97 cobra project. your thoughts please

96 svt snake

Established Member
Hey svt folks. The community on this site is fantastic. I am looking at a 97 cobra that has a rod knock. I can get it for $2900. It has a new cobra bumper that needs to be painted. There is a TR-3650 transmission with new clutch installed. There are roughly 38000 miles on car. What are your thoughts on buying the car and building the motor either for NA or forced induction? Or there is a 97 with 28k i can pick up for 8500.

Thanks in advance

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
It depends on how the condition (paint and body are on both cars). But if you have intentions of building a motor with insane amounts of boost then a $2900 Cobra is hard to pass up. Buy it, build the motor, sell the 3650 and swap in a T56 magnum. Build the rear end. Swap to 04 Cobra 9 thread C heads, then either Wipple 3.4 Crusher, Kenne Bell 2.8 LC Mammoth, or Twin Turbo the hell out of it. :)

96 svt snake

Established Member
The one with 28k is in excellent condition. The one with bad motor has its typical discoloring of rio red plastic pieces like the fake scoops on side has its scratches here and there. Also the guy hit a high curb so core support has been tweaked. The frame is not bet and drives true. What would the average cost to build a motor? Im new to the building world of mustangs, been driving them for years and have gotten my feet wet with turboing a civic. My budget is between 5-10k thats the range id like to keep it in not including the car cost in that budget of course if i bought the bad motor one

LDC2335

Established Member
Body work/paint is expensive. If the cheap one is in really good shape, I'd go that route.

Especially if you plan to build the motor anyway.

96 svt snake

Established Member
Its going to need front bumper painted, the original rims were destroyed he sprayed them black. Its got some curb rash and rear bumper at bottom where he rubbed a curb. Anyone know how yo add a picture to the post?

Attaus

Established Member
Buy the low miles one for $8500. You can probably bring him down to $8k.

The 'cheaper' one will not be cheaper once you rebuild the motor, paint it, etc. The nicer one that is already done will be a much better platform, and cause much fewer headaches. Also it will be worth more should you ever want to sell it.

I've gone the cheaper route multiple times and it's never cheaper, and never worth it. Buy the creampuff and build from there.. it would be much better.

Prototype007

Established Member
If you're going to build it to make some real power, then buy the cheaper one. Doesn't matter if the motor is new or used, stock internals won't survive.

If it's just a car to enjoy driving, buy the nicer car.

mustang3X

Established Member
A beat up cobra with a rod knock, paint issues, and all sorts of personal "custom touches" like a bent core support. A. does not have 38k miles on it, and B. isn't worth squat, let alone $2,900

Go for the low miles cobra, you will always be further ahead paying for a clean low miles car, than getting a "bargain" beat up one.

96 svt snake

Established Member
Thanks for all the responses ive been thinking the same thing today mustang3x. I figured i could completelybuild that one. But i looked things up and i mine as well spend the 8k and get a really good condition one and build off that. I will post pictures once i pick it up next week.

MysticChaos

Established Member
I agree with Attaus and mustang3x. I went the cheap route on my $3500 dollar Mystic and I'm already into it more than I spent on the car and haven't even addressed the motor, suspension, paint & bodywork, brakes, or interior. I think I'd go the for the nice one if it was me.

96 svt snake

Established Member
Thanks, Guys. I will definitely be doing some quick shots when i get it in its sleeping place for the winter right next to a 05 roush mustang. Ill be doing a build progress thread on this for sure. Stoked to be picking one up finally.

Users who are viewing this thread