96 cobra with V1

96mystic#899

Established Member
What's the most boost this stock motor could handle. Currently on a 6lb pulley but want to up the boost. I've upgraded the pump to a 340 stealth, 60lb inj., stock tb, lightning maf. I believe the sc pulley is 3.60 (haven't measured it and it doesn't have any visible markings on it). Any opinions are welcomed. Thank you.

sent using nunya

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
It has alot to do with the timing also. I'm at 505 on a t trim 3.33 pulley with meth

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
It all depends i only rev to 6200 also. Been running it like that for 4 years and it's held up

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
I ran mine at 462/420 for about 4 months at 10 lbs before it grenaded, but in my defense the previous owner was shooting juice through it, unsure of what size shot though.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I ran 10psi with a T-trim. Made 475rwhp. blew up not to long after. then my t45 blew up after that.

bullitt_11

Established Member
Mine made 492 with the 3.60 pulley (10psi) Ran it hard for 2 years like that. Zero issues.

How much timing did the tuner give it when it made 398? I would say it has a lot more left in it on that pulley...

nomoretickets

Established Member
I think the real question is can you afford to replace your motor if something goes pop? Generally everyone agrees that staying below 400 is fair play with a centri. Going above that can be done, but there are a lot of variables in play as far as making it last. If you dont have the financial flexibility to cover the loss if the tuner makes an error, a batch of bad gas, bad luck, etc. then why risk it?

SVTPete83

Established Member
Mine made 480 and survived 8 drag strip passes before the ring lands let go. I was running an s trim at 11psi. My advice, don't up your power until you are ready financially to upgrade the block.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
^^ this is also a fact.. But I'm hoping this Holley setup keeps me from blowing anything else up. I want to be able to enjoy it. If I don't feel confident in it, it's going bye bye

96mystic#899

Established Member
I think the real question is can you afford to replace your motor if something goes pop? Generally everyone agrees that staying below 400 is fair play with a centri. Going above that can be done, but there are a lot of variables in play as far as making it last. If you dont have the financial flexibility to cover the loss if the tuner makes an error, a batch of bad gas, bad luck, etc. then why risk it?
Absolutely right......you've made perfect sense. I'm leaving it alone. Thank you.

sent using nunya

SVTPete83

Established Member
^^ this is also a fact.. But I'm hoping this Holley setup keeps me from blowing anything else up. I want to be able to enjoy it. If I don't feel confident in it, it's going bye bye

It will man!! I am just waiting to get to go cruise with you! I'm living a little closer now too. Just south of Napa. We might have to steal the wife's RS for a sears point Day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Oh shit man!! I didn't even notice!! I'm out in Brentwood! We're super close! That's awesome man! Still waiting for my car to be done lol. But atleast you're closer :D

greasy

SVT Noob
Established Member
I've been at 500RWHP for over 3 years now, car is holding up fine knock on wood. I spin it to ~7K when on the street and it's been holding up. Novi 2000 with a 3.5" pulley making around 12 lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread