97 Cobra (low mileage/original)- should I do any mods?

SN95SVT

Established Member
I had the chance last year to buy a 97 Cobra from the original owner. It is a bit of a unique car as it is a low-option car (the guy only ordered the spoiler) and it has cloth interior. It is Rio Red with saddle interior, which makes it 1 of 13 built. Plus, it is 100% original and it only has 4900 miles on it. It was the classic story where the guy bought a lot of cars and did not drive them and I bought it at a fair price. I ended up putting new tires (factory correct/BFG) on the car and flushed all of the fluids at the Ford dealer before I put it away for the winter in storage.
So, here is my question- like most of you on this forum, I feel the need to modify the car a bit to get the additional power that I am looking for. I am thinking of going with a new exhaust (more for the nicer sound), moving to 4.10 gears (for better acceleration) and adding a cold in intake. That is about it. I just have some reservations about doing this type of work to this type of low-mileage, low-production number car as it is a survivor.
So the question is- should I do the mods or should I just sell it outright and look for another car I can play with a bit (maybe a higher mileage 03/04 Mach 1). Any and all feedback is appreciated. Thank you!! ERIC

mustang3X

Established Member
Yes, mod it. Many of the parts on these cars suck and some can even break other parts, like the crappy shifter not being good for the shift forks.

If you are really worried about originality then save all the old parts.

My car has 16k miles and I've done interior work, suspension changes, etc, all bolt on nothing done to the engine. Sold all my old parts on CL or threw them in the trash. It now runs better and is more comfortable to drive than it was in stock configuration.

Last edited:

SN95SVT

Established Member
mustang3x- thanks for the quick reply and advice. Can you please let me know which mods you did on your car? The advice is helpful. Thanks!!
PS- your car looks great!

mustang3X

Established Member
Thx, it was 100% bone stock when I got it (well, new tires and a K&N were on it)

Here is the list:

Corbeau ultra suede CR1
MGW short throw
Pioneer stereo and the OEM Ford cubby for the spot where the CD was

FRPP cobra rims
Nitto nt555
J&M race rear lower control arms
J&M cc plates
H&R sport springs
Koni Str.t shocks and struts
K&N air filter

Off road H pipe (forgot maker)

Still to waiting to install: Billet switches, clutch pedal adjuster, steeda aluminum quadrant, UPR firewall clutch adjuster, oil catch can.

On the list for this year: Global west tubular sub frames, possibly new wheels and tires (want big and little and a new look), 4:10 gear.

Last edited:

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
Wow, on a 5000 mile unique-option car I would tend to stay away from anything too wild. I would be in favor of a gear swap, new shifter, and changing to lower-restriction mufflers (keeping factory tips, that's how my car is done). The factory intake works well and is not restrictive. I would try to keep the car fairly original, at least original-appearing, however I think I would have to lower it 1" at the minimum to get a decent look.

Rokgtar

I would mod it and drive the heck out of it, just don't paint it any other color. Basically, be able to return it to stock if you want. I'm not sure how valuable these cars will ever be; my guess is not too valuable. I had a 97 Cobra, Rio Red, 146k, that I put a new motor in, did a bunch of other things, and then sold it. I really made a mistake - I wish I still had that car. Post pics when you get a chance!

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
imo you should keep it and mod it to your tastes! best of luck with it and enjoy :beer:

CJK440

Established Member
What are you going to do with it? Garage queen to keep the miles low? -Whats the point of modding?

Do you plan to rack the miles? -Less importance to keep it stock but easy enough to throw the stock parts in storage.

Cutting it up or welding it up is hard to reverse if you want to eventually sell as a "stock untouched" car.

Stolen 98

Established Member
I would mod and keep everything factory that was taken off. That's what I've been doing with my 12k mile car.

I think the cloth feature is what is rare...I wouldnt re-upholster the seats. If you must...take them out and replace with a different set and keep the stock cloth ones.

My $0.02

Tickle

Established Member
IMO, the rarity of the cloth wont get you anything extra for it, its all about the miles. Bolt ons are just that, they can be undone.

I wouldnt hesitate to mod it, tune, x-pipe, gears, etc. Those can be undone if you really want to. The miles are what you cant undo.

I say mod it, drive it, enjoy it.

oldcobraman

I would mod it. I just bought a 98 Cobra with 45,000 miles on it. The previous owner lowered it, 3.73 gears, Magna Flow catback & JLT intake. TSW wheels and Falken tires. Car runs like a bat out of hell. I love it!

Users who are viewing this thread