96 cobra dyno????

lookinfor cobra

Established Member
well just had my car tuned and Im kinda botherd by the final numbers? 284 rwhp and 268 rwtq? does this sound ok? I dont know how to post picts so I cant but it looks smooth the way to 7100 rpm? I have intake full exh, pullies t/b,stage II ported intakethe base run was 258 rwhp before the ported intake and after was 274rwhp the runs were all done in 4th gear and the car has A t-56 and 4.56's could the gears and trans be playing with the dyno numbers the car has gone a best of 13.73 with a 2.2 60 on street tires @ 106 mph please help......thanks mike

Lazerred98cobra

Established Member
With that kind of MPH you should be able to hit high 12s with drag radials and a good 60' time. Those numbers sound pretty decent to me maybe a little low but not to bad.

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
It seems to me the torque is a little low. Might have something to do with the full exhuast and ported intake though. The 4.56s should be netting you low 13's alone, and the rest of the mods should be high 12s on sticky tires like stated above.
I'd say the HP number is reasonable.

SVTclutch

Established Member
DJ98Cobra said:
Your 4.56's will drop your HP a little.

Especially in 4th gear ... I would think :shrug: But yeah you should be in the 12's with some sticky tires

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
Are dynos always done in 4th gear? What happens if a car is dynoed in 3rd gear?

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
Every dyno I've seen has been in 4th... My Dad's ZF transaxle Pantera was done in fourth, all the way up to 145 mph... Its AWESOME to see the car unload on the dyno when you back off. Whole car lifts when loaded, then just rocks the entire car up and down when unloaded. Pretty sweet.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
It is done in fourth gear because the 4th gear in the tranny is a 1:1 ratio. If you did it in any other gear it would skew the numbers because of the ratio in the tranny.

doubletrouble

The Mad Scientist
Established Member
SVTclutch said:
Especially in 4th gear ... I would think :shrug: But yeah you should be in the 12's with some sticky tires

That's funny. When I was posting my dyno #s a while back I was saying that I was pretty sure my #s were a bit on the low side cause of 4.56s, but everyone chimed in and said no. So which is it? I heard steeper gears affect dyno #s.

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
How skewed? If it were too be done in 3rd, would the numbers be lower or higher???

lookinfor cobra

Established Member
DOUBLE I heard the same thing .... I wish someone could just tell us the truth when I go back Ill have one pull in 4th and one in 3rd gear .... I think 3rd would be a higher number???

pottsy

Established Member
If you have a ported intake and full exhaust....those are terrible numbers. Gears will drop your numbers very slightly, but not like that. Is the car running properly? Those are almost stock torque numbers...258 rwhp with full exhaust, stock cars put down more...

Maybe have it dyno'd somewhere else....? All I know is you are a good ~40 rwhp off where you should be....

lookinfor cobra

Established Member
Thanks pottsy !!! I had the car at two different dynos and got the same dynos? the a/f was 11.72 or 12.72 cant remember nice and level though... I dont have lt's is that still bad? what are you putting down? my mph is high for my rwhp ? maybe both dynos are off ? the car runs great and dont smoke at all???????

SNSTR_SNK

Established Member
lookinfor cobra said:
Thanks pottsy !!! I had the car at two different dynos and got the same dynos? the a/f was 11.72 or 12.72 cant remember nice and level though... I dont have lt's is that still bad? what are you putting down? my mph is high for my rwhp ? maybe both dynos are off ? the car runs great and dont smoke at all???????

check that a/f if it's 11.7 there's alot of your problem thats blower territory not n/a. if it's 12.7 then your about dead nuts. also what do mean by full exhaust i'm assuming this means longtubes

pottsy

Established Member
Your mph isn't really that high though...I went 105 mph with just CAI, midpipe, pulleys, tune, catback, and 4.10's--on heavy 18" wheels with no weight reduction. I would really think that with full exhaust and a ported intake you would be approaching 110....even in a full weight car. Do you have shorty headers? What about your IMRC's...did you delete those with the ported intake?

Dino S.

Established Member
mustang dyno or dyno jet?

dynojet = very weak numbers, but most dynojets out there are wildly inaccurate... chances are if your tuner is using a dynojet he/she doesn't know much about it.

mustang dyno = strong numbers, and you can't drive.

lookinfor cobra

Established Member
It was a dynojet bothe times different shops! maybe I got a factory roach? I do have imrc deletes and no headers.. going to the track with 100 octane and 44 degrees total advance and bfg drag radials we'll see what happens

96SVT_2_NV

Established Member
didnt somebody just lay down 330RWHP with full exhaust, ported intake, etc...

Users who are viewing this thread