98 cobra drivetrain into 03 terminator

Ucnhtmenow

Established Member
I was just wondering what problems if any at all I will run into or have to worry about. Fuel system/gas tank/pulleys/cpu/driveshaft. Thanks IA

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
First someone wants to put 2v heads on their B head cobra, now we are putting a B head engine into a termi?? You need to list more details of the car and parts you have. Guessing you have an 03 cobra with no engine/bad engine? Still have IRS installed? It surely could be done but you'd be doing a lot of work and buying some older parts and end up with a slow car...

redrocket16

Established Member
Sell the 03/04 Cobra if it really is a Cobra as a roller and pickup a V6 to do this swap IMO. No way I would go backwards with a motor, it would even be sacrilege if you put a coyote in a Terminator.

Ucnhtmenow

Established Member
It definitely won't be slower. You speak as if there's huge difference between the 98&03 To begin with. I have a teksid long block with full port on heads/upper & lower. 17cc forged pistons and Manley rods. Heavy duty s trim head unit planning on 16-18psi. Ran 12psi on the stock block for moree than 3 years. Back on subject, what parts would need to be changed to complete this. Have everything I need for this long block. Thnx again

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Sell the 03/04 Cobra if it really is a Cobra as a roller and pickup a V6 to do this swap IMO. No way I would go backwards with a motor, it would even be sacrilege if you put a coyote in a Terminator.

Better another FORD engine than say an LSx into a Terminator.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
It definitely won't be slower. You speak as if there's huge difference between the 98&03 To begin with. I have a teksid long block with full port on heads/upper & lower. 17cc forged pistons and Manley rods. Heavy duty s trim head unit planning on 16-18psi. Ran 12psi on the stock block for moree than 3 years. Back on subject, what parts would need to be changed to complete this. Have everything I need for this long block. Thnx again

Treat it as an engine replacement.

I assume most if not all the original 03 Cobra wiring harness and ECU is all there, which can all be used.

You will have to swap to the 99up COP valve covers, and there might be some very minor issues with certain sensors between the B-head years and the 03-04 stuff. However, it would/should be straight forward enough with over 90 percent of the sensors.

You dont have to worry about pullies. The driveshaft, depends on what you will use. If its the T56, then use the 03-04 Cobra driveshaft. Is the IRS still in it?

Fuel system, you can use the stock 03 gas tank (upgrade the pumps). You might be able to make the 03 Fuel rails work with the 98 motor (mounting tabs are different between the years), and you have to worry about the Fuel rail pressure sensor on the 03, which shouldnt be a problem. OR you can switch to a return style system and not have to worry about all the associated fuel sensors on that the 03s came with. If you do that, the tuner can compensate in the tune for the change.

Last edited:

nomoretickets

Established Member
Treat it as an engine replacement.

I assume most if not all the original 03 Cobra wiring harness and ECU is all there, which can all be used.

You will have to swap to the 99up COP valve covers, and there might be some very minor issues with certain sensors between the B-head years and the 03-04 stuff. However, it would/should be straight forward enough with over 90 percent of the sensors.

You dont have to worry about pullies. The driveshaft, depends on what you will use. If its the T56, then use the 03-04 Cobra driveshaft. Is the IRS still in it?

Fuel system, you can use the stock 03 gas tank (upgrade the pumps). You might be able to make the 03 Fuel rails work with the 98 motor (mounting tabs are different between the years), and you have to worry about the Fuel rail pressure sensor on the 03, which shouldnt be a problem. OR you can switch to a return style system and not have to worry about all the associated fuel sensors on that the 03s came with. If you do that, the tuner can compensate in the tune for the change.

^ this

Prototype007

Established Member
First someone wants to put 2v heads on their B head cobra, now we are putting a B head engine into a termi?? You need to list more details of the car and parts you have. Guessing you have an 03 cobra with no engine/bad engine? Still have IRS installed? It surely could be done but you'd be doing a lot of work and buying some older parts and end up with a slow car...

My thoughts exactly.

Good luck, Ucnhtmenow!

Ucnhtmenow

Established Member
Thanks really appreciate it. Don't know why some people would rather busy someone's balls than help them out. If they had a motor the had built for damn near 5k and came upon a trur cobra roller for as cheap as I did they would do the same. I'll never get my money's worth for what I built the motor for

Users who are viewing this thread