98 cobra fan swap help

secretz

Whipple donator wanted
Established Member
So, I figured out that I needed a new fan. I settled upon a 98 Mark VIII fan, but I'm having problems even getting it installed into the engine bay. I just wanna know if and what other people have done and some other issues I may encounter along the way...?

allgo90

Established Member
i didn't use a mark8 fan, but when i swapped mine it was pretty straight forward. Id find out if the fans are the same first...

MouTine

Established Member
How about some new after market fan, like Spall or what ever quality product. Last summer when I installed huge radiator I installed two Spall fans, one front and one back of the rad.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
i would think the mark 8 fan and mustang fan is diffrent.. the motor maybe the same, but the shroud should be diffrent.

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
hey secretz does your stock fan and the new one you have now have the same wiring harness hook up if they do check the dimensions and make sure the shroud is the same size as your stock one also the thickness of the fan and shroud. do you have pics of both fans so i could see

secretz

Whipple donator wanted
Established Member
venom: no, both fans look different but are both 18 - 18.5" fans. I've read on various forums that a lot of fox body and 99-04 owners have used this particular fan (the blades are a lot bigger than the sn95 fans).

I've already cut certain parts of the shroud (similar to the pic) since it wouldn't fit past the ASB unit.

General Mark VIII parts link

pix:
Mark VIII fan
similar cobra fan

The wiring harness is almost the same, there's three wires that hook into the fan itself (on the cobra it's black, red, and orange/red. On the mark8 setup it's black, red, and blue/orange...I could be mistaken on the colors tho).

I just replaced the CCRM and was wondering if I'd have to replace the CCRM with DCC controller, since the amperage is going to spike due to this stronger fan.

damnit, I need a beer...this is giving me a headache.
Maybe I really should've kept it stock. :bored:

Last edited:

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
i am sure you could splice the wires and put the connector end from your cobra fan on to the new fan that way it will plug in as for fit ment goes where are you having trouble getting it in at?

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
i have heard a few people doing this because the shroud is a lot better than the cobra fans i believe you just need to trim some parts let me know where you are having trouble fitting it and where it is getting stuck at

secretz

Whipple donator wanted
Established Member
Why oh why didn't you just get a Mustang Cobra fan? They fit right in no questions asked.

Yeah, I know, I should've done it in the first place, but they're 450 each...as opposed to the M8 fan, which you can get on ebay for 70. I didn't realize that I was going to have to go through hell in modifying it...so, I coughed up the 400 bucks and got the stock one.

qkslvr221

Established Member
Yeah, I know, I should've done it in the first place, but they're 450 each...as opposed to the M8 fan, which you can get on ebay for 70. I didn't realize that I was going to have to go through hell in modifying it...so, I coughed up the 400 bucks and got the stock one.

I just bought a OEM replacement from discount auto parts for 100 bucks! Return that thing and look elsewhere!

SNAKEYE

Established Member

ATTABOY! Live and learn.

Users who are viewing this thread