96 Cobra engine goes south.........

Poiznus

Super Cool SVT Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by blown5.0
Did you purchase a forged block or an OEM one?

OEM. Not going to get "to" crazy with this motor. The car will be around 475 rear wheels when finished. Not planning on going much farther then that.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by Poiznus
OEM. Not going to get "to" crazy with this motor. The car will be around 475 rear wheels when finished. Not planning on going much farther then that.

OEM pistons are going to last that long if you are shooting that high. I would have done it right the first time, wait I did :).

Poiznus

Super Cool SVT Poster
Established Member
I was talking to the local Mustang guy this morning about some ideas. I'm still planning on rebuilding the engine when it comes in. Putting forged rods and pistons in there. Putting new valves and other things that may need to be done.

Problem is, none of this is going to help if the engine detonates again..........?

Peter

Established Member
Problem is that by the time you start opening
an OEM block to stuff in the forged internals ,
I think it would be cheaper just to have gotten
a done long block. But if you put in the OEM block
keep the A/F ratio at about 11:5, and only use the best gas available in your area.
Also look into an MSD-4 system,you can take some timming out over 4000 which can help.

Poiznus

Super Cool SVT Poster
Established Member
Peter, you are correct. It would have been cheaper to get a done block, but I do not have a block to give them and it would have cost me much more because of that.

Does anyone know if the GT block is tha same as the Cobra? If so, I could put my crank in that block and have a safer motor?? A local guy wants to get rid of his 2000 GT block that has forged internals right now.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by Poiznus
Peter, you are correct. It would have been cheaper to get a done block, but I do not have a block to give them and it would have cost me much more because of that.

Does anyone know if the GT block is tha same as the Cobra? If so, I could put my crank in that block and have a safer motor?? A local guy wants to get rid of his 2000 GT block that has forged internals right now.

No, they aren't the same block.

And one detonation occurence on forged pistons shouldn't be a big deal, if you buy quality pistons. That's what they are for, so you can beat on them and they keep going.

Peter

Established Member
Thats true Booyah but detonation is not good in any motor
forged internals or not, I have a friend who punched a hole in a forged piston after he said was the only occurence. If you have one detonation you will probably get more. You need the right
tune no matter what.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by Peter
Thats true Booyah but detonation is not good in any motor
forged internals or not, I have a friend who punched a hole in a forged piston after he said was the only occurence. If you have one detonation you will probably get more. You need the right
tune no matter what.

That's why I say "shouldn't". If you go dumping another 8 psi on top of the old setup without a good gradual tune then you are asking for bad news. And from personal experience I would also like to recommend letting the computer do most of the work as far as enrichment methods. Why, because mechanical enrichment can malfunction and still operate causing some serious problems. If the chip craps out your car more than likely(99.5%) won't even start. Just my opinion.

Poiznus

Super Cool SVT Poster
Established Member
I'm going to post a few pictures. I have not done anything with the car yet. I took these pictures a few minutes ago...........

blue02svt

Established Member
a gt motor has a weaker crank they are not the samestock.
unless it has an aftermarket crank the cobra crank is the way to go. unless you have a lot of money then you can go to a stroker crank from shm or modmaxbut they are very costly.

Poiznus

Super Cool SVT Poster
Established Member
Peter, I have not looked at the engine at all. But, it should be taken down in the near future. I really do not have time to deal with the mess right now. I'm very interested in seeing what happend in there though. I will take pictures and post them when it is apart for you guys. :thumbsup:

Peter

Established Member
Sorry, I didnt want to drive you crazy, but I think it
would be good for you to have some clues as
to what happened to avoid this in the future-
it may have been very lean- blew off ring landings
I have seen that happen with aggresive tunes.

Poiznus

Super Cool SVT Poster
Established Member
Peter, I'm always open to anyones ideas. I'm pretty sure it was not running lean though. In fact, I checked the oil right before it blew and I could smell traces of gas in it. So, I think it was dumping to much gas causing it to go past the rings or I had a leaky injector. May have had a bad ring land at that time also. I'm going to do a few things differant so this will not happen again.

This is the dyno from a while back at #8 Psi. The only differance is I had #11 Psi on it when it blew.

Users who are viewing this thread