98 GMC Sierra-Horrible Belt Squeak-HELP

03OxWhiteMach

Lexi Belle=1 Sexy Clown
Established Member
Sorry to post this on a Ford website, but I'm not a member of any GMC forums.

So... my 1998 GMC Sierra work truck is making a horrible squeaking sound from the serpentine belt system. Its got me totally stumped.

So far, I've replaced the alternator, the power steering pump, the idler pulley, belt tensioner, and put a new belt on. The truck has 120,000 miles on it and could use it anyway.

My A/C compressor is shot, so today I bought and installed an A/C compressor bypass kit and took the A/C compresser completely out. It still is SQUEAKING!! :fm:

Any other ideas guys and girls? Ive pretty much completely replaced the whole entire assembly at this point, what else could it be?

Last edited:

03OxWhiteMach

Lexi Belle=1 Sexy Clown
Established Member
I justed dumped a bit of water on it and it went away completely.... for about 5-7 seconds. Then it starts right back up. Whats that mean?

Its not just a minor squeak or I wouldnt be concerned... It sounds like crickets in the summer under my hood! LOL

tj04cobra

Established Member
Did you have to remove and transfer the power steering pump pulley from the old pump to the new pump? If so, make sure that you have the pulley installed correctly. If you pressed the pulley in a little too far, it will make it squeak!!

Last edited:

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
You can you adjust the belt tensioner? Possibly sounds like it needs to be tighter.

Exactly what I was thinking. You did replace the belt correct? I had what I thought was a good belt on a 91 f150 no cracks and still looked new. It started squeaking, I jus replaced the belt and it went away.

03OxWhiteMach

Lexi Belle=1 Sexy Clown
Established Member
Brand new belt and brand new tensioner... Belt seems nice and tight, no slack.

Why does it go away when I pour water on it?

tj04cobra

Established Member
You said that you replaced the power steering pump. Did you have to transfer the pulley? If so and you installed the pulley too far onto the shaft of the pump, it will squeak.

03OxWhiteMach

Lexi Belle=1 Sexy Clown
Established Member
You said that you replaced the power steering pump. Did you have to transfer the pulley? If so and you installed the pulley too far onto the shaft of the pump, it will squeak.

I did have to transfer the pulley from the old unit, it didn't come attached. Definitely something I can check out tomorrow.

Anything else you guys think it could be?

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Take the belt off and start it up? That eliminates damn near everything.

I've also heard of using a wooden broom handle, put it on the end of each pulley as the engine is running and you can use it to isolate the squeak.

tj04cobra

Established Member
I did have to transfer the pulley from the old unit, it didn't come attached. Definitely something I can check out tomorrow.

Anything else you guys think it could be?

I cant think of anything else right now, I have a good feeling that is the issue. I could be wrong, but definitely check it.

You will be able to see if it is aligned with the other pulleys from a side angle. The pulley Should also be flush with the end of the pump shaft when installed correctly. Like I said if it is pressed on too far it will squeak, no doubt about it. If you see that it is pressed on too far, get a remover tool and slowly back it off til it is flush. After that the squeak should immediately go away.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread