95mm MAF -- Don't wait any longer

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
I had to kill an hour before meeting my wife for margueritas.
Dropped by B&D Racing to see if my rollbar was back from being powdercoated. It was not. Bummer. Want to run LACR this weekend and use the ET Streets for a new best time. They will toss me in a heartbeat if I run what I plan to run without the rollbar.
Looking at all the cars being modified gave me an empty feeling inside --so I asked Mason what we could do in 15 minutes to give me a little more oomph. He said, 'you have the 95mm MAF, right?'.

Well, nooooooooo I did not have the 95mm MAF.
http://www.cnlperformance.com/95mm_03cobra.html
It took him at least 6 minutes to have it on. No diagnostic lights.
Took it for the 'spin'. My my my. If you have been staying pretty stock like I have, not ready for the pulley and chip but want a little more excitement than the catbacks in your life -- just get on with it. Get somebody's 95mm MAF system.

C&L claims 23 HP. Uses the stock air meter. All I know is , SOTP, feels like that much or more. You can feel it.
And you can hear it. It revs like a mofo. I've never hit 6,000+ rpm so quickly (with traction).
I burned a 1/4 tank in about 10 minutes because I had to hear it and feel it, then hear it and feel it again and again.

The mod monster has been fed again.
JW

Blades

Established Member
I heard that it doesn't offer any decent numbers and leans out like a mofo. It could be just better throttle response? Kinda like a TB? Please get that puppy dyno'd :D

jonas

Established Member
well you can always get it dyno tuned to fix the lean out of course that means a chip.

Remember your car eventually compensates for any leanout.
Thats what our o2 sensors are for, granted they are only used in closed loop (non wot) operation. The way your eec works at wot depends on data collected in closed loop.

just my 2 cents

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Did you replace just the MAF or was it a combo kit that included a MAF and a new filter? Reason I ask is that if you went from a stock airbox and MAF to a 95MM MAF and open element filter the HP you gained was more likely from the filter not the MAF.

U.M.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Originally posted by jonas
well you can always get it dyno tuned to fix the lean out of course that means a chip.

....or you could skip the chip and use an Afterburner-eFPC™

stang99

Somewhere I have the dyno charts of when I put the 95mm on my car. It definitely added RWHP and made the car run much stronger on the dyno and at the track. The a/f leaned out some but still went pig fat on the upper end. It idled perfectly and did not ping or heat up, etc. I swapped back to the stock mass air only because Danny Swanson could tune the car better with a pulley based upon the stock mass air. I bought an adapter from AR and kept the air filter and shield filter shield from the C&L. Don't worry about the "lean" issue. Your a/f will approximate a stock curve and will be plently rich when you get in the upper RPM ranges since you are running a stock pulley.
Now you have even less excuse if you don't start running some 12's.

Originally posted by jhwalker
I had to kill an hour before meeting my wife for margueritas.
Dropped by B&D Racing to see if my rollbar was back from being powdercoated. It was not. Bummer. Want to run LACR this weekend and use the ET Streets for a new best time. They will toss me in a heartbeat if I run what I plan to run without the rollbar.
Looking at all the cars being modified gave me an empty feeling inside --so I asked Mason what we could do in 15 minutes to give me a little more oomph. He said, 'you have the 95mm MAF, right?'.

Well, nooooooooo I did not have the 95mm MAF.
http://www.cnlperformance.com/95mm_03cobra.html
It took him at least 6 minutes to have it on. No diagnostic lights.
Took it for the 'spin'. My my my. If you have been staying pretty stock like I have, not ready for the pulley and chip but want a little more excitement than the catbacks in your life -- just get on with it. Get somebody's 95mm MAF system.

C&L claims 23 HP. Uses the stock air meter. All I know is , SOTP, feels like that much or more. You can feel it.
And you can hear it. It revs like a mofo. I've never hit 6,000+ rpm so quickly (with traction).
I burned a 1/4 tank in about 10 minutes because I had to hear it and feel it, then hear it and feel it again and again.

The mod monster has been fed again.
JW

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
I dyno'ed my 03 with a 95MM MAF. I was not impressed! I picked up 1 RWHP and 1/2 RWTQ over the stock MAF. I dyno'ed at Paul's Auto here in Cincy. Jamie Meyer was there also! My 2 Cents.

Tim

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
I consider a MAF upgrade on an as needed basis. In other words, once you break 600rwhp then its worth while otherwise the stock one will do just fine.

maoun

Established Member
roll cage from B&D racing in canoga park, ca

powder coating is included

i'm doin the same exact as jhwalker's....just some personal differences (video camera mount)

m.

rotorwing70

Established Member
Posted previously

I have posted these results several times before. The data speaks for its self. Dynoed again two days ago to see if the results were transient. They are not. after 500 miles the computer had optimized and the numbers went up!!! 418 hp and 404 ft/lb all SAE.

C&L Dyno Results
Please excuse the long post. On the subject of the C&L 95 mm Mass Air Kit I have some definitive dyno numbers to back up C&L’s published numbers. All the runs are on the same Dynojet dyno with the original stock baseline and FR 500 exhaust upgrade on the same day. The next set of runs, a day later but comparable runs, represent the addition of a Bassani OR X pipe and finally the last set of runs, later date, represent the addition of the C&L kit and dyno tuned Superchip. I will try the tabulate the results in a running order to show the individual gains. All numbers are SAE corrected.

