97 Cams in 04 Heads

lcarpen_2000

Established Member
I have a 97 Cobra and I just finished rebuilding the bottom end with a DSS girdle, ARP main bolts, CP pistons, Total Seal Rings, and Manley rods.

I was going to rebuild the heads but the guides were shot and they needed alot of work just to get them back to stock so I bought some 04 heads and swapping my upper and lower intake for a 99.

I ended up keeping the 97 camshafts and have heard they may be more aggressive than the 04's but I have not been able to find specs on either the 97's or the 04's to figure this out.

I am running in NA trim at 9:3 compression and will for at least a year.
Any ideas?

Also I have the cam tool but it doesn't work on the exhaust camshafts - what do you guys use?

lcarpen_2000

Established Member
yeah i have heard that before about using just the intake cams. You guys know anyone who has actually done it?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
You'll get about 10 more hp with the 96-98 intake cams. The exhaust in all the 4m motors is the same, or so close it doesn't matter. This is a common swap in teh Mach world but you won't find many people that can give you numbers.

lcarpen_2000

Established Member
ok - I will give the 97 intake cams a shot. My cam tool doesn't seem to work on the exhaust cams so this should not be a problem. I wanted to set the timing on this thing but it seems that the solid lifter requirement has stumped me for now.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
ok - I will give the 97 intake cams a shot. My cam tool doesn't seem to work on the exhaust cams so this should not be a problem. I wanted to set the timing on this thing but it seems that the solid lifter requirement has stumped me for now.

I can send ya a solid lifter to use.

Users who are viewing this thread