96 Cobra PCM/CCRM fan control inputs required.

BeanCrusher

Sidetracked yet again.
Established Member
So I am getting deep in the weeds here perhaps... Does anyone out there know what inputs the 96 Cobra PCM needs in order to control the cooling fan according to coolant temperature? I have scoured the service manuals, PC/ED and EVTM and it appears to me that only ECT and VSS should be needed, but apparently there is something(s) else needed as well.

This is my vexing problem of the moment in my Coyote swap. I have installed the PCM ECT sensor and wiring onto the 5.0 and have it connected to the 96 PCM. I have confirmed that the PCM is reading the coolant temp via my scanner and have let the coolant heat up to 240+ with both no wheelspeed and 10MPH wheelspeed and neither low nor high fan ever turns on. I can turn both high and low on using the scan tool, so the CCRM is good, and the PCM is sending it signals.

I could just take the easy way out and let the Coyote PCM control the fan...but I rarely choose the easy/smart way...:nonono:

And, in case anyone is curious, the "inferred coolant temp" that the Coyote PCM arrives at using the cylinder head temperature tracks actual coolant temperature pretty closely..

Users who are viewing this thread