might possibly see a 98 as being better is if you do alot of drag racing, and you don't want to buy a solid rear end for a 99.

NXSVTCOBRA

pimp, you cant base everything off of an axle, there are some IRS cars that'll make your freakin head snap when they launch, but IMO opiniion stock for stock the 99 would win over the 98..... i believe the 99 has better/bigger valves, and a better intake design but stock for stock the 99's got em beat

Snarf

Lacey Chabert FTW!
Established Member
quick01snake said:
you want me to show you how a solid axle car handles? LOL

Hey Hammy :) I didn't mean i think your car handles like poo- its just there is a noticable difference between an IRS car and a solid axle car. I really don't like the feel that solid axles give off. :beer:

TnPaulMan

Banned
As I understand, the C heads on the 99 an 01s are better for sub-8K reving. The B heads on a 96-98 is better for over-8K reving. So it depends on how you plan on rebuilding the motor. I believe the C heads create more torque.

Paul

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
98 has the advantage in slightly less weight and solid axle, so if you plan to drag race a lot you are ahead of the game because you don't have to do the solid axle swap.

99 makes about 15 more hp. (320 in 99 vs. 305 in 98)

A race between these two cars is a drivers race. From a roll, the nod goes to the 99, from a dig, I would pick the 98. Either way it's still a very close race. However, the 99's are prone to axle breakage due to hard launches.

On an AutoX circuit (stock for stock) the 99 gets the nod. Once you start modding the suspension, all bets are off. Also, because of the IRS, the 99-01 Cobras are more balanced front/back vs. the 96-98 (lets not even mention the Terminators).

The IRS is also more 'livable' than the solid axle IMO (having had a 96 GT with a stick axle vs. my 99).

Looks are totally subjective. I like the overall style of the 99+ years better, but the hood and front fascia on the 96-98 Cobras look suwheet.

Either car makes an excellent starting point, but have you considered an 03/04 Cobra? Since they start with forged internals, you can get pretty crazy with them powerwise without doing much internally, and you can always pull the solid axle from a wrecked GT in a boneyard (or do a swap with a GT owner who wants the IRS).

Last edited:

NXSVTCOBRA

then again if i were just building a car for racing and wanted a modular motor.... i'd buy a 6 cylinder car and build it, you'll always come out a lot cheaper.... but then again im Mr. Budget

mackj66

Established Member
AzDropTop said:
Go with the 99. More HP, More TQ, better looks:), and how often are you really going to be racing?

Yeah...you are probably right...go with the 99 if you just want to look good.
Go with the 98 if you want to look good and race.

Couldn't let that one pass... :-D

Go with the 98...nothin beats that cobra hood. I am also biased.
It boils down to which body style you like better. Performance differences are minor between the two.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Hum, lets see (glances at sig) i'll have to go with the 98:) heres how this will turn out, the people with 99+ will say 99, the people with 96-98 will say 98.

AzDropTop

Established Member
mackj66 said:
Yeah...you are probably right...go with the 99 if you just want to look good.
Go with the 98 if you want to look good and race.

Couldn't let that one pass... :-D

Go with the 98...nothin beats that cobra hood. I am also biased.
It boils down to which body style you like better. Performance differences are minor between the two.

ha ha good one! :thumbsup:

PiMpOnAnR1

JIBBIES!
Established Member
great info guys i liek to race a bit but not so much i love looks but i herd that the 99/01 had a problem in making liek less then gt power because of problems? did the 98 have the same? :rockon:

SVT Lurch

Good times
Established Member
only 99s had the power problems, I have yet to hear oof an 01 with similar issues. I also have never heard of a 98 having power issues, only 96s (cooling not power, but still a problem for some). Usually the problems are only in the first of the breed.

I believe the intake was the problem and also the catback, Im not too too sure on those 2 things but I remember something along those lines. I had a tough decision also when I was choosing cars, it boiled down to 01 and 98. The 03 I was looking at was totally ragged on. The 01 was fast, but I would get some nasty ass wheel-hop and I was afraid I would break that too easily, don't get me wrong though, I absolutely love the 99/01 cobra's, but looks wise, they didn't do it for me, now that I think back on it, I would have probably gotten the 01 and put the 00 R hood on it:D

AzDropTop

Established Member
PiMpOnAnR1 said:
can someone fill me in on what the power problem was and how it could be fixed if any1 knows?

Not all of the 99's had HP problems, but a lot of the first run cars did. Basically ford put on a higher flow cat-back, cleaned up the intake, and reflashed the computer. 99% or more of the 99 cars had the "fix" from ford.

I believe the problem with the 96 cars was a cooling issure.

Users who are viewing this thread