96-98 Cobra vs 99 & 01

mikeisgod

Established Member
Hello people. I'm looking at buying a cobra within the next 90 days. I would ideally like to spend between 10-15 grand, no more than 15 if possible. I'm trying to decide which year cobra I want... I would prefer a 99 or 01 as far as looks go (but I also like the earlier ones nearly as much) ... I plan on over the next couple years modding the car... I'm really hoping for 650+ RWHP probably by using a twin turbo setup... would I have better luck with one generation over the other... Or should I just try to find a good deal w/ low mileage and go from there? One other thing I would like about the 99 & 01 is the IRS... how much $$ am I looking at spending to do a swap to IRS on a 96-98?

SloCal94

Established Member
since your going IRS.... im assuming your not going to drag..... alot of people as you probably know do axel for IRS swap.... with some cash. If i were you i would get the 99-01. Better intake desighn and personally, i think a little better styling. As for as which is better for TT..... not sure.

coolguy10786

Established Member
It'll will probably be cheaper going with an 96-98 in the long run, minus the irs swap, but that shouldn't be too much.
+96-98 have teskid, which you'll want for twin turbo

+cars are generally cheaper, miles won't matter as much since you'll have rebuild and put forged internals in for turbos anyways.

However, some 99's(i don't think any 01's, but i could be wrong) have the teskid as well. They already have the IRS, so thats one less thing to do. 99's are fairly cheap as well as some 01s.

So when i comes down to it i would go with whichever one you like best. An SN95 cobra will probably end up being cheaper, but with twin turbo, nothings cheap.

Jackie Chan

getin' slizurd on da goos
Established Member
yellow or blue 98 or 96 mystic. there is nothing too special IMO with the 99/01s(this coming from a guy with a 5.0 cobra haha). you will want to swap in the 03/04 cobra IRS anyway since its not as bad for wheel hop as the other 2

duane v

Established Member
the best n/a 4V'r is the MACH, followed by the 01 Cobra....The 96, 97 and 99 year Cobra's are the weakest.....the 98 is semi weak....DA snake boy!!!

coolguy10786

Established Member
blackfang said:
What makes the 97 and 99 weaker than the 98 saying the 99 post fix is done?
Im guessing the fact the the 98's have the rumored more aggresive tune from the factory. Also the fact that he has an 11sec 98 lol.

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
if you're going boost, there's no doubt you want a 96-98. I'm suprised no one's mentioned heads. the 96-98 heads have superior heads in terms of boost (B heads), while the 99/01 cobra heads are better for N/A applications.

This is the main reason why I chose my 96 for my twin turbos :beer:

mikeisgod

Established Member
do you have the twin turbo setup yet SVTCobra96? Or is that future mod? If you have it what kind of #s you putting down? Other mods? You can PM me if you like. Thanks

Jackie Chan

getin' slizurd on da goos
Established Member
im not a 4v guru, but the only time i thought b heads were any better for boost was in the upper rpms where you wouldnt rev anyway(like 8k)

Shangsta

Phat back
Established Member
Well if your gonna boost the car then go with the -96-98. The b heads are great for F/I applications but are a little weak sauce N/A. It all depends on what you want to do. BTW the Tesksids went through 01

blackfang

Established Member
coolguy10786 said:
Im guessing the fact the the 98's have the rumored more aggresive tune from the factory. Also the fact that he has an 11sec 98 lol.
They still put down the same amount of hp.

mystical

Established Member
blackfang said:
They still put down the same amount of hp.

I believe he was being sarcastic saying that the 98's are stronger, since he has a 98 lol. Don't know why he said a 99 is weaker though :shrug: assuming it was fixed.

cobraboy169

Speed. . . My Anti-Drug
Established Member
mikeisgod said:
Hello people. I'm looking at buying a cobra within the next 90 days. I would ideally like to spend between 10-15 grand, no more than 15 if possible. I'm trying to decide which year cobra I want... I would prefer a 99 or 01 as far as looks go (but I also like the earlier ones nearly as much) ... I plan on over the next couple years modding the car... I'm really hoping for 650+ RWHP probably by using a twin turbo setup... would I have better luck with one generation over the other... Or should I just try to find a good deal w/ low mileage and go from there? One other thing I would like about the 99 & 01 is the IRS... how much $$ am I looking at spending to do a swap to IRS on a 96-98?

I would go for the 99-01 cobra just becuase the intake is set up so that you can modify the heads and/or go with 03/04 set up. with a 96-98 cobra if you want to go with the better flowing heads like the 03/04 heads then one must change the entire intake, both upper and lower to make room for the heads and make sure that everything hooks up in its proper place. it shouldn't matter about the mileage because you are going to change a lot of the parts to make it run correctly. my choice would be a 99-01 which every you can get a better deal on. good luck and keep us updated

mystical

Established Member
cobraboy169 said:
I would go for the 99-01 cobra just becuase the intake is set up so that you can modify the heads and/or go with 03/04 set up. with a 96-98 cobra if you want to go with the better flowing heads like the 03/04 heads then one must change the entire intake

With 650rw+ and twin turbos, no need to touch the 96-98 b-heads. They shine under high psi.

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
96-98 all the way. Cheaper, solid axle, return style fuel system (better for boosted applications), and like said B-heads love boost. You can easily find a pristine 96-98 for 10k now days. You won't find a 99/01 in the same condition for as cheap as a 96-98. Not worth the extra money IMO.

Paul

mikeisgod

Established Member
I was pondering swapping in IRS, but if i'm planning on dragging this car regularly and pushing 650 RWHP+ i'll want the solid axle. I think that's what i'll do... 96-98, and i'm going to try to find black on tan.

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
Shangsta said:
Well if your gonna boost the car then go with the -96-98. The b heads are great for F/I applications but are a little weak sauce N/A. It all depends on what you want to do. BTW the Tesksids went through 01

No, the Teksids stopped after the first production run of 99's. Most 99's and all 01's (except maybe a very FEW) use the WAP block. It stands for Windsor Aluminum Plant and while the block is almost as strong as a Teksid (because of extra ribbing in the valley), the lower part of the block around the cylinders and mains is thinner and weaker. The WAP block is still as good as the Teksid in 99% of applications though.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Shangsta said:
Well if your gonna boost the car then go with the -96-98. The b heads are great for F/I applications but are a little weak sauce N/A. It all depends on what you want to do.

[/QUOTE=mystical]With 650rw+ and twin turbos, no need to touch the 96-98 b-heads. They shine under high psi.[/QUOTE]

The C-heads, combined with their much better intake, will work as good or better in both N/A and FI applications while providing you much better streetability.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread