98 Cobra Fuel Pump Upgrade Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenny150r

Hello,

New to this forum. I have a 98 Cobra with a 14 psi 2.1 KB kit / 8.2:1 compression. I put in a "255 lph" generic-ish fuel pump from Rock Auto before I put on the blower as a factory replacement when the OEM one went out. Now with the blower, the tuner is saying the pump is almost maxed out, with the boost-a-pump at 80% (I have 48# injectors). The car is only putting down 309 whp/348 wtq at the moment. I'm thinking that Rock Auto pump wasn't really a 255 lph pump...

What are my options for upgrading the fuel pump? Every thread I find is at least 5 years old. I cannot find the part number for the aviator pump, which people said to use. Calling the local Ford dealership, they want $500 for the whole unit! Crazy.

Any 98 owners know of the easiest, cheapest option? I would at least like to support 400 whp. The tuner recommended an aeromotive 340lph pump, but I cannot find one for a 98.

Thank you!

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
I just pulled out an aviator pump from my tank in order to go bigger (blower). The aviator provided plenty of fuel and I put down 415rwhp. It can go up to around 450rwhp safely. Part# is 3C5U-9350-AB.
These are a plug and play with our cars.

20$ shipped and its yours.

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
Walbaro has a plug and play fuel pump for the 98 Cobra, part number TU227 HP. Walbaro claims it supports 600 HP...I would figure thats on the high side and more like 500HP. I bought one and opened the basket. It uses the Walbro DCSS 39/50 turbine fuel pump that puts out 290LPH in this configuration.

bullitt_11

Established Member
I went with a Aeromotive 340LPH in my 97. Plugged in and fit the sending unit perfectly. 47lb injectors. Car made 492rwhp.

I know 98s kind of have a bastard fuel system though.

Last edited:

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
I'm running a Aviator fuel pump in my 98. I have a little Vortech and have had no issues yet. Been running the same pump over 5 years.

outrunme

Established Member
I put an Aeromotive Stealth 340 in my stock 98 fuel tank. Had to modify the basket a bit as it is a bit taller than original. Very easy mod though. Supporting 430rwhp at the moment with no issues. I would suggest removing the factory in-line check valve in the basket output, mine stuck and caused a lack of pressure, took me forever to find it.

96GT226410

Established Member
Walbaro has a plug and play fuel pump for the 98 Cobra, part number TU227 HP. Walbaro claims it supports 600 HP...I would figure thats on the high side and more like 500HP. I bought one and opened the basket. It uses the Walbro DCSS 39/50 turbine fuel pump that puts out 290LPH in this configuration.
Isn't that the part number for the 98 GT fuel pump? I thought the Cobra fuel pump was different than the GT fuel pump.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

I have on of these in the wife's Cobra. It works well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread