98 cobra drivetrain into 03 terminator

Ucnhtmenow

Established Member
First someone wants to put 2v heads on their B head cobra, now we are putting a B head engine into a termi?? You need to list more details of the car and parts you have. Guessing you have an 03 cobra with no engine/bad engine? Still have IRS installed? It surely could be done but you'd be doing a lot of work and buying some older parts and end up with a slow car...
How's it going to be a slow car with a built, forged, ported teksid (better/stronger than the 03 when done right) with a 84mm turbo? To think I wanted to run it NA is silly.

Last edited:

Ucnhtmenow

Established Member
First someone wants to put 2v heads on their B head cobra, now we are putting a B head engine into a termi?? You need to list more details of the car and parts you have. Guessing you have an 03 cobra with no engine/bad engine? Still have IRS installed? It surely could be done but you'd be doing a lot of work and buying some older parts and end up with a slow car...
The parts are irrelevant really, Im just wondering any sensor, bracket, wiring, fuel line differences etc .. I would have to change to work with the 03 harness. Why would my camshafts have anything to do with that? Not being sarcastic either.

If anyone knows these motors, what's the biggest difference in the 98 and 03? Better flowing heads? Heavier? Upgraded head cooling unit, and what else? Nothing. Considering the heads are now built, the 98 cams compared to the 03 are actually an upgrade, intake side at least, and now that it's fully forged, .020 over with 17cc dished pistons, arp everything and a turbo, the 03 is actually weaker. Without the blower, how much horsepower do you think the 03 cobra makes? The same as an 01 cobra? 10 more hp than the 98 cobra? So what are you guys talking about? I asked for suggestions not opinions. 800+hp doesn't seem slow to me. Is anything I said wrong? Anyone??

Last edited:

Roush6018

Established Member
so this is going to be an engine swap car. what the smog referee wants to see is the emissions stuff from the motor you want installed in the chassis you choose, to pass the smog test.

you want the motor from a 1998 mustang cobra. this motor did have the 4v heads and was 4.6L. and you changed some pistons and built the heads. the block from this car is lighter because of the materials it is made from.

the engine in the 03 cobra had the pistons matched to the intake it was running which happened to be a eaton supercharger. nobody dynoed their 03 cobra with the superchager unhooked becuase it wasnt built (i mean cams and pistons/rods) to run with it unhooked. also this vehicle had an iron block to help the motor last longer (maybe 100k miles) with all the heat from the supercharger boost.

so you will have a better and lighter engine than a stock 03 cobra. the reason the cobra is specific because the timing and injectors need to be adjusted for the boost, and this 03 cobra ECM can do that with no tune required( up to 12 psi stock tune is ok) . in order for you to use a 98 cobra computer it will need a tune to work right for the supercharger you choose.

also the transmssions from both cars have 2 different wiring harnesses that do not plug into the engine wiring harness. so youre going to want a 98 cobra engine harness if you want the 5-speed harness to plug in , and youre going to want a 03 cobra engine harness if you want a t-56 wiring harness to plug in. the connector for the transmission is at the back of the engine near the very top of the bellhousing.

Ucnhtmenow

Established Member
so this is going to be an engine swap car. what the smog referee wants to see is the emissions stuff from the motor you want installed in the chassis you choose, to pass the smog test.

you want the motor from a 1998 mustang cobra. this motor did have the 4v heads and was 4.6L. and you changed some pistons and built the heads. the block from this car is lighter because of the materials it is made from.

the engine in the 03 cobra had the pistons matched to the intake it was running which happened to be a eaton supercharger. nobody dynoed their 03 cobra with the superchager unhooked becuase it wasnt built (i mean cams and pistons/rods) to run with it unhooked. also this vehicle had an iron block to help the motor last longer (maybe 100k miles) with all the heat from the supercharger boost.

so you will have a better and lighter engine than a stock 03 cobra. the reason the cobra is specific because the timing and injectors need to be adjusted for the boost, and this 03 cobra ECM can do that with no tune required( up to 12 psi stock tune is ok) . in order for you to use a 98 cobra computer it will need a tune to work right for the supercharger you choose.

