94-98 Stang held with me , but HOW?

Mikie2001GT

The Ghost with the Most !
Established Member
I know Boo, Its goin to hell quickly :D

Carter,
We can agree to dissagree ;-)

To point out the weight reduction on the 99-02 stangs you mentioned.I weighed my 95 as did my 01 at the DMV on the scales that have to be properly calibrated.GR8WHITE can verify this.I get my info on weight the same way I get my test data... "Hands on" not from a sourcebook :read:
I have owned both cars and it is my right to opinion to say the 4.6 is superior.If the 5.0 was the best then Ford would have stayed with it, just like GM improved from a great LT1 design to move up to the all aluminum LS1 motor.LS1 is superior to the LT1 in my honest opinion.
I do not dislike the 5.0 , I would take a properly built 5.0 anyday over 75 percent of the muscle cars out there.
This thread was not started for this purpose, I did not understand what a gear drive was and was needing info on how this guy held with me.This is not a 4.6-5.0 debate because you will not change my mind & nor I yours so...
We can agree to dissagree.
Later

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Weight as observed on the SCALES

Side info:
96 Cobra 3614 lbs. Fully loaded and completely stock 13.83 @ 103
97 Cobra 3870 lbs. It did have a roll cage and some other weight
Mike's 2001 GT 3180lbs. Without jack,spare tire, and other easily removed NON ESSENTIAL weight. 13.93 @100
Don's 2001 GT 3260 lbs Just like it sets the day I bought it. Fully loaded except for auto and 6 disc changer.

manystangs

SVT Poster
Established Member
well i might as well throw my $.02 in. As far as the 5.0 vs 4.6 thing goes I would take an 87-90 5.0 stang over any 98 4.6. Now from 99 on I would probably go with the 4.6, but those late 80's 5.0's are pretty tough. Those late 80's cars actually put up some good quarter mile times. I would not take a 92-95 5.0 because that is when the engine performance began to drop. Anywho there is no replacement for displacement, if you made a 5.8 liter dohc modular engine like the cobra you would make some serious power, but good luck finding an engine compartment to fit that. Both are great engines and each has there strong point....

dan

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by manystangs
Now from 99 on I would probably go with the 4.6... Anywho there is no replacement for displacement, if you made a 5.8 liter dohc modular engine like the cobra you would make some serious power, but good luck finding an engine compartment to fit that. Both are great engines and each has there strong point....

dan

AMEN

Users who are viewing this thread