Peak HP and Torque

Date Run HP/SAE Torque ft/lb SAE
Baseline Stock ~ 1000 miles
4/18 1 362.74 368.33
4/18 2 360.60 362.90

Addition of FR 500 exhaust
4/18 3 373.72 361.84
4/18 4 370.39 358.06

Addition of Bassani OR X pipe
4/19 1 378.89 367.99

Removed filter and air box
4/19 2 393.93 372.58

Baseline with exhaust upgrades ~ 1500 miles
5/1 1 385.64 374.56
5/1 2 386.31 375.81

Addition of C&L 95 mm Kit
5/1 3 407.32 383.02
5/1 4 404.28 382.97

C&L/Superchip Test Program # 1
5/1 5 408.45 393.94

C&L/Superchip Test Program # 2
5/1 6 414.69 397.84

Total increase for all modifications

Change in Peak HP HP/SAE

Stock baseline to final max = 54.09 min = 51.59

Change in Peak Torque ft/lb SAE

Stock baseline to final max = 34.94 min = 29.51

Change in Peak HP HP/SAE

Exhaust upgrade to C&L max = 21.68 min = 17.97

Exhaust upgrade to C&L max = 8.46 min = 7.16

Addition if Superchip
Change in Peak HP HP/SAE

Exhaust upgrade to Chip max = 29.05 min = 28.32

Exhaust upgrade to Chip max = 23.28 min = 22.03

The peak numbers don’t tell the whole story. The C&L 95 mm kit alone make most of its gains on the top end for both HP and Torque while the combination of the meter and Superchip gives substantial gains over the majority of the RPMs with lots of useable torque. I have a stack of dyno sheets with all manner of data on them and I will email the files to anyone who honestly wants to analyze them. There are just to many to reasonably post. The C&L + Superchip combination resulted in a air/fuel mixture of about 12.3 to 11.9 over the mid RPM range which is quite safe for our supercharged motors. As for the difference in the numbers on 4/19 and 5/1 for the exhaust upgrade I can only assume the computer optimized the A/F mixture and thus the higher numbers. All these numbers apply to my application only and I cannot guarantee your results will be the same; needless to say I am very happy with the setup.

jonas

Established Member
I think the maf isnt a cause of major restriction. The stock, air silenced airfilter/box is probably the most. Then the exhaust system. Id say dont even bother with a maf unless youve done all that and are pullied. even then Id swap the tb first. The stock maf is huge. If you want to see a restrictive maf check out the stock fox body 5.0 i think they are 60mm.

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
I already had the K&N filter. The new flter (in the kit) was a little bigger than the other K&N. Since my impressions are SOTP, I'll defer to rotorwing70 's post for facts. (thanks for the excellent documentation rotor... -- we will ask about that monniker later)

l took another person who knows the car well for a ride today and got the 'what the hell did you do now?' reaction.
I'll post when I get to the track next. One day later, I am very pleased about this mod -- the car feels like it is getting from 4500 to 6300 rpm with no effort at all.

Too much going on to make it out to LACR tomorrow so will not have factual backup for a while.
JW

Last edited:

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
The larger maf will lean things out and in turn give more power so I dont think that a few HP from adding the MAF are really from the maf but leaning out the A/F. If the stock MAF isnt pegging a larger MAF isnt gonna be worth much power wise.

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
"Removed filter and air box
4/19 2 393.93 372.58

Baseline with exhaust upgrades ~ 1500 miles
5/1 1 385.64 374.56
5/1 2 386.31 375.81

5/1 3 407.32 383.02
5/1 4 404.28 382.97 "

I donno. Going to hold off on the pulley and chip for a couple of months (if I can), but I'd suggest that if you have done the K&N and the exhaust, and are feeling like you want just a little bit more -- make a deal with your favorite shop to try it and if not satisfied, go back stock. This is a 5 minute change. In or out.

Somebody else -- do this rather than just talking about why not to do it -- and post.
JW

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
I just picked one up from ebay a few minutes ago for a little under 200. I'll report back when I get the dyno results.

stang99

The C&L is just fine if you are not going any further with your mods than a cat back exhaust. I went faster in the 1/4 and got better dyno numbers with the C&L. However, for the money, it's expensive if you decide to pulley and go back to the stock mass air because you have to buy an billet adapter to use the C&L air filter and the plastic cover fom the C&L. I wanted to keep the C&L because it is metal and it looks better than the stock plastic mass air, but, my tuner did not recommend the C&L since it was harder to tune than the stock mass air and the stock unit is more than large enough to support the RWHP that I am making. The C&L plastic shield does look very factory under the hood so all was not lost, although I now have another C&L mass air with my collection of 5.0 throttle bodies and mass airs.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
If I need to lean it out or richen it up, I'm gonna have mjchip hook me up with an afterburner and keep the pretty meter.

Tetge: Where did you get the billet adapter. Just in Case.

Users who are viewing this thread