97 cobra getting hot?

The Commander

Established Member
I have a 97 cobra and it's acting like it getting hot but my tuner said it was running in between 190-195 degrees when he turned it and says something is wrong with the temp gauge but it's cutting off when I hit the clutch to stop and after it warms up the fan stays on constantly and it has never done this before unless I've been in high traffic when I had to stop for lights a lot and once I got back on the highway it would level back off and go back to running normal and I burped the cooling system like 2 times just to be sure and has a new thermostat if anyone has a idea what could be wrong I would appreciate the help.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
"it's cutting off when I hit the clutch to stop": And the EGR is not having a problem closing properly due to being dirty?

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
If your speedometer is not working due to the lack of a VSS signal, it could be causing your engine to die when you hit the clutch to stop.

I have to burp mine 4-5 times when it needs to be burped.

Last edited:

nomoretickets

Established Member
Double check that (1) you got the correct T-Stat. The Cobra uses one slightly different than other 4.6 motors; (2) the T-Stat isnt bad. I replaced a stuck t-stat and then chased a cooling gremlin for months, wound up convinced it was a headgasket, only to pull the t-stat and discover I had a factory dud; and (3) make sure you installed the T-stat correctly. the 96-98's install reverse from other 4.6's i believe (i just stuck mine in the same way the original came out, defer to anyone with a higher post count on this one)

Users who are viewing this thread