96 Cobra Turn signal and brake lights

tjensen717

Established Member
Hey guys, just got the cobra out from winter hibernation and found the turn signals and brake lights arent working. I ordered the relay from american muscle and still no luck. Should my next route be to start chasing wires or look into the brake light swith and turn signal switch? Headlights still work and I have splice in sequentials for 2 years and worked just fine. Please help! IMG_0237.JPG

LDC2335

Established Member
It's almost always the multi-function switch. Otherwise, I'd suggest the fuse,relay or a bad flasher. Do your hazards work?

Snagmaster

Established Member
My turn signals and flashers stopped working and after buying a new flasher they still didn't work, I called my GF's son who works at a Ford dealership and he came over to check it out.

He said the multi-function switch has a habit of puking and needing replacement but after a few checks all he did was re-set the system and its all good again.

I still don't know how to reset it but it's probably in the service manual or easily found online, probably turn the key on and off five times or something like that.

My car is a 98 Cobra Vert with 35k miles, only other issue I've had so far was the fuel pump died at 29k but it was pretty easy to replace.

Snagmaster

Established Member
Thanks guys! No hazards, do you still think malfunction switch? Is it located back by the brake lights?

They meant the multifunction switch, it's the switch inside the steering column your turn/wiper switch is attached to, there is a post above that had the link to an ad for a new one at Amazon.com.

Snagmaster

Established Member
Thanks guys! No hazards, do you still think malfunction switch? Is it located back by the brake lights?

It's almost always the multi-function switch. Otherwise, I'd suggest the fuse,relay or a bad flasher. Do your hazards work?

To LDC2335:

That is one nice vert you have there, it's the car that brought me here after I found a pic of it on bling yesterday, mines going to stay mostly stock but I'll be picking up a 96 mystic hardtop towards the end of the year and dropping a Coyote Aluminator in it and mod that instead, mine will get dropped and get a better exhaust though.

Enjoy

SVTCOBRA9629

Established Member
Hey just in case it's none of the above I had a issue with my turn signals. They stopped working right before I went to Korea. My cousin tracked it down to a bolt worked it way into the wiring harness underneath the steering column causing short to ground. Will get further info if u like he had it fixed by the time I got back . Hope this helps.

tjensen717

Established Member
Hey just in case it's none of the above I had a issue with my turn signals. They stopped working right before I went to Korea. My cousin tracked it down to a bolt worked it way into the wiring harness underneath the steering column causing short to ground. Will get further info if u like he had it fixed by the time I got back . Hope this helps.

Thanks! I have the switch on the way so when I have to pull the column apart ill search for broken wires. Thanks to all for your comments! Greatly appreciated

LDC2335

Established Member
To LDC2335:

That is one nice vert you have there, it's the car that brought me here after I found a pic of it on bling yesterday, mines going to stay mostly stock but I'll be picking up a 96 mystic hardtop towards the end of the year and dropping a Coyote Aluminator in it and mod that instead, mine will get dropped and get a better exhaust though.

Enjoy
Thanks man, keeps me busy. Good luck!

WZL 96

SN95 Wrangler
Established Member
This may be of no help, but I noticed the turn signals on my 96 will go out if I mess with the hazard button. I have to keep it pressed to one side. If if move it around my signals will not work. I don't know anything about the turn signal switches in these cars but I figure this might be related to you.

tjensen717

Established Member
No the front signals do not work. Nor the hazards or brake lights but the rear lights do work with the headlights. Malfunction switch should be here early tomorrow I'll post as soon as I know anything.

teddygram

I am fighting this same issue also on my car. This thread has been helpful so far. My tail lights and turn signal's do not work but my head lights and brights work fine. I know it's not the switch because I purchased a new one from ford to try. I unplugged the switch above the brake pedal and power probed the plug and the center rear tail light turned on and not the tail lights. I really hate electrical!!!!

Last edited:

Noreast

Established Member
I had this issue and i kept blowing the fuse #8 ( pretty sure ) It was because the aftermarket quadrant sliced a wire under the dash so everytime i hit the clutch it would short and blow the fuse.

tjensen717

Established Member
Put the switch in, turned it on, no luck no hazards turn signals or brake lights. I checked all the fuses that I thought it could be now I'm for sure stuck. :( time to chase wires?

Rosco

Established Member
Did you check the fuses under the dash and hood? The panel under the steering column sometimes is overlooked.

Snagmaster

Established Member
Hazard Switch to the side issue

This may be of no help, but I noticed the turn signals on my 96 will go out if I mess with the hazard button. I have to keep it pressed to one side. If if move it around my signals will not work. I don't know anything about the turn signal switches in these cars but I figure this might be related to you.

They sell a spray product call. "Craig de-Oxit" at Fry's and Radio Shack or online that is an oxidation treatment for electrical contacts and switches, take some and spray into the switch, you may even be able to leave it in place to do this, then cycle the switch up and down about 20 times and wait a few minutes.

There are many electrical and contact cleaners out there that absolutely will not do anything but this product actually works, most switches die due to dust or oxidation and this will clean them right up.

I collect stereo equipment and sometimes they have "scratchy" controls that I have sprayed the hell out of with contact cleaner and it never worked, this stuff is a snake oil in a can that actually works, I use it on every electrical connection in my cars and have never had to go back and do it again after it's first use.

They make two types, regular and Gold, gold is twice the price but as I said, it's magic in a can.

blwnmstc

Established Member
I had this issue and i kept blowing the fuse #8 ( pretty sure ) It was because the aftermarket quadrant sliced a wire under the dash so everytime i hit the clutch it would short and blow the fuse.

I had this same issue too. OP do u have a after market clutch quadrant? If so u should check the wiring underneath the dash.

Users who are viewing this thread