also the transmssions from both cars have 2 different wiring harnesses that do not plug into the engine wiring harness. so youre going to want a 98 cobra engine harness if you want the 5-speed harness to plug in , and youre going to want a 03 cobra engine harness if you want a t-56 wiring harness to plug in. the connector for the transmission is at the back of the engine near the very top of the bellhousing.
Ty

Ty. Finally someone with a brain. I'm going with the t56 so I should be good there. As far as fuel rails, just buy for the 03 correct? And you also notcied that no where in the world is there numbers for the 03 motor without the blower, understandably, but you would think at least 1 person did so. I've seen guys running a teksid block with forged internals running over 1000hp on a stock 03 ecu. So how anyone could complain about that blows my mind. I'm a blower type guy but turbos have come a long way and I don't have $10k to buy a procharger or a twin screw set-up.

Roush6018

Established Member
so youre going to want to find a engine and transmission harness for the 03 cobra. install the t-56 to your built teksid block. then install a 99-01 cobra intake on your motor. install a aftermarket k-member and then install your turbo kit. the hardest part will be converting the car to use the 96-01 alternator, which has been done for 03 cobra owners who went to turbo after trying every supercharger combo on the block.

the only sensor you have to add to the 99-01 setup will be a IAT2 sensor, you can buy a stock oem 03 cobra one and then fit it on your intake manifold, then when you install the motor the harness will already have the connector , and the computer will able to read the temp of the boosted air which is very important.

i have a full 03 cobra swap and about 7-8 psi stock pulley is still fast. my favorite part i had installed is my twin-disc clutch , erry-one needs one of these!

freebird50

Established Member
I agree that this seems like a pointless idea but a built b head motor with a big centri could outrun a terminator very easily. Not slow at all with boost.

freebird50

Established Member
Ty

Ty. Finally someone with a brain. I'm going with the t56 so I should be good there. As far as fuel rails, just buy for the 03 correct? And you also notcied that no where in the world is there numbers for the 03 motor without the blower, understandably, but you would think at least 1 person did so. I've seen guys running a teksid block with forged internals running over 1000hp on a stock 03 ecu. So how anyone could complain about that blows my mind. I'm a blower type guy but turbos have come a long way and I don't have $10k to buy a procharger or a twin screw set-up.
No offense but if you don't have the money why are you even bothering with this idea? Your going to end up with a slow car and also it won't be worth anything either. Just save up and get a used terminator engine and transmission and do it right. However a built b head motor with a big blower or turbo will smoke most terminators modded or not. Save up and do it right now hurry and take your time.

mlackke

Established Member
This thread

Nimetön.jpg

But seriously, it can be done but needs effort.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The pistons were matched to the intake? Wut? Ford dropped the compression to be safe. Especially since they couldn't get the knock sensors to play nice with the eaton. For all the claims about the iron being stronger it really came down a cost thing. The iron was cheaper and easier to get.

The ECU has no clue what engine it's running. It just knows to fire the injectors and spark plugs at certain times. Yes, I know that's extremely simplistic, but that's the basics.

Does the current body have the ECU and wiring harness? If so I would just run that as needed. If it doesn't have the ECU go with the MS3 PNP ECU. I'm assuming smog isn't an issue for you given the parts you've mentioned.

As mentioned you'll need to move the alternator wiring harness. If you're running the stock ECU you'll want to keep the IAT2 sensor as that's what the timing tables are based off of. If you run an aftermarket ECU they generally run one temp sensor and if you're going to run an air to air intercooler the IAT sensor placement has a little more leeway. In my centri days I ran mine right before the throttle body.

FWIW, the 03/04 Mach's ran the same cams as the Cobras. But a couple more points of compression since they were N/A.

Sounds like an interesting set up.

Fopar

Established Member
Just build a 96-98 cobra... or GT... you're gonna SRA swap the terminator anyways... Also a turbo motor on a terminator with stock ECU is stupid, you won't have knock sensors (which you would have with a stock 96-98 cobra ECU). This is all kinds of retarded

Users who are viewing this thread