'98 Hood question

mambaman

Established Member
I just got my '98 cobra, but something has really been bothering me...all the pictures i see of them have 2 holes in the hood, whereas my hood does not, so was the hood on my car replaced with something else?any info would be great. thanks

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
The 96-98 cobras do have the "holes" in the hood. Whoever you got it from must have put on a GT or mustang hood on it. What does the hood that is on the car look like?

Andrew

mambaman

Established Member
haha, i realized aftre reading it that the term "holes" sounded a little stupid, but oh well. i will attempt to get a pic on here tomorrow if at all possible, but if not i'll just post a detailed description when i get some time.

mambaman

Established Member
the VIN is a Cobra VIN, it's got the SVT plaque on the engine, the cobra wheels, the cobra rear bumper, the cobra steering wheel, it sure as hell outhandles a regular mustang, so yea, you could say i'm pretty sure....but if it'd make you feel better, this is from carfax:

VIN: 1FAFP47VXWF113657
Year/Make/Model: 1998 FORD MUSTANG COBRA/SVT
Body Style: Coupe
Engine Type: 4.6L V8 EFI DOHC 32V
Manufactured In: UNITED STATES

Last edited:

1 BA SVT

your momma likes it
Established Member
I only asked cause people try to pass off shit for something it's not. I had a salesman try to tell me that a GT with the Cobra front bumper and rear bumer and the SVT badges was a Cobra.

Perhaps he kept the hood to put on another car and just pickup a V-6/GT hood cheap to put on it.

mambaman

Established Member
oh i'm not offended or anything, i'm just trying to make it clear that yes, it is a cobra, i was just curios about the hood. it's also possible that it got damaged and was replaced, either way it doesn't really bother me since the important parts (engine, suspension, brakes, etc.) ARE all cobra.

97 horse snake

Established Member
if you want one, i'm sure you could find one for sale on here. there's a lot of guys driving around with the cobra r raised hood on their cars and probably have their stock hood just lying around.

03Redfire Cobra

Toss my salad?
Established Member
Here:

GOOD NEWS - CARFAX Certified History - Guaranteed!
This 1998 FORD MUSTANG COBRA/SVT (1FAFP47VXWF113657) qualifies for the CARFAX Certified History, a guarantee worth up to $5,000 that protects you from buying a vehicle with severe damage, mileage fraud, or Lemon history.

This 1998 FORD MUSTANG COBRA/SVT (1FAFP47VXWF113657) has 2 known owner(s). In compliance with the U.S. privacy laws, CARFAX does not collect or report owner names or addresses.

Known Owners: Date: Location:
1st owner 10/18/1997 Ohio
2nd owner 01/22/2000 Ohio

This 1998 FORD MUSTANG COBRA/SVT (1FAFP47VXWF113657) has 1 manufacturer recall(s) that require repair. Most manufacturer recalls can be repaired at no cost to you.

Date: Source: Description:
10/24/2000 Ford Motor Company Manufacturer recall issued
RECALL # 00S37 PARK BRAKE CONTROL ASSEMBLY

03Redfire Cobra

Toss my salad?
Established Member
CARFAX searched over 2 billion records from nearly 800 sources and found 10 record(s) for this 1998 FORD MUSTANG COBRA/SVT (1FAFP47VXWF113657).

Date:
Odometer Reading:
Source:
General Comments:

10/18/1997 8 Ohio
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Strongsville, OH
Title #1802411553
Title issued
First owner reported
First lien reported

10/18/1997 Ohio
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Strongsville, OH
Registered as
private vehicle

01/07/2000 3,000 Ohio
Inspection Station
Passed emissions inspection

01/17/2000 Auto Dealership
Vehicle offered for sale

01/22/2000 3,520 Ohio
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Westlake, OH
Title #1803596468
Title issued
New owner reported

02/01/2000 3,531 Ohio
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Cleveland, OH
Title #1803609837
Title issued
Registered as lease vehicle

10/24/2000 Ford Motor Company
Manufacturer recall issued
RECALL # 00S37 PARK BRAKE CONTROL ASSEMBLY
Click here to locate an authorized Ford dealership near you to obtain more information about this recall.

12/04/2000 Auto Dealership
Vehicle offered for sale

06/28/2002 21,000 Ohio
Inspection Station
Failed emissions inspection

07/01/2002 Ohio
Inspection Station
Passed emissions inspection

94CobraPace

Established Member
What about the bulge? Didn't Ford make the Cobra hood with the bulge to clear the intake? 96-98 have the hoods with a bulge and "nostrals". I didn't think a regular hood would fit with the intake, some one correct me if I'm wrong. Or was the bulge there just for looks?

mambaman

Established Member
ok, obviously from what people have been kind enough to post, it is a genuine cobra, so here's the deal on what the hood looks like: it has the bulge (raised center), but no openings. that said, the paint matches perfectly and all, so i'm not worried, i think it looks just fine. thanks for the responses everyone

Alex_96Cobra

Cant Sleep-Clown'l eat me
Established Member
yeah lots of people put the 95 Cobra R hood on their 96-98 snakes. They look cool, but I like my hood just fine I just wish it didnt have the scratches on it :nonono:
A

mambaman

Established Member
how can i be sure it's a '95 cobra R hood as opposed to, say, a '98 GT hood?that'd be kinda cool if it were, i'm just wondering (i realize i sound incredibly ignorant at this point, but please realize that my major interest in the car doesn't lie in the hood)

97 horse snake

Established Member
i would post a pic, but i don't know how. check over at the cobra r boards. look around. there should be a couple pics of the 95 r. it's raised a lot. like a cowl induction hood.

Scream'nCobra

Established Member
A 98 GT/v6 hood will not fit b/c of the clearance needed for the intake like 94PaceCar said, nor will any other stock mustang hood unless it is a 96-98 cobra hood. But you obviously have some kind of aftermarket hood if it is raised in the middle. Are there any other distinguishing marks on the hood? (e.g. ram air openings, "heat exractor openings", etc.) Is it a cowl hood? I do realize that this is a minor issue, but you might as well know what kind of hood you have on your cobra.

Alex_96Cobra

Cant Sleep-Clown'l eat me
Established Member
http://www.firstmagic.com/~merlin/cobra/cobrapic.cgi?95-front-right

here is a pic of the R hood, I think? I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. I just did a Google search and this was about all I could find other than some grainy pictures. I'm actually very surprised I couldnt find a pic of the real 95 Cobra R this is "just" a 95 Cobra with athe R hood.

Alex

mambaman

Established Member
yea that's my hood....

does the Cobra R hood offer anything special, like being lighter, or does it just look different?

97 horse snake

Established Member
i believe most models of it sold are lighter. i believe that's about it though. if you want your stock hood back, i'll trade you for mine. :)

Scream'nCobra

Established Member
The R hood is like 2 1/4 inches higher than a stock hood i believe. Its a carbon fiber hood so it weighs much less. Its a nice looking hood!

Users who are viewing this thread