96 Cobra engine goes south.........

Poiznus

Super Cool SVT Poster
Established Member
Well, it was fun while it lasted. I blew a chunk out of it today going down the interstate. Guess the engine did not like 10 Psi on it.......

Anyone know where I can find a new block for it??

ESBC

Established Member
My engine went south also and i asked the same question about a week ago. So i will share some of my findings. I would upgrade the block if i were you..so you don't blow another.

SHM- has some long blocks that do not require core but are a little expensive. They claim on one engine that it will hold 25psi.

DSS-had a iron long block for 3999.00. They told me that an aluminum long block with out core would be up around 10k for race prep'd engine.

Modular performance- had some blocks but i did not look into it.

This is all long blocks. They all had short blocks that were cheaper.

ESBC

Poiznus

Super Cool SVT Poster
Established Member
Thanks for your reply ESBC! I'm looking into a few options right now. I'm going to go and look at what the people that you mention have available. I want something that will not do this again for sure!

97greensnake

cUban cRime wAve
Established Member
get a 03 engine from a junkyard or im sure u can order one and hen sell all your parts ..orrrrrr drop a lighting engine...im not sure if u can but id do it =0]

Poiznus

Super Cool SVT Poster
Established Member
I think you have to do quite a few modifications to the car to be able to fit a 5.4 in there. YES, I would love to do that. But, not going to go in that direction. An 03 engine would be pretty cool, but I have a blower and aftercooler that fits the 96-98 engine and want to stay with that setup.

Thanks for the ideas!

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
are the Iron blocks a 6 bolt main like the Alum ones? Any other differences that make it a machine-work nightmare to use on a DOHC setup?

ESBC

Established Member
I do not know much about the iron block replacement. They did tell me that there could be alot of additional cost to get everything done.

I got a price quote from DSS that was respobable but it included using my block and crank and heads. They say the engine is good up to 750 hp and can hold upwards of 20lbs of boost.

I dont' want to give all the details in public forum so if you want more let me know..Email me at [email protected].

This setup is comparable to the SHM setup.

ESBC

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Cool, DSS does good work. I've been to their new shop in St. Charles, and they seem to still be "unpacking". Very reputable place though.

Peter

Established Member
SHM 575 HP long block is a very stout piece, a friend of mine
has been using one for a while with 14lbs of boost.
Its an aluminum long block with forged internals stage 1
cams,stage 1 heads and you can pick a static compression
lower than your stock 9:8 to1 this is a core exchange
for 7,000 the 800 hp block adds billet rods and stage 2 heads
for 9,000. The Aluminum block has 6-bolts the 03 iron has
4-bolts because of the flexing property of aluminum.

Poiznus

Super Cool SVT Poster
Established Member
I think I'm going to buy another block just like the one I have and put forged internals in it. I just do not know how much power the stock block can handle. :shrug:

Peter

Established Member
The stock aluminum block itself can handle over 750HP, If you put in forged internals and use 9:1 pistons you will have a very solid piece. I just wonder how much you would actually save by doing
it that way instead of just dropping in a done long block.

Poiznus

Super Cool SVT Poster
Established Member
Peter, you know your stuff man!

I think I have a pretty good deal lined up for a motor and the work to be done to it. I'm going to get the heads completely redone with polishing and porting. The comp. ratio will be at 9:0 to 1 when complete. Still up in the air as to what else I'm going to do with it.

Any more thoughts would be appreciated guys!

Peter

Established Member
Sounds like your on the right track, just make sure
you have somebody who has experience with the
mod beast! Let me know how you are doing.

Poiznus

Super Cool SVT Poster
Established Member
Thanks man! I have talked with JMS and I'm going to get those guys to build the motor for me. From what I have heard, those guys know the mod motor pretty good. And they are some of the best guys I have delt with over the phone. :thumbsup:

I appreciate all the help guys!! :beer:

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by Peter
The stock aluminum block itself can handle over 750HP, If you put in forged internals and use 9:1 pistons you will have a very solid piece. I just wonder how much you would actually save by doing
it that way instead of just dropping in a done long block.

This was my exact setup. However, you can't be lazy on the tune or you will loose quite a bit of torque. Just get it tuned and you will notice no difference in power from the compression drop.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
if your looking for 'stock' check out car-parts.com I saw Mark VIII MOTORS for $750. Then you could swap parts? Just a suggeston from a FWD guy :)

Poiznus

Super Cool SVT Poster
Established Member
The car had about 53,000 miles on it and about 3,000 miles with the charger. Really not sure as to why it gave way.......

I went ahead and bought another engine. It is a complete engine and transmission for $2900. I thought about doing the Mark motor, but for some reason did not. At least this way I will have some spare parts. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread