97 Cobra heads on Terminator??? (Engine build info)

Evilspyderman

2003 Satin Snake
Established Member
Ok, I have a 03 Cobra with a stock long block(Original heads not the Jan 2005 heads with better coolant passages and 9 spark plug threads). I have a 97 Cobra Teksid long block on my engine stand that will someday find its way under the hood. My question, is it worth my time and money to have the 97 heads sent to the machine shop for a port/polish/valve job and then use them with my future engine build?

I don't have the time or money at the moment to start on the bottom end of the Teksid. So this might be a good place to start with my budget. I know the 97 cams are different and I have the specs somewhere but I don't know if they would be better with my setup that the 03 heads.

Or should I just sell them and get some brand new heads from FRPP with the CNC work done.

Or should I go with some FR500 heads, my plan at the moment is to go with FR500 cams in the long run.

Any insight would be great, thank you in advance.

Ironhand

Banned
97 Cobra heads are B heads and WILL NOT work with the 03 Cobra lower intake and blower setup. If you want to keep the top mount setup you have to stick with the 03 heads.

The 96-98 Cobra cams have more duration, (204) then the 03 Cobra cams but both have the same exhaust cams.

Use the Teskid block, built bottom end, 03 Cobra heads and exhaust cams with your 97 Cobra intake cams.

Last edited:

GodStang

Established Member
Why are you building a N/A engine for a forced induction setup? 97 Heads will not work as said above also FR500 heads/cams are not the best idea for the PD Forced Induction setup.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
You may want to do some more research before you go to the B heads. They work best real high in rpm's with a centri blower and your gonna suffer a loss in low-end torque. If your building a strip car this will be fine but you would definitely miss the torque on the street. You can see my cars #'s in my sig. My wife's 2v makes more torque than my 98 4v. I like my 98 and it is fun to drive. But it doesn't touch the torque in the 03. When I get the funds saved up, 03 heads are going on the 98.

Last edited:

Evilspyderman

2003 Satin Snake
Established Member
Why are you building a N/A engine for a forced induction setup? 97 Heads will not work as said above also FR500 heads/cams are not the best idea for the PD Forced Induction setup.

I will in the future build the teksid because its a lighter block. I only asked about the 97 heads because I got the whole long block for 400 bucks and didn't know how much of it I could use to build a force induction motor for my 03. Didn't realize the 97 b heads were so different from the 03 heads.

I will get some new 03 heads then.

I want to bore and stroke the teksid to a 302. After a port run 15-17psi on it. People have told me that isn't a good idea because of the possibility of bending rods on stroked force induction motors. How true is that? Will a good set of "I" beams solve that? Is that to much boost for this setup?

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
I will in the future build the teksid because its a lighter block. I only asked about the 97 heads because I got the whole long block for 400 bucks and didn't know how much of it I could use to build a force induction motor for my 03. Didn't realize the 97 b heads were so different from the 03 heads.

I want to bore and stroke the teksid to a 302. After a port run 15-17psi on it. People have told me that isn't a good idea because of the possibility of bending rods on stroked force induction motors. How true is that? Will a good set of "I" beams solve that? Is that to much boost for this setup?

For the Teskid and B headed motor you need to head over to the other forum SN95 Cobras - SVTPerformance. The guys there know their B heads ;-)

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

I want to bore and stroke the teksid to a 302. After a port run 15-17psi on it.
People have told me that isn't a good idea because of the possibility of bending rods on stroked force induction motors.
These people telling you this, do they have any engine building background?

How true is that?-----They are wrong. The down side to stroking is piston skirt damage, because of the distance the skirt comes out the bottom of the block.

How true is that? False.

Will a good set of "I" beams solve that? Could we just stop for a minute please?

Is that to much boost for this setup?

I would like to know why you are doing any of this in the first place???
You do not mention blowing up an engine or having bad compression.
I would also like to know who is going to assemble and install this engine and degree the cams.
Are they available to talk to also?
It seems to me you are doing a lot of things the hard way here, and I'd like more info.

What is hurt on this original engine that absolutely needs to be replaced?

Evilspyderman

2003 Satin Snake
Established Member
I would like to know why you are doing any of this in the first place???
You do not mention blowing up an engine or having bad compression.
I would also like to know who is going to assemble and install this engine and degree the cams.
Are they available to talk to also?
It seems to me you are doing a lot of things the hard way here, and I'd like more info.

What is hurt on this original engine that absolutely needs to be replaced?

My roommate read a forum post about a guy that bent some manley forged H beam rods on a 4v 4.6l that was stroked running higher boost (can't remember but I think was over 15psi). It was off of some random forum and I wanted to know if it was just a bad engine build or a know problem and a bad idea. Didn't think much of it until another guy at work said he had read something to the same effect and told me not to stroke it. Not professionals by any means.

The original engine is still running, and has 97k on the clock. Possible driverside head tick. I get a cloud of white/blue smoke every time I start the car. Doesn't seem to continue to burn oil while I drive or when it idles. No noticeable changes in oil level on the dip stick. It gets worse the longer it has sit. Like more oil has dripped from the bad valve seat onto a piston. This is why I wanted to do heads first. I think the valve seats are worn and need to be reworked. Haven't compression tested the motor to rule out bad rings.

After it was said I realized how dumb it sounded to want to build NA heads for a boosted motor. I have just been thinking about them as spare 4v heads and not NA versus SC heads.

I am planning on having a place called "The Horsepower Ranch" do the engine work I don't feel comfortable doing or can't figure out. The short block is a long term project. I have not consulted them because I'm not ready to start that project yet. Just curious of the options I have.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread