96-98 cobra cams worth it?

03venum

Never enough HP
Established Member
I running around 19 psi right now on my Whipple rest of my mods are in my sig. Would there be any significant increases to make it worth it to put the 96-98 cobra intake cams in? Does anyone have any first hand experience on the gains from the swap?

Thanks

GodStang

Established Member
God no. Cams in general are not a huge increase. The only time cams are ever worth it is if your engine is out. It would come out to about $100 per hp if not more. Have seen cases where it was ~$500 per hp.

Chances50

Established Member
I running around 19 psi right now on my Whipple rest of my mods are in my sig. Would there be any significant increases to make it worth it to put the 96-98 cobra intake cams in? Does anyone have any first hand experience on the gains from the swap?

Thanks

yes, for $200 you can gain 20-30rwhp.

Many NA Machs have done the 96-98 cams and seen 15-25rwhp gains.

GodStang

Established Member
yes, for $200 you can gain 20-30rwhp.

Many NA Machs have done the 96-98 cams and seen 15-25rwhp gains.

1st N/A and TS are two totally different things unless you are super high boost you will not see 20-30rwhp. 2nd it is not $200. It is that for the cams now the actual swap is way way more expensive. Unless you are doing it yourself OR YOUR ENGINE IS ALREADY OUT you are looking at an additional $2K-$2.5K for the install.

cobraman302

Established Member
From what I have heard it is only really worth while in a turbo application. That is the reason I kept my stock 97 cams for the turbo.

1st N/A and TS are two totally different things unless you are super high boost you will not see 20-30rwhp. 2nd it is not $200. It is that for the cams now the actual swap is way way more expensive. Unless you are doing it yourself OR YOUR ENGINE IS ALREADY OUT you are looking at an additional $2K-$2.5K for the install.

You are joking, right? $2k-$2.5k just for installing 4 cams? I had a set of 2v cams installed for $600, and 4v cant be 4 times as expensive. I could understand $1000ish. but you bring up a good point, you must consider the labor for install.

GodStang

Established Member
From what I have heard it is only really worth while in a turbo application. That is the reason I kept my stock 97 cams for the turbo.

You are joking, right? $2k-$2.5k just for installing 4 cams? I had a set of 2v cams installed for $600, and 4v cant be 4 times as expensive. I could understand $1000ish. but you bring up a good point, you must consider the labor for install.

Please do not compare other cars, other setups, other engines when talking about a setup. The questions is will it benefit on a positive displacement blower 4V. The answer is yes slight benefits on a PD blower. The problem is installing 4V cams. You have two options. Remove everything around the engine and attempt to install and time the cams. Which is the half ass and difficult way to do it but can be done. The easiest and quickest and best way to do it is to yank the engine.

Trust me 99% of the shops out there will charge you more than $600 just to yank the engine. 4V heads are wider than 2V they are harder to work on than 2V in the sense of . I have gotten quotes as high as $3K just for the install. That is why I say if your engine is out I highly advise to do it then will save tons of money.

Parts-is-Parts

Established Member
Please do not compare other cars, other setups, other engines when talking about a setup. The questions is will it benefit on a positive displacement blower 4V. The answer is yes slight benefits on a PD blower. The problem is installing 4V cams. You have two options. Remove everything around the engine and attempt to install and time the cams. Which is the half ass and difficult way to do it but can be done. The easiest and quickest and best way to do it is to yank the engine.

Trust me 99% of the shops out there will charge you more than $600 just to yank the engine. 4V heads are wider than 2V they are harder to work on than 2V in the sense of . I have gotten quotes as high as $3K just for the install. That is why I say if your engine is out I highly advise to do it then will save tons of money.

The hardest part of an intake cam swap in a Terminator is the Cam covers.
Once the covers are off, you lock the timing chain, take the tension off the camshaft chain tensioner and pull the intake cam. Re-Install, tighten down evenly and you are done. Its actually quite simple and the 98 Cobra cams will be obvious you installed them as soon as you step on the go pedal.
Advance them 4 degrees with Cloyes HP-9 gears and it gets even better.

GodStang

Established Member
The hardest part of an intake cam swap in a Terminator is the Cam covers.
Once the covers are off, you lock the timing chain, take the tension off the camshaft chain tensioner and pull the intake cam. Re-Install, tighten down evenly and you are done. Its actually quite simple and the 98 Cobra cams will be obvious you installed them as soon as you step on the go pedal.
Advance them 4 degrees with Cloyes HP-9 gears and it gets even better.

If you can do it yourself than ya you will save a lot of money and it may be worth it. Just call a few shops and ask what they will charge to do the swap. I bet most of you will be surprised at what they charge for just labor. The gain on your setup will be less than 20rwhp which has been proven many times. Now you have to ask is it worth it. To you it may be. To most no.

Also you are claiming in that quote above you can remove the intake cams without removing the timing chain cover which is pretty impressive.

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
Of course you can remove the cams without removing the timing chain cover!
There is a guy on THIS SITE that just did a write-up with pics!

....not to mention Ive done it myself!

But to do it correctly you need to time the cams to get the full benefit of the increased duration.

Parts-is-Parts

Established Member
But to do it correctly you need to time the cams to get the full benefit of the increased duration.

I dont agree.
We just had a huge discussion on this topic at the Mach1 Registry.

If these cams were so out of whack originally, why does every mustang that rolls off the line make identical power to the one next to it?

Chances50

Established Member

I just did these cams in my Mach $100 for the cams $80 for the cam gears and installed them myself. and you can do it with the motor in the car.

Yes i know a NA vs TS are totally different the TS should see better gains than the NA setup would. and your crazy if you pay 2k for a cam install.

also the cams dont have to be degreed. with them installed strait up many Mach 1's have seen 15-20rwhp from these cams a blower car will see more.

nd yes if your not degreeing them no need to pull the timing cover off.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread