98 Cobra C head swap and more!

98KBcobra

SVT Poster
Established Member
Currently have a 98 cobra, built engine and a KB. So my 1.5 KB is coming off and a new bigger one is going on. Obviously I will have to do the C head swap, been all over the internet and really couldn't find the exact answers.

I have 2004 cobra heads, 03 cobra lower, intercooler and coolant adapter. (Not on car yet). Still have to get: overflow reservoir, coolant pump, front mount heat exchanger, new head gaskets?

First question: I understand that I can use my same ignition set up and valve covers?

Second question: Will my front timing cover work with the C heads?

Third question: Will my Bassani mid length headers work with the C heads?

Fourth question: My coolant crossover tube will not work, correct?

Fifth question: Which throttle cable works? Does the KB supercharger require something different than a stock 03/04 cobra?

Also, I couldn't find an all out list, it would be great to have all the Ford part numbers for gaskets and what not. Anyone have anything?
I figure when it comes time to finish up all the intercooler plumbing and gaskets it will be a real pain.

Thanks for all your help!!

jumperjack

Established Member
!st Question is yes you can use stock ignition system with the coil packs snd wires providing you are still running your stock ECU, and the valve covers should fit.
2nd.Your timing cover will not work you will nee one from an 03-04
3. I am not sure about your headers but some MFG, claim the headers for the B heads is different from the c heads as the ports are different, I would check with bassani and see what they say.
4. Your coolant crossover will not work you need one from an 03-04
5. you need the throttle cable bracket and the cable from an 03-04
You Have some homework to do on this project yet though, There are lots of little things that need to be addressed You will need an 03-04 oil cooler,03 alternator and brackets. You also need the pulley bridge and idlers inside and outside ones. you will also have to relocate your IAT sensor to supercharger mounting plate and then that will be your IAT2 temp. This should get you started. If you have any questions just shoot me a pm. I am going turbo so I have some of the parts you still need just shoot me a pm.
Jack

Last edited:

98KBcobra

SVT Poster
Established Member
Thanks for the info! A lot of those little details I wouldn't find out until it was too late!

Toasty

Established Member
Currently have a 98 cobra, built engine and a KB. So my 1.5 KB is coming off and a new bigger one is going on. Obviously I will have to do the C head swap, been all over the internet and really couldn't find the exact answers.

I have 2004 cobra heads, 03 cobra lower, intercooler and coolant adapter. (Not on car yet). Still have to get: overflow reservoir, coolant pump, front mount heat exchanger, new head gaskets?

First question: I understand that I can use my same ignition set up and valve covers?

Second question: Will my front timing cover work with the C heads?

Third question: Will my Bassani mid length headers work with the C heads?

Fourth question: My coolant crossover tube will not work, correct?

Fifth question: Which throttle cable works? Does the KB supercharger require something different than a stock 03/04 cobra?

Also, I couldn't find an all out list, it would be great to have all the Ford part numbers for gaskets and what not. Anyone have anything?
I figure when it comes time to finish up all the intercooler plumbing and gaskets it will be a real pain.

Thanks for all your help!!

Dude, you need a pile more parts to make the swap to an 03-04 style Eaton, KB or whipple work.

The SC snout on the 03-04 sticks out further than the 96-98 KB or the 99-01 KB (afaik on the 99-01), and therefore you must get the 03-04 pulley setup which encompasses a whole extra belt system and a pulley bridge, relocation of the alternator, alternator bracket, etc etc etc etc etc...

98KBcobra

SVT Poster
Established Member
So the supercharger is run on an independent belt driven system from the accessories?

KazooGS-T

Established Member
!st Question is yes you can use stock ignition system with the coil packs snd wires providing you are still running your stock ECU, and the valve covers should fit.
2nd.Your timing cover will not work you will nee one from an 03-04
3. I am not sure about your headers but some MFG, claim the headers for the B heads is different from the c heads as the ports are different, I would check with bassani and see what they say.
4. Your coolant crossover will not work you need one from an 03-04
5. you need the throttle cable bracket and the cable from an 03-04
You Have some homework to do on this project yet though, There are lots of little things that need to be addressed You will need an 03-04 oil cooler,03 alternator and brackets. You also need the pulley bridge and idlers inside and outside ones. you will also have to relocate your IAT sensor to supercharger mounting plate and then that will be your IAT2 temp. This should get you started. If you have any questions just shoot me a pm. I am going turbo so I have some of the parts you still need just shoot me a pm.
Jack

Actually, the ports on the head are not different. The EGR/smog setup locations on the headers are though.

I have c-head manifolds on my car, without a single problem, only difference is the EGR. There is one port on each manifold for the b-head and the big port on the drivers side further down.

The C-heads only have the one big port, (one port compared to three) which was ideal for me because I deleted the EGR setup completely.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
jumperjack;9110413 I am not sure about your headers but some MFG said:
Actually, the ports on the head are not different. The EGR/smog setup locations on the headers are though.

The 99/01 C heads and the B heads share the same exhaust ports while the 03/04 exhaust port is unique and much larger. 96-98 and 99/01 headers can be used on the 03/04 heads.

Last edited:

KazooGS-T

Established Member
The 99/01 C heads and the B heads share the same exhaust ports while the 03/04 exhaust port is unique and much larger. 96-98 and 99/01 headers can be used on the 03/04 heads.
I meant the flange, that is my fault. I know you've noticed how much larger the runners are on the exhaust manifolds compared to how small the ports on our heads are.

98KBcobra

SVT Poster
Established Member
Thanks for the info. Thankfully I won't be doing all this myself and I have been working with a local shop that I have been taking my car to for years. They are familiar with this upgrade but I wanted to make sure I source the majority of the parts prior.

98KBcobra

SVT Poster
Established Member
That's sweet. I never liked the blower on the same belt as everything else.

So now I am officially the proud owner of a 2.6H, gonna keep the methanol and the nitrous on the car. I'll keep everyone up to date as I progress through the build.

flowgoode

F it!
Established Member
That's sweet. I never liked the blower on the same belt as everything else.

So now I am officially the proud owner of a 2.6H, gonna keep the methanol and the nitrous on the car. I'll keep everyone up to date as I progress through the build.

I would ditch the meth unless you are spraying the meth after the blower. It will eat the coating on the rotors.

Users who are viewing this